1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus: The Missing Years in the East

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by godnotgod, Oct 7, 2013.

1. angellous_evangellous

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, that's about it. How do you disprove something absurd?

2. angellous_evangellous

Ratings:
    +0
    Ancient manuscripts aren't even compared this way, especially when we're talking about a major project like the New Testament that has thousands of fragments scattered over a wide geographical area and over hundreds of years.

I'm perfectly happy with you pretending there's "accuracy" when it's impossible, but I'm a little frustrated that someone can lie to you so effortlessly about something so basic. I don't like seeing people being deceived.

I admit I am entertained by the delicious silliness of it.

#902 angellous_evangellous, Nov 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2013
  3. godnotgod

godnotgod Thou art That

Ratings:
    +1,231
    Religion:
    Ludditism
    Sometimes people are so hypnotized by their own beliefs that anything (everything) else appears silly or ridiculous, even evil, as dictated by their belief system.

Currently, the Church is on a paranoid campaign to talk down as evil all other views, such as Wicca, Zen, Yoga, Buddhism, Hinduism, New Age, etc, etc, as it is so threatened by these other views.

4. angellous_evangellous

Ratings:
    +0
    The difference is that we aren't talking about something fabricated by the church. All of this stuff is a part of an established history that is completely exclusive of your arguments. Not just a little exclusive - what you're saying about the Essenes and the "Aramaic NT" would never be entertained as a possibility because it has no relationship at all to reality, except that the words are real words. No skeptical historian [something you might pretend to value on a good day] would treat this topic with the contempt that it deserves.

That is to say, the words "Aramaic," "Nazarene" (and similar), Jesus, Mt. Carmel all exist. That's it. That's the only thing that your source has going for it. They aren't making up those words. They are making up 99.9% of everything else, and if they happen to be right on some peripheral detail, it's because they got lucky.

#904 angellous_evangellous, Nov 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2013
  5. angellous_evangellous

Ratings:
    +0
    This is just prejudiced dribble. The Church isn't threatened by anything but itself, and for the last 50 years, the Church has been more open and tolerant of other religions than at any point in history.

6. godnotgod

godnotgod Thou art That

Ratings:
    +1,231
    Religion:
    Ludditism
    Is that why Christian missionaries in India target Hindu cremation ceremonies, shouting obscenities in the faces of the grieving families as they are leaving their services?

Is that why one priest openly denounces evolution from the pulpit on Sunday TV?

7. godnotgod

godnotgod Thou art That

Ratings:
    +1,231
    Religion:
    Ludditism
    Is that the same contempt the Church had for Gnostic teachings, which it just about destroyed? Or for the Apocrypha, which it banned from its council? Further back, it was Rome and Paul that targeted the Nazarenes, and what it did to them I've already gone over.

8. LegionOnomaMoi

LegionOnomaMoi Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,083
    You know who had contempt for gnostic teachings? Gnostics. That category is a modern invention includes a wide range of different and even conflicting beliefs (and, actually, there isn't complete agreement on whether certain teachings should be considered gnostic, as there is no real criteria that can reliably identify gnostics).

9. angellous_evangellous

Ratings:
    +0
    That's what I had in mind - sort of. The Apocrypha was never banned. It's actually in Catholic Bibles.

Further back, there is no evidence that Paul targeted Nazarenes / Essenes or mini freezer pies.

10. godnotgod

godnotgod Thou art That

Ratings:
    +1,231
    Religion:
    Ludditism
    Right. And there was no such thing as the Inquisition or the Holocaust, nor were the Dead Sea Scrolls hidden from Roman destruction.
    "....unlike the Inquisition or the Holocaust, there is no historical blah blah blah....."

re: Apocrypha: http://bannedfromthebible.org/

[​IMG]

#910 godnotgod, Nov 28, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  11. angellous_evangellous

Ratings:
    +0
    Your inability to choose a reliable source is impressive. I don't think that I've ever seen you choose a good source by accident.

12. outhouse

outhouse Atheistically

Ratings:
    +1,883
    Look at the books in some African catholic communities, there up over what 60 something books included?

They love that Apocrypha

13. tomasz.t

tomasz.t New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think it is nonsense. Christ rejected reincarnation

14. angellous_evangellous

Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure about that. But the Apocrypha was never banned in the West or the East for that matter. In fact, when Luther and the Reformers did not print the Apocrypha in their Bibles, it became a mark of pride for the Catholics.

How I wish gullibility worked both ways.:eek: