• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus the Pacifist

Scott1

Mr_Spinkles said:
Yes, I think you are right--that is the main message of the NT. But take it one step further...what would be the standard of Christ? Would Christ fight violently, even to save his own life?
Very good point my friend, but I think you are forgetting one thing: Jesus was the Christ.

You and I ......... aint!!! :p

To hold yourself to his HUMAN standard is one thing, but to try and hold yourself up his DIVINE standard as the SON OF GOD, is a TOTALLY different story.

That, in my opinion, would be insane!

Read about Christ's agony in the Garden and put yourself in his HUMAN shoes....... wow, powerful stuff. The depth of his love for us knows no bounds....

Peace,
Scott

SOGFPP said:
Very good point my friend, but I think you are forgetting one thing: Jesus was the Christ.

You and I ......... aint!!! :p

To hold yourself to his HUMAN standard is one thing, but to try and hold yourself up his DIVINE standard as the SON OF GOD, is a TOTALLY different story.
Of course we can't hold ourselves to the Divine standard...few of us have the power to heal the blind as Jesus did. However, being nonviolent IS within our power, just as it is within our power to treat others as we would want to be treated.

I am not saying it is easy to live up to this standard...but Jesus has clearly set this standard, and it is within our human power to live up to it. Of course, if we fall short (try as we might) Jesus assures us that we will be forgiven, just as if we fall short of treating others the way we want to be treated. But pacifism, like the Golden Rule, is still Jesus' teaching. Given what Jesus said in the NT, don't you think it is every Christian's obligation to at least attempt to never use violence?

I would say that according to Jesus, violence is NEVER justified. Of course, like all things, it can be forgiven. Where am I going wrong? :)

mahayana

Mr.S, I don't think you are going wrong at all. Jesus went so far as to tell people not to go to temple if they were angry with their brother, having violent thoughts and feelings.

But it remains that most Christians reject pacifism; only a few denominations (like the Quakers) take this stance. Most churchs support their warriors, honor them, mix patriotism with religion.

Does God want us to keep having wars? Does Jesus want more young men to become soldiers? Interesting questions.

Musician

to Sprinkles: I'll discuss this with you when I'm not half asleep--thanks for responding--God promises to give us wisdom and spiritual or practical insight if we seek His mind of on matters on our journey here below--most sincerely, Musician

Ceridwen018

The catholic church over the years has done a splendid job militarizing the christian faith what with their close ties to state, crusades, and their 'just war' theory (thank you, St. Augustine). Jesus most certainly did promote pacifism in every way. To argue otherwise is pure folly, as it is documented right there in the bible.

In this day and age, violence runs rampid. In order to keep the 'bad' people from taking total control, it is sometimes necessary for good people to do the 'bad' thing and use violence to stand up for themselves. Whether or not Jesus would particularly approve of this noble use of violence is certainly debatable, but I believe such a conflict is beside the point. Jesus was not preaching to those who are already truly peaceful at heart, but to those who employ violence without reason. If his target audience were to sit up and take note, the rest of us wouldn't have to worry about whether or not we should defend ourselves, because there would be nothing to defend against.

tumble_weed

I don't think we have to follow christ to be non-violent...I don't think there is any reason to have war...christian or not...and I definitly agree with ceridwin's point...

mahayana

Yet here we are. Followers of the Prince of Peace have invaded and are occupying two muslim nations, to defend the homeland (and all the world?) from attacks by extremist followers of a Prophet who taught that avoiding participation in holy war is a sin.

War is really about politics and geography. This one certainly has a religious aspect; not a Crusade, but close enough. While I agree with appeals to christian pacifism, I think the solution has to make sense to both sides.

mahayana, the U.S. is not a theocracy, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan were not holy wars, and the troops involved do not all follow Jesus. This is nothing like a Crusade, and I am not sure what this has to do with the original topic.

Runt

Well, WE didn't consider the wars against Iraq and Afghanistan to be holy wars. However, THEY certainly did.

Actually, in a way it does seem like a holy war... we certainly regard Democracy as the One Way, the Right Way, and the fact that we are "One nation under God" being led into war--by a President who believes God pretty much put him in power--to protect and further the interests of the One Right Way... well, lets just say that it is not surprising that some may have mistaken America's actions in Iraq and Afghanistan for part of a religious war.

If we think democracy is the One Way, most Arabs agree with us. At any rate, I don't see what this has to do with the original topic.

Runt

*Looks at title of thread. Blinks.*

You're right... I'm not sure what this has to do with the topic either... *shakes head* This is what happens when one randomly replies to comments without looking to see what the topic of the thread is.

*slaps forehead*

LOL It's ok Runt, I do that too sometimes. Perhaps it would be relevant to the topic to point specifically to all the Christians who support the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan...simply because they are wars, and Jesus was (in my opinion) against all war. That is quite hypocritical.

mahayana

That's close enough, Mr. S. The point is that people talk about Jesus' pacifism during wartime. If you are a pacifist, ending the present war is paramount.

Sorry if I steered things off-topic. Let's talk about Christian hawks, how they rationalize the killing. One of my favorites: "No greater love has a man, than that he should lay down his life for a friend."

War isn't about giving your life...it's about taking lives--that is the real goal. Christians forget that part of war it seems.

mahayana

The reason soldiers like that quote is because they are confronted by personal choice about making the "ultimate sacrifice", by virtue of being under fire. Americans view all their wars as defensive and liberating of others, heroism is charging the machinegun nest to save your buddies.

Jesus didn't see it quite that way, as was said earlier:

"I see where you are going, but it does not seem to be where Jesus was going. A big part of his teachings focused on the fact that this life is not important...it's the next life that counts, and we should always try to do what is right/loving even if it means suffering for us in this life.

Perhaps the focus on the afterlife appealed to people in Jesus' time more than they do to people today, because back then earthly life was difficult, dirty, and short."

The "enemy" today tends to be young men who are focused on the next life, and are devout. Their war is defensive of Islam (if you don't want to discuss that here I'll be quiet). Otherwise the universal rationalizations apply.

mahayana

I did not intend to stifle this discussion by putting it in present context. Jesus was a pacifist, regardless of what you may be feeling about the daily bodycounts.

A second, more general, defense of war by Christians has to do with interpretation of "Thou shall not kill" and "Love your neighbor as yourself."

From this view, kill=murder, so "justifiable" killing is exempted from the commandment. Judges impose capital punishment, police use lethal force, self-defense by individuals and the State is not wrong.

The ethical choice to intervene on the behalf of your neighbor, to kill their attacker if need be, is an extension of this. In fact, if you don't choose this option you will be judged a collaborator, one who allows evil to triumph.

ray

Mr_Spinkles said:
It seems pretty clear to me, based on various parts in the Gospels, that Jesus opposed all forms of violence--period--even in self defense. Indeed the early Christians opposed any act of violence so much that there was debate within the early Christian church as to whether or not Christians who had been soldiers could remain members of the church or be forgiven.

It was not until Emperor Constantine outlawed all non-Christian religions that dogma was changed to make warfare acceptable.

So, why do so many Christians today still find war acceptable? Isn't this contrary to Jesus' teachings? I think it is.
Hey Mr Sprinkles,
i kind of agree with you. I mean, seriouly how could anyone justify the disgusting things that are done in the name of religion, the crusades, and so many of the brutal wars in history, which are so often done in religions,(and in particular, so many times christianitys) names.

i mean how could anyone possibly interpret jesus words to love your neighbour, and his insistence that true christins would expect to be persecuted for their beleifs, as somehow allowing participation in bloody conflicts?

i mean dident he also say that (I'm paraphrasing) that his kingdom was no part of this world, that those who fought by the sword would perish by the sword, etc.

what do you think?
ray

Musician

Pacifism has long been a thorny problem for conscientious people and war itself is a degrading and horrible event. But Christ did say, There will be wars and rumors of wars; however, His mission, as I said before, was to lead the Jewish people (His people) into a new ere, away from the eye for an eye teaching of the Mosaic Lawmost of which was passing away, except for the Moral Law. The Old Testament has meaningful lessons and prophecies and was mainly about and for the Jews. The New Testament had a higher message to attain to.

Now at the time of Christ, the spiritual antagonism against the children of light, which Jesus thoroughly understood, seeing what He could spiritually see and what he experienced in opposition to his holiness and mission of redemption--this antagonism would heat up, and to go to war against the Romans, for example, would have caused the obliteration of the Jews and not allowed for the message of Peace and Forgiveness to be spread. Many of the Jews believed that their Messiahw ould come to overcome all their early enemies, and if Jesus was the Messiah, then they expected Him to overcome Roman power. However, that was not the message and purpose of Christ's first coming--so He had to teach them another lesson, and clari9fication of the purpose and the times gets pretty thorny, as it appears that Christ was a total Pacifist for all time.

Times change--people belong to a nation, or a large clan, and they have the right to protect themselves and their families against mauraders; they have the right, in some countries, to serve as conscientious objectors. My grandparents fled Europe when the Russian revolution was being experimented with in the early 1900s--my 6'5" strong grand-father, Paul, did not want to get involved in the wars and sought passage to America for his young bride, my grandmother, and their three very young children.

In a way, he was against war, but he certainly did not speak up against the younger men in the family going to war against Hitler and Hirohito, for he knew what evil and rapcious power could do. One must measure the place one stands in such circumstances--

If there were no evil intentions, no power-mongers, no Sadam Husseins in the world, and all of us were spirituall children of light, we could well live in peace. But Jesus said, that there comes a time when everyone will be cryng Peace! Peace! but there will be no peace, nonetheless, Pray for the peace of Jerusalem.

The Hopi Indians are a very peaceful tribe, but they are nearly wiped out now because their detractors take advantage of their peaceful, non-fighting spirit.

The Apostle Paul used the symbols of war and fighting the enemy in the spiritual battle. One cannot find these metaphors or similes of any sense or logic if what they stand for is not acceptable--"Fight the good fight of faith!"

A man has the right (as does any adult) to protect the family, the weaker ones, like the children and grandparents, to save one's village or country--each person must come to terms with such potential circumstances and be brave.

What more can I say? Christ seemed to be a pacifist, but, in truth, He fought the greatest fight of pf all. tje fight of facing off against evil (remember the time described in the New Testament when He was in the wilderness for 40 days and nights and met with Satan, who tried to tempt Him into bowing down to himself, etc? So the fight of victory over evil, the fight of redemption, of overcoming death, was a gigantic fight, for Christ allowed Himself to be beaten to nearly a pulp and sufferied dire physical and spiritual agony, going to the depths of darkness and not giving up, to fulfil His reason for His first coming as Man/God: to overcome evil--and is that not what some of human wars are for the most part about (looking at it from the modern US perspective, which has been constructed upon the teachings of the New testament?)

In this perspective, we want to defend life and liberty and safety and peace; other religions, such as the those who would nowadays destroy Western and other civilizations, are not for life and peace, but for death and destruction. It is a worldview that is incredibly dangerous, and if we do not stand up to these mauraders, we will end up in much greater dire straits than sitting at the computer trying to figure out whether one should or should not defend one's place on earth or not.

The history lessons that so many have leaned upon, about the Crusades, about the Inquisition, etc. may not be about true religion, or true spiritual faith, but we did not live in those times and we don't fully understand many parts of history. Would we have done any differently had we been there in that historic mindset?

Thank you for this opportunity to discuss important issues; I hope I didn't serve to confuse you.

Hope to hear from you again, Sincerely, Musician