• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus was a Jew. When did his followers stop being Jews?

Tumah

Veteran Member
He fulfilled more than He left unfilled.
Not even one.

I need refernce to be able tgo answser this.
References?

It does not. In the Messianic age, there will be no offering for sin. There will be no more sin.
You don't seem to have made a counter-argument as much as a side note. One that I disagree with mind you, since it should be possible to bring sin-offerings for all this sins we've done until the Temple will v e rebuilt. But stil none of this relates to my point you were quoting.

roger1440

I do stuff
I am under the impression that its the Aramaic version of the Hebrew Av (Ab).
I looked up the term a few minutes ago. I can't read Greek, Hebrew or Aramaic. Using the word for "daddy" would have worked nicely within the story.

"Abbá – "Father," also used as the term of tender endearment by a beloved child – i.e. in an affectionate, dependent relationship with their father; "daddy," "papa.""
Strong's Greek: 5. Ἀββᾶ (Abba) -- Abba, father

Tumah

Veteran Member
I looked up the term a few minutes ago. I can't read Greek, Hebrew or Aramaic. Usiוng the word for "daddy" would have worked nicely within the story.

"Abbá – "Father," also used as the term of tender endearment by a beloved child – i.e. in an affectionate, dependent relationship with their father; "daddy," "papa.""
Strong's Greek: 5. Ἀββᾶ (Abba) -- Abba, father
Yeah I saw that in your link, but it doesn't say why they think so. The Hebrew word for father is the letters AB. In Aramaic the letter A is often tacked onto the back end of otherwise Hebrew words (or Hebrew words with common Aramaic replacement letters). So AB becomes ABA. That's how I understand it.

roger1440

I do stuff
Yeah I saw that in your link, but it doesn't say why they think so. The Hebrew word for father is the letters AB. In Aramaic the letter A is often tacked onto the back end of otherwise Hebrew words (or Hebrew words with common Aramaic replacement letters). So AB becomes ABA. That's how I understand it.
You might be right. It’s hard to say. Many times in both the Old and New Testament there is a play on words. Keep in mind that Strong's Concordance is not a commentary but an index.

“The purpose of Strong's Concordance is not to provide content or commentary about the Bible, but to provide an index to the Bible. This allows the reader to find words where they appear in the Bible. This index allows a student of the Bible to re-find a phrase or passage previously studied. It also lets the reader directly compare how the same word may be used elsewhere in the Bible. In this way Strong provides an independent check against translations, and offers an opportunity for greater, and more technically accurate understanding of text.”
Strong's Concordance - Wikipedia

pearl

The difference between “father” and “abba” is that “abba” is a term of endearment. It would be like calling someone “daddy”. The word is used to emphasize the closeness Jesus has with God.

Exactly. It was not the typical way Jews addressed God. That's why the use is understood to be unique with Jesus.

roger1440

I do stuff
Exactly. It was not the typical way Jews addressed God. That's why the use is understood to be unique with Jesus.
Unusual yes but not unique. There are other authors of the Bible that had used very unusual metaphors to emphasize a point. Ezekiel pulled no punches in his chapter 23. He was deliberately hitting below the belt. Using the metaphor as God as the husband of Israel and Israel as the wife of God he was able to create a very graphic metaphor.

“There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses.” (Ezekiel 23:20)

In modern times we have a similar saying when a guy is hung like a race horse.

rosends

I don't see what 'feelings' have to do with it. Jesus clearly addressed God as 'Abba'.
I say the same thing to my dad. So? People called Abba Sha'ul by that name. You are drawing a conclusion which is baseless. Interestingly, Judaism uses the word "Av" often when talking about God, but in conjunction with other words. Av harachamim, avinu shebashamayim. The Abishter.

Maybe Jesus was just making something up and it has no particular exemplary value.

rosends

And to God? Simply put Jesus reference to God as Aram 'abba' (my own dear father) reflects his own experience of God.
If he was simply using the Aramaic form of Av, then he was doing exactly what Jews already did. And even then, he was using a term for father that people use for a father. Big deal. I really don't see what you think is so special about it.

omega2xx

Not even one.

References?

You don't seem to have made a counter-argument as much as a side note. One that I disagree with mind you, since it should be possible to bring sin-offerings for all this sins we've done until the Temple will v e rebuilt. But stil none of this relates to my point you were quoting.

You need more than the temple to be rebuilt. You also need to have a priest who can trace his linage back to Aaron.

...nor are you to break any bone of it----coming to Jesus, when they saw He was dead, they did not break His legs---for these things came to pass to fulfill the Scripture, not a bone of Him shall be broken.

Evie

You need more than the temple to be rebuilt. You also need to have a priest who can trace his linage back to Aaron.

...nor are you to break any bone of it----coming to Jesus, when they saw He was dead, they did not break His legs---for these things came to pass to fulfill the Scripture, not a bone of Him shall be broken.
True. They didn't. But beaten, bruised, nails thru hands and feet, sword in His side, crown of thorns jammed on His head. Brutal.

omega2xx

True. They didn't. But beaten, bruised, nails thru hands and feet, sword in His side, crown of thorns jammed on His head. Brutal.

• Just as may were astonished at you, My people, So His appearance was marred more than any man and His form more than the sons of men---Isa 52:14.