• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus

King Phenomenon

Out of all the characters that lived around the time that Jesus lived is there any proof or evidence that any of them were actually historical people that actually lived or are they fictional characters?

epronovost

Out of all the characters that lived around the time that Jesus lived is there any proof or evidence that any of them were actually historical people that actually lived or are they fictional characters?

Several are historical characters like Pontius Pilate, Herod, his brother James, Saul of Tarsus or John the Baptist. Jesus himself is considered as probably historical though his life story has been exagerated and filled with legends.

King Phenomenon

Several are historical characters like Pontius Pilate, Herod, his brother James, Saul of Tarsus or John the Baptist. Jesus himself is considered as probably historical though his life story has been exagerated and filled with legends.
So are the Gospels a bunch of lies? I'm not being sarcastic I'm being serious:)

lukethethird

unknown member
Real people or not, there is no information that corroborates the events in the gospels.

epronovost

So are the Gospels a bunch of lies? I'm not being sarcastic I'm being serious:)

We don't know. Many of them have the hallmark of myths and fabulation like miracles and display of magic and visions in the desert, etc. Others are events that simply cannot be confirmed, but are completely in the realm of possibility like Jesus sermon in Jerusalem's hills, his arrest or him chassing down money changers from the temple with a bull whip. Only one element of the gospel can be considered historically attested: Jesus was crucified under Pontius Pilate and even then the only historical source for such an event taking place is a small quote from Tacitus in the early 2nd century.

As for the OT, most of it is pseudo-historical as in inspired by actual events, but completely fictional when it's not simply myth and legends. If we take the example of the wall of Jericho. There was indeed a city named Jericho (and it still stand and is occupied). The famous ruined wall of Jericho discovered in the prior to WWII, were of a prior era to the supposed date in the OT, and the city was destroyed by the Egyptian and largely unoccupied during the late Bronze Age era (when the OT battle of Jericho was supposed to have taken place). In other words, the battle of Jericho as described in the OT never occured. Some events in the OT did occured like the exile to Babylon and following return. Some figures in the OT are also historically attested like king Solomon, but most of them aren't.

Last edited:

Samael_Khan

Goosebender

The NT and OT at worst falls into the realm of historical fiction. So there might be events that did happen and some that didn't. Much like Wilbur Smith books.

Also remember that our knowledge of history is only dependent on what we have discovered in the meantime and we dunno what evidence could have been destroyed or we are yet to uncover.

firedragon

Veteran Member

Most people believe that Jesus was historical. Also Pilate was historical.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Some people mentioned actually lived, there is independent evidence to show this. Some physical locations also are known to have existed or still do exist.

After all, a bit of reality always enhances a story. Take harry potter gir example, i have visited Alnwick castle, it does exist!

night912

No, there's no evidence to support that any of the characters were actual historical figures. There are characters that shared the same names as some historical figures.

I think Bible is one evidence.

firedragon

Veteran Member
No, there's no evidence to support that any of the characters were actual historical figures. There are characters that shared the same names as some historical figures.

You don't believe Pilate was a historical character?

Or have I misunderstood your statement?

night912

You don't believe Pilate was a historical character?

Or have I misunderstood your statement?
The character has the same name, but we don't know if it's the historical Roman figure known as Pilate, since roman records show that he is from a different time compared to the one in the bible.

It can be compared to the legend of king Arthur. Some scholars think that king Arthur was based on the Roman Arturis(not sure if spelling is correct). But there are some who disagree. There's not enough evidence to confirm either or.

firedragon

Veteran Member
The character has the same name, but we don't know if it's the historical Roman figure known as Pilate, since roman records show that he is from a different time compared to the one in the bible.

It can be compared to the legend of king Arthur. Some scholars think that king Arthur was based on the Roman Arturis(not sure if spelling is correct). But there are some who disagree. There's not enough evidence to confirm either or.

How about Pilate the Prefect or Tius Pilatus, sent by Tiberius to provide tax representation and law and order to Judaia mentioned by Josephus and Tacitus both set to the 1st half of the 1st century until he was brought back to Rome due to his harsh suppression of the Jewish protests? Different person?

This is not like King Arthur. That was an absolutely absurd analogy mate.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Not addressed to me, however there was an historical Pontius Pilate and then there is the Pontius Pilate of the NT, not to be confused with one another.

The depictions maybe different, but to say he never existed is just a rejection based on faith isn't it?

lukethethird

unknown member
The depictions maybe different, but to say he never existed is just a rejection based on faith isn't it?
There is no way of corroborating the events of the gospels so it isn't saying much to reject the character of Pontius Pilate as it is portrayed in the NT.