• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus was married?

Rick James

I recently read somewhere that part of Jesus's life was not portrayed in the bible. 18 years not recorded in the bible. There are some theories that he was married during this time. What are your thoughts and how can you explain the part of Jesus's life that wasn't in the bible?

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
I recently read somewhere that part of Jesus's life was not portrayed in the bible. 18 years not recorded in the bible. There are some theories that he was married during this time. What are your thoughts and how can you explain the part of Jesus's life that wasn't in the bible?

Peace be on you.

His marriage is a possibility as he may have stayed for some time in Afghanistan. One of the tribes of Afghans is known as 'Isa Khel' [Isa=Jesus, Khel stands for a family or descendants]. It would not be surprising if they are descendants of Jesus.
More @ Al Islam - Jesus in India

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I can't say He wasn't married; but, I haven't read anything about Him outside of the Bible. What makes me think He wasn't is because He devoted His whole life to serving His Father. He was so busy with teaching His disciples about His Father and telling off the Jews and Pharisees that He felt did not practice His Father's teachings, I wouldn't think He had time for marriage. Even so, I don't see how a document that He was would fit nicely in the Bible.

Then again, I don't believe in Sola scriptura... so anything is possible, I guess. The only marriage I'd see is His marriage to His Father.

Not Bob

I don't know how true this is, but from what I've read, traditionally it was the groom who was resonsible for providing wine at a Jewish wedding. In John 2, it would stand to reason that if Jesus was responsible for the wine (certainly not a job you would give to a guest), he would have been the groom at that wedding.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What are your thoughts and how can you explain the part of Jesus's life that wasn't in the bible?
The strongest argument that Jesus wasn't married that isn't simply the straightforward argument from silence (i.e., nobody said he was in any of our extant texts) comes from Paul's 1st letter to the Corinthians. He asks rhetorically (1 Cor. 9:5) whether he and the other Christians had the right to "lead around" (περιάγειn/periagein) a wife, and defends the affirmative answer by noting that the brothers of Jesus and Peter do. Were Jesus married, all he'd have to do is say "don't we have the right to do what the Lord did?". Also, among the various preachers/prophets, Jewish movements, & Jewish sects of Jesus' day we find the closest to be those who were unmarried (like John the Baptist) or contained many unmarried men (like the Essenes).

As for why we don't information on most of what happened before Jesus' ministry, it's because nobody cared. He had no followers, he had no crowds, there was no oral tradition circulating, etc. I would be very surprised if the entire birth narrative wasn't made up solely or mostly to explain why Jesus of Nazareth was born where the messiah was supposed to be and yet called Jesus of Nazareth. In other words, we're missing any historical information about his birth and earliest years as well as the so-called "missing period".

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student

There was nothing in Jesus' mission that allowed him to marry in the flesh. He was going to have a bride, but not a single human wife. The "bride of Christ" is a composite "woman" who figuratively supports and complements his role as king of God's kingdom.

These will have a similar role to him but they will be under his loving headship. (Rev 20:6)

Can you imagine the complications of a perfect man fathering children with an imperfect wife? What a nightmare! :eek: