• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus - Son of Adam?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Your theory presumes either, the name of Jesus, as written in the Bible, is a version, of the real name, quite different, actually, or, the greek writers couldn't manage to indicate 'joshuah', which only requires an 'a', or an 'o', somewhere. Your theory , or rather the theory, isn't very good at all.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The reason why no bible has Jesus's name as 'Yehoshua', is because it it isn't Jesus's name.
It isn't terribly wrong and appears to be more correct than "Jesus". That is the Greek spelling of the Hebrew name "Yeshua"(and please note this is an English transliteration of the Hebrew characters). The direct to English version of his name is one you have heard before, it is Joshua. The more translations that one puts a name through the further it will be from the original.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Your theory presumes either, the name of Jesus, as written in the Bible, is a version, of the real name, quite different, actually, or, the greek writefs couldn't manage to indicare 'joshuah', which only requires an 'a', or an 'o', somewhere. Your theory , or rather the theory, isn't very good at all.
It is what Bible scholars claim. Do you need links?

Can you support another name?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
It is what Bible scholars claim. Do you need links?

Can you support another name?
I know the theory. It isn't direct. The 'o' in Iesous , Iesou, isn't an 'oh', it's 'oo', [boot

There is no direct evidence the name is Joshuah, except it was presumably used interchangeably at some point

Iesoua
Iosoua

Those both are better for joshua

Last edited:

nPeace

Veteran Member
The reason why no bible has Jesus's name as 'Yehoshua', is because it it isn't Jesus's name.
Sorry, but I am lost as to what your argument is. You seem to be trying to support a belief you have.

Jesus (Latin) may have been pronounced Yeshua or possibly Yehoshua.
Yehoshua (Joshua) is Hebrew. It means Jehovah (YHVH / יְהוָֹה) is salvation (yasha / יָשַׁע).
Jehovah is salvation is not YHVH (יְהוָֹה), but Yehoshua (יְהוֹשׁוּעַ).
Scripture does not show Jesus is Jehovah. Rather, it shows Jesus is Jehovah's means of salvation.

I don't know how else I can put this, for you to understand it.

nPeace

Veteran Member
I know the theory. It isn't direct. The 'o' in Iesous , Iesou, isn't an 'oh', it's 'oo', [boot

There is no direct evidence the name is Joshuah, except it was presumably used interchangeably at some point

Iesoua
Iosoua

Is this not what I posted here?

Greek - Ἰησοῦς, οῦ, ὁ
Transliteration - Iésous
Definition - Jesus or Joshua
Usage: Jesus; the Greek form of Joshua

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Sorry, but I am lost as to what your argument is. You seem to be trying to support a belief you have.

Jesus (Latin) may have been pronounced Yeshua or possibly Yehoshua.
Yehoshua (Joshua) is Hebrew. It means Jehovah (YHVH / יְהוָֹה) is salvation (yasha / יָשַׁע).
Jehovah is salvation is not YHVH (יְהוָֹה), but Yehoshua (יְהוֹשׁוּעַ).
Scripture does not show Jesus is Jehovah. Rather, it shows Jesus is Jehovah's means of salvation.

I don't know how else I can put this, for you to understand it.
I didn't say that Jesus's name was YHWH, or Yehoshua, which would be the Matthew 1:21
Subject.

Jesus's name, is

Iesous
Iesou
Jesus
Isho
Yesu
Jesu

And some other variants. Those are all variants of the 'same name'.

Yehoshuah, isn't.

Last edited:

nPeace

Veteran Member
I didn't say thst Jesus's name was YHWH, or Yehoshua, which would be the Matthew 1:21
Subject.

Jesus's name, is

Iesous
Iesou
Jesus
Isho
Yesu
Jezus

And some other variants. Those are all variants of the 'same name'.

Yehoshuah, isn't.
Yehoshua is Hebrew.
Did you not understand what I wrote here?
Jesus [Lat. form of the Gr. I·e·sousʹ, which corresponds to the Heb. Ye·shuʹaʽ or Yehoh·shuʹaʽ and means “Jehovah Is Salvation”].

The Greeks Those under Greek dominion, wrote Greek, not Hebrew.
Seems you did not understand.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

Iesoua
Iosoua

Names can change over time. Your argument appears to be with scholars that understand the languages involved. What ancient languages can you speak fluently? I will go with those that appear to be able to do this.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Yehoshua is Hebrew.
Did you not understand what I wrote here?
Jesus [Lat. form of the Gr. I·e·sousʹ, which corresponds to the Heb. Ye·shuʹaʽ or Yehoh·shuʹaʽ and means “Jehovah Is Salvation”].

The Greeks Those under Greek dominion, wrote Greek, not Hebrew.
Seems you did not understand.
To make matters worse our "Jesus" was translated from either Hebrew or Aramaic to Greek and then to Latin and then to English. That it has very little resemblance to the original is not all that surprising.

nPeace

Veteran Member
To make matters worse our "Jesus" was translated from either Hebrew or Aramaic to Greek and then to Latin and then to English. That it has very little resemblance to the original is not all that surprising.
Why do you say it was translated. Jesus was a Jew. His Jewish, or Hebrew name would have been understood by Greeks in their language. So writing a Hebrew name in Greek would not have been a problem.
Jews who spoke Greek would understand.
When the Greek scriptures were penned, Greek was the language used.
Later, it just would need to be translated from Greek into Latin - which would not be that difficult.

Just as I can easily write this Rohe Tango, if I spoke Maori All who knows Maori, would know it means Subduction Zone.

nPeace

Veteran Member
The major difference in Latin and English would have simply been making the I a J, or some other slight change.