1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Jesus wasn't 'physically' circumcised...the Early Church teaching against physical circumcision

Discussion in 'Same Faith Debates' started by Desert Snake, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Desert Snake

Desert Snake Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +1,698
    Likewise I am entitled to conclude that they are not serious, and intellectually lazy.:thumbsup:

2. exchemist

exchemist Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +18,027
    Religion:
    RC (culturally at least)
    Sure, I don't care what your opinion of me is.

But you started this thread. Why? To make an unlikely claim and then not support it, leaving you looking foolish?

3. Desert Snake

Ratings:
    +1,698
    Likewise.

4. exchemist

exchemist Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +18,027
    Religion:
    RC (culturally at least)
    :p:D

5. Windwalker

Windwalker Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,138
    Religion:
    Love, Light, and Life
    This thread makes me a believer in why the church didn't want the common person to read the Bible.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Desert Snake

Ratings:
    +1,698
    You're being vague. That could mean anything, what is a "common person", sounds weird, and insulting.

Etc.

7. Desert Snake

Ratings:
    +1,698
    Speaking of which,
    the teaching of the non'physical circumcision of Jesus is a Church teaching.

Just not your specific church.

There are other churches...

8. Faithofchristian

Faithofchristian Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +582
    Religion:
    Christian
    What makes you think that Jesus wasn't physically circumcised.

Seeing how Jesus was born under the law, Which means, Jesus had to be circumcised according to the law.

The law of circumcision didn't come to an end until Jesus was nailed on the cross.

9. Faithofchristian

Faithofchristian Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +582
    Religion:
    Christian
    What makes you think that Jesus wasn't physically circumcised.

Seeing how Jesus was born under the law, Which means, Jesus had to be circumcised according to the law.

The law of circumcision didn't come to an end until Jesus was nailed on the cross.

10. Desert Snake

Ratings:
    +1,698
    I take certain writings & teachings, into serious consideration. In other words, I don't consider all teachings traditional teachings, to be the same, in probability, so forth. Now, I do this with religious writings, like the writings of Josephus, and so forth.

This teaching...now, for example, is a parallel, to the teaching, the fact, that a circumcision, isn't mentioned, generally, in all the Gospels? Perhaps there is a correlation, here, if an actual physical circumcision, did not take place, the author/s did not want to obfuscate this either, fact, or, as the teaching goes, ie a ceremonial non'physical circumcision, to confuse the reader, by writing "circumcision".

There are other reasons why I might consider this as fact, however, just generally, I do make that decision, of which teachings, I believe, or make sense to me, to believe.

11. Desert Snake

Ratings:
    +1,698
    Bear in mind that this is a religious, traditional teaching. Like many, religious traditional teachings.

Do you question every church or traditional teaching, with as much certainty? Just curious.

My religious understanding, uses logic, religious faith, non biblical writings, so forth.

#51 Desert Snake, Jan 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  12. Windwalker

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,138
    Religion:
    Love, Light, and Life
    I don't have a church. But I meant the RCC which was the seat of Christianity for most of its existence, feared what would happen by letting the common person, meaning the uneducated laity, just read utter nonsense from it, and think they have found the true meaning, and run off and start whatever Yahoo version of faith their addled minds could come up with.

13. Desert Snake

Ratings:
    +1,698
    What does that have to do with this thread topic? Why would the thread topic make you correlate that idea, to it?

You also still seem confused by the fact that there are other, churches, and other 'places', languages, church traditions. It's interesting that you view them as complete nonsense.

14. Vee

Vee Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,746
    Religion:
    Jehovah's Witness
    I'll never understand people's obsession with circumcision...

15. Windwalker

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,138
    Religion:
    Love, Light, and Life
    Because for someone to read that Jesus, a Jew, born to Jewish parents, would not have been circumcised, is an example of why just any person picking up the Bible without a proper foundation in religious knowledge, would read something so utterly nonsensical from it.

I didn't say complete nonsense, but there are examples that push the edge of being that, such as saying Jesus, a Jew, born to Jewish parents 2000 years ago, was not circumcised. You may as well say his parents ate pork, were from Spain, and openly worshipped Caesar as God. How is it possible his parents would not have had him circumcised?

Aside from the brutal reading of scripture I'm sure you have managed to paste together from the shredded tatters of scripture run through the gristmill of whatever odd group you've found to identify yourself with, the fact his parents were Jews, means they would have had him circumcised. No one would ever have considered him a Jewish Rabbi, had he not been. Common sense.

16. Desert Snake

Ratings:
    +1,698
    It's quite ironic that, while presenting your own bizarre, made up religion, presumably a 'heresy', by your own reckoning, you discount actual teachings of the Church.

Your argument necessitates an adherence to some teachings, which you may or may not believe, and, also immediately discounts other teachings, which, you feel you are not supposed to believe, even though, you are not representing the beliefs that you are theoretically supporting, in the first place.

In other words, your argument is nonsense.

#56 Desert Snake, Jan 30, 2019
  17. Desert Snake

Ratings:
    +1,698
    Hebrews 7:28
    Hebrews 7:14
    Hebrews 7:15

Hebrews 7:16
    Hebrews 7:19
    For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope did; by which we draw nigh unto God.
    [KJV]

Jesus was not in the manner of the law, you are either not reading your Bible, or, misinterpreting it.

#57 Desert Snake, Jan 30, 2019
  18. Twilight Hue

Twilight Hue Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Ratings:
    +21,496
    Religion:
    Philosophical Buddhism
    I suspect Jewish resources would not agree with that.

19. Windwalker

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,138
    Religion:
    Love, Light, and Life
    Which pretty much summarizes your post here. Disjointed nonsense.

20. Desert Snake

Ratings:
    +1,698
    Colossians 2:11

The circumcision here isn't physical, and note 'also' non'physical circumcision , as it relates to Jesus. The 'circumcision of Christ', is non'physical, and the non'physical circumcision is called the 'circumcision of Christ'.

Why, would one interpret this non'physical circumcision, as a different type of circumcision, separate from the Christ Himself.

You may want to remove yourself from the persona of Jesus, directly, thusly, by your interpretation, however the other Scripture refutes that sort 'interpretation', of text. That interpretation is certainly non'literal, as the circumcision of Christ is actually called non'physical.

#60 Desert Snake, Jan 30, 2019