• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus the Hippie?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
And why are you anxious about clothing?
Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow;
they neither toil nor spin;

--Matthew 6:28

"Martha,Martha, you are anxious
and
troubled about many things;
one thing is needful...
--Luke 10:41

Your gold and silver have rusted,
and their rust will be evidence against you
and will eat your flesh like fire.
You have laid up treasure for the last days.

--James 5:3

so that the genuineness of your faith,
more precious than gold
which though perishable is tested by fire,
may redound to praise and glory and honor
at the revelation of Jesus Christ.

--I Peter 1:7

Take no gold, nor silver, nor copper in your belts,
no bag for your journey,
nor two tunics,
nor sandals,
nor a staff;
for the laborer deserves his food.

--Matthew 10:9,10

You blind fools! For which is greater, the gold or
the temple that has made the gold sacred?

--Matthew 23:17

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Isn't one who lives by Hippie values a de facto Hippie?

Luke 5:
[20] And he lifted up his eyes on his disciples, and said, Blessed be ye poor: for yours is the kingdom of God.
[21] Blessed are ye that hunger now: for ye shall be filled. Blessed are ye that weep now: for ye shall laugh.
[22] Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you from their company, and shall reproach you, and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of man's sake.
[23] Rejoice ye in that day, and leap for joy: for, behold, your reward is great in heaven: for in the like manner did their fathers unto the prophets.
[24] But woe unto you that are rich! for ye have received your consolation.
[25] Woe unto you that are full! for ye shall hunger. Woe unto you that laugh now! for ye shall mourn and weep.
[26] Woe unto you, when all men shall speak well of you! for so did their fathers to the false prophets.
[27] But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you,
[28] Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you.
[29] And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloke forbid not to take thy coat also.
[30] Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again.
[31] And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise.
[32] For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them.
[33] And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? for sinners also do even the same.
[34] And if ye lend to them of whom ye hope to receive, what thank have ye? for sinners also lend to sinners, to receive as much again.
[35] But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.
[36] Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful.
[37] Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:
[38] Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.
[39] And he spake a parable unto them, Can the blind lead the blind? shall they not both fall into the ditch?
[40] The disciple is not above his master: but every one that is perfect shall be as his master.
[41] And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but perceivest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
[42] Either how canst thou say to thy brother, Brother, let me pull out the mote that is in thine eye, when thou thyself beholdest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, cast out first the beam out of thine own eye, and then shalt thou see clearly to pull out the mote that is in thy brother's eye.

These are Hippie values.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
Outhouse said:
There were no hippies back then.

What are you even trying to debate?
Some debates are exploratory. Here I have Jesus in scripture plainly saying things very similar to the paladins of the peace movement. Live in poverty. Everybody share. Love is all you need.

Seyorni said:
Isn't one who lives by Hippie values a de facto Hippie?
That seems to me to make sense. Jesus spends his ministry living on the street relying upon gifts, protesting the government. It sounds like what I've heard about the hippie movement.

dantech said:
I am so lost right now...
:sarcastic
You get a frubal for contributing. I'm sorry my opening post was not clear and meant no harm to Jesus or to hippies.

Are you sure you ever met any Hippies?
That would make for a very short debate. Please withdraw the question.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Are there not others, before the hippies, who had similar ideas? Did not the hippies actually borrow their ideology (and I may say falsely in many regards) from others?

I agree Jesus was a non-violent individual. But not really a hippy. Personally, I think Jesus would have to the hippies to get a hair cut and get a real job :)

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
fallingblood said:
Are there not others, before the hippies, who had similar ideas? Did not the hippies actually borrow their ideology (and I may say falsely in many regards) from others?
I've never seen a definitive analysis of how the hippies came to be a movement. It may have been the music and drugs that started it. Some people say it started with a bunch of rich kids with too much time on their hands. It was certainly a reaction to WWII and the threat of nuclear fallout.
I agree Jesus was a non-violent individual. But not really a hippy. Personally, I think Jesus would have to the hippies to get a hair cut and get a real job :)
It would depend upon the situation. Theoretically if people weren't so uptight we could all live together without anyone starving. We could start a society that wasn't based on money. Who is to say that isn't where Jesus is taking us? He never speaks in the positive about having money.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I've never seen a definitive analysis of how the hippies came to be a movement. It may have been the music and drugs that started it. Some people say it started with a bunch of rich kids with too much time on their hands. It was certainly a reaction to WWII and the threat of nuclear fallout.
It would depend upon the situation. Theoretically if people weren't so uptight we could all live together without anyone starving. We could start a society that wasn't based on money. Who is to say that isn't where Jesus is taking us? He never speaks in the positive about having money.

Having living through the period I can tell you that 99.999 per cent of the "Hippies" were more concerned with getting high, getting laid, and getting tickets to any Hendrix concert then solving the problems of the modern world. All the "peace and love" ideology associated with "the movement" was mostly media hype.

BSM1

What? Me worry?

Having lived through the period I can tell you that 99.999 per cent of the "Hippies" were more concerned with getting high, getting laid, and getting tickets to any Hendrix concert then solving the problems of the modern world. All the "peace and love" ideology associated with "the movement" was mostly media hype.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I would think that people outside of "hippies" had similar beliefs. Not that being called a "hippie" is really such a insult. But weren't most hippies agnostics? The ones I knew were. Just a thought. :)

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
I would think that people outside of "hippies" had similar beliefs. Not that being called a "hippie" is really such a insult. But weren't most hippies agnostics? The ones I knew were. Just a thought. :)
Hippies come in all faiths and lack their off

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
how about we reword the op..... seems people are being dense....

If jesus came back today you would call him a dang dirty hippie

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Most of the hippies that I knew (in the 60's) were from comfortable middle class homes; so they could trot off and play at 'let's go back to basics', and then when they got cold, or hungry, or fed up, or bored, they could go home.

In fact, come to think of it, Jesus was a real hippy, the perfect hippie; but he was also utterly devoted to the people's covenant, the people's security, the peoples safety, the people's welfare, the people's health and the people's Kingdom. And against the wealthy Upper-class Jewish false covenant, and hypocritical ways.

OK........ Jesus was a better hippie than any hippie ever was, or ever has been since.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Having lived through the period I can tell you that 99.999 per cent of the "Hippies" were more concerned with getting high, getting laid, and getting tickets to any Hendrix concert

Yes. Those people really had their priorities in order. :yes:

then solving the problems of the modern world.

Well now you're contradicting yourself.

All the "peace and love" ideology associated with "the movement" was mostly media hype.

To get serious for a moment: I was a little too young to experience the first wave first hand, but I've heard other people who were there say the same thing, and it doesn't surprise me. I've met quite a few of the subsequent generations of "hippies" and I can tell you that there doesn't seem to have been much improvement on that front.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Most of the hippies that I knew (in the 60's) were from comfortable middle class homes; so they could trot off and play at 'let's go back to basics', and then when they got cold, or hungry, or fed up, or bored, they could go home.

That doesn't seem to have changed either. :D

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. For Lo! Is Western Union not just around the corner?"

In fact, come to think of it, Jesus was a real hippy, the perfect hippie; but he was also utterly devoted to the people's covenant, the people's security, the peoples safety, the people's welfare, the people's health and the people's Kingdom. And against the wealthy Upper-class Jewish false covenant, and hypocritical ways.

OK........ Jesus was a better hippie than any hippie ever was, or ever has been since.

Little known fact: the Shroud of Turin was originally tye-dye.