• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus vs. Ancient Egyptian (Kemetic) religion

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I feel that Christianity has taken from the smorgasbord of many other religions and slowly developed their own belief system. There are so many similarities, that you would have to be thick headed no to see them, and it only needs one to be true to discredit their belief system.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I feel that Christianity has taken from the smorgasbord of many other religions and slowly developed their own belief system. There are so many similarities, that you would have to be thick headed no to see them, and it only needs one to be true to discredit their belief system.

Why would that "discredit" Xian belief system?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I am saying it will discredit those who take the bible literally, myself I don't take any religion literally, there is no need to, its all about where the words point to.

Xianity is teachings, imo, and some metaphor. I think Xian denominations are wildly different from each other in how they approach scripture.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Note, for example …
A number of parallels have been drawn between the Christian views of Jesus and other religious or mythical domains. However, Eddy and Boyd state that there is no evidence of a historical influence by the pagan myths such as dying and rising gods on the authors of the New Testament, and most scholars agree that any such historical influence is entirely implausible given that first century monotheistic Galilean Jews would not have been open to pagan stories. Paula Fredriksen states that no serious scholarly work places Jesus outside the backdrop of 1st century Palestinian Judaism.

Scholars have debated a number of broad issues related to the parallels drawn between Jesus and other myths, e.g. the very existence of the category dying-and-rising god was debated throughout the 20th century, most modern scholars questioning the soundness of the category. At the end of the 20th century the overall scholarly consensus had emerged against the soundness of the reasoning used to suggest the category. Tryggve Mettinger (who supports the category) states that there is a scholarly consensus that the category is inappropriate from a historical perspective. Scholars such as Kurt Rudolph have stated the reasoning used for the construction of the category has been defective.

Scholars such as Samuel Sandmel, professor of Bible and Hellenistic Literature at Hebrew Union College, view conclusions drawn from the simple observations of similarity as less than valid. Sandmel called the extravagance in hunting for similarities "parallelomania" – a phenomenon where scholars first notice a supposed similarity and then "proceeds to describe source and derivation as if implying a literary connection flowing in an inevitable or predetermined direction" thus exaggerating the importance of trifling resemblances.

[source]

arcanum

It's just unfortunate that there are so many agents of misinformation such as Acharya S. and other mythicists, the source from which Zeitgeist derives much of it's claims about Christianity from, and which reaches a much bigger audience than actual scholastic works. The average person isn't interested in perusing the topic that far, they would rather get it spoon fed to them by movies like religulous and Zeitgeist, which make huge and incredibly lazy generalizations.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
It's just unfortunate that there are so many agents of misinformation such as Acharya S. and other mythicists, the source from which Zeitgeist derives much of it's claims about Christianity from, and which reaches a much bigger audience than actual scholastic works. The average person isn't interested in perusing the topic that far, they would rather get it spoon fed to them by movies like religulous and Zeitgeist, which make huge and incredibly lazy generalizations.

I've never read any mythicist writings, just doesn't interest me.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
People often use this as an argument against Christianity, but I can't help but see it supporting it. The fact this mythical person is spoken about in two different cultures pretty much increases the chances of the person actually have had existence.

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
well if you've ever watched Zeitgeist or religulous than you've been exposed to them.

I have too much respect for history to watch Zeitgeist, I've read enough by historians to know how screwed up it is. (I'd say theologians too, but it implies just Christians and that isn't the case.)

And I dislike the "mock the lowest common denominator" style of criticizing religion, hence avoiding Religulous.