• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus's words "It is finished"

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
When he had received the drink, Jesus said, "It is finished." With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit. John 19:30

He came to do not his will but the will of his Heavenly Father. He prayed to God "Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done." (Luke 22:42). His death was the end of his purpose for the world For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. (John 3:16)

It is finished means his work to prove The Father is done.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
To bypass the DIR restriction I will state this in the form of a question: Taking this utterance and pairing it with "my God, why have you forsaken me" and "I thirst", is it possible Jesus was trying to recite Psalm 22?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Whether you believe these words are literal, or added parable, or just added, what do these words mean to you?
I believe these words are literally what Jesus said just before He died. He knew He had an important mission to fulfill here on earth, a big part of which was to take upon himself the sins of all mankind, in order that they might receive eternal life. He suffered tremendously, both in Gethsemane and on Calvary. When He uttered these words, it was an acknowledgment that He had completed all that His Father had sent Him here to do. I don't believe that the word "it" in the sentence refers to anything else or is anything other than a literal statement that meant what it said.

roger1440

I do stuff
Whether you believe these words are literal, or added parable, or just added, what do these words mean to you?
I had actually answered the question on another thread last year.

““It is finished” is a reference to Genesis 2:2-3, “2 By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work. 3 Then God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work of creating that he had done.”Jesus spends one week in Jerusalem during Passover. Jesus’s last week is a retelling of creation. The apostle Paul says something very similar in 2 Corinthians 5:17, “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!” The Gospel of Luke also makes a reference to Genesis. “Jesus answered him, "Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise.", Luke 23:43. The point is, Following Jesus is the way back to the Garden of Eden, to be in the very presence of God.” http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/3561589-post458.html

seeking4truth

I take it to mean he had fulfilled his destined mission and recognised it so.

but at that point he hadn't. I think Christians believe that his mission was to rise from the dead.

My own belief is that inspite of his pleas and prayers for God to save him from death on the cross and allow him to complete his mission to reach the 'lost sheep of the house of Israel' he felt that he had failed.
Earlier Jesus had rejected the drugged wine as he wanted to continue to plead with God to save him.
Fortunately, as following events showed, he did not die but only became unconscious so was able to go on to complete his mission.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
but at that point he hadn't. I think Christians believe that his mission was to rise from the dead.

My own belief is that inspite of his pleas and prayers for God to save him from death on the cross and allow him to complete his mission to reach the 'lost sheep of the house of Israel' he felt that he had failed.
Earlier Jesus had rejected the drugged wine as he wanted to continue to plead with God to save him.
Fortunately, as following events showed, he did not die but only became unconscious so was able to go on to complete his mission.

I think he did fail. But in the case of theological understanding it means winning. All the tribualtion in the wotld is caused by people's desire to win over others. God is not like that.

After the sixty-two 'sevens,' the Anointed One will be put to death and will have nothing. The people of the ruler who will come will destroy the city and the sanctuary. The end will come like a flood: War will continue until the end, and desolations have been decreed.Daniel 9:26

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
To bypass the DIR restriction I will state this in the form of a question: Taking this utterance and pairing it with "my God, why have you forsaken me" and "I thirst", is it possible Jesus was trying to recite Psalm 22?

Yes, there are some scholars who believe that Jesus was reciting Psalm 22, that was written by David.

2ndpillar

Dear disciple,
Apparently the "mystery of God was unfinished (Rev 10:7), but apparently he was finished with the sour wine (vinegar). He was hoping the next cup was sweet wine, to be shared on his return. (Mt 26:29)

Revelation 10:7
but in the days of the voice of the seventh angel, when he is about to sound, then the mystery of God is finished, as He preached to His servants the prophets.

John 19:30
Therefore when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, “It is finished!” And He bowed His head and gave up His spirit.