• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus Said "It Is Finished"

Muffled

Jesus in me
Perhaps I wasn't clear.

No, I have not been baptized with water. Yes, I have been baptized with holy spirit in Jesus Christ's name.

I believe you don't have tobe baptized in water but I encourage it. Even Jesus did that and He didn't have to either.

Nova2216

(1Peter 1:22,23) - 22 Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently: 23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

Being born again involves man doing something.

Baptism saves (1Peter 3:20,21)

Belief + baptism = Saved (Mark 16:15,16)

Newness of life comes at the point of burial in water and being raised up out of that water (Rom.6:3-6) (Acts 8:38,39).

they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him. 39 And when they were come up out of the water

Nova2216

I believe you don't have tobe baptized in water but I encourage it. Even Jesus did that and He didn't have to either.

30 But the Pharisees and lawyers rejected the counsel of God against themselves, being not baptized of him

They did not think they needed to be baptized by John and they were wrong according to this verse.

They rejected the counsel of God by rejecting water baptism.

Baptism is a command of God
according to (Acts 10:48).

48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord.

Last edited:

rrobs

There is no BIBLE answer for the following questions.

Isn't that what you meant to say?

Are all men commanded to be Holy Spirit baptized?

How do I obey such a command?

How do I know I have obeyed being Holy Spirit baptized?

Thanks
No, I did not mean to say the answers are not in the Bible. They absolutely are in the Bible, but you apparently don't like the Bible. Check the Koran. Maybe you'll find the answers there.

rrobs

30 But the Pharisees and lawyers rejected the counsel of God against themselves, being not baptized of him

They did not think they needed to be baptized by John and they were wrong according to this verse.

They rejected the counsel of God by rejecting water baptism.

Baptism is a command of God
according to (Acts 10:48).

48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord.
John 1:33,

And I knew him not: but he (God) that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he (Jesus) which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost.

Matt 3:11,

I (John) indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he (Jesus) shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and [with] fire:

Acts 1:5,

For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.​

Any thoughts on what John and Jesus were saying in these verses? How do they not say baptism in holy spirit is far superior and replaces baptism in water? Before answering, you may want to also read read Hebrews chapter 9, keeping in mind the the words "divers washings" in verse 10 is the Greek word "baptismos."

Nova2216

No, I did not mean to say the answers are not in the Bible. They absolutely are in the Bible, but you apparently don't like the Bible. Check the Koran. Maybe you'll find the answers there.

I may be abit slow in the mind but I can give an answer as to WHEN and HOW my sins were forgiven by the blood of Jesus and it will not take me very long.

15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear: (1Peter3:15).

Here is one of your favorite scriptures. (1Peter 1:22,23)

Well, verse 23 is, I'm not sure about verse 22.

Verse 22 mentions obeying truth to be born again.

1 Peter 1:22-23 (KJV) 22 Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently: 23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
(1Peter 1:22,23)

Nova2216

John 1:33,

And I knew him not: but he (God) that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he (Jesus) which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost.

I (John) indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he (Jesus) shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and [with] fire:

Acts 1:5,

For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.​

Any thoughts on what John and Jesus were saying in these verses? How do they not say baptism in holy spirit is far superior and replaces baptism in water? Before answering, you may want to also read read Hebrews chapter 9, keeping in mind the the words "divers washings" in verse 10 is the Greek word "baptismos."

* (Jn 1:33) is dealing with Jesus and John the baptizer (not you or I).

It's interesting you went to Johns baptism.

Johns baptism was in WATER (Jn 3:3-5)

5. ... Except a man be born of WATER and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Johns baptism was a BURIAL in WATER.

Johns baptism was FOR THE REMISSION OF SINS.

4 John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance FOR THE REMISSION OF SINS. (Mark 1:4)

I know Johns baptism was in WATER b/c of what we read in (Jn 3:23).

23 And John also was BAPTIZING in Aenon near to Salim, because there was much WATER there: and they came, and were BAPTIZED.

I do not think (John 1:33) helps you AT ALL.

When it comes to (Mt.3), it's also is about John and Jesus (not you or I).

Jesus baptism was also in WATER.

Jesus baptism was a BURIAL.

Jesus was baptized to fulfill all righteousness.

I do not think (Mt 3) helps you AT ALL.

When it comes to (Luke 24:47-49) (Acts 1:5,8) this is a discussion between the apostles and Jesus (not you or I).

They had to go to Jerusalem and wait for the Holy Spirit to come upon them on the first Pentecost after the Ress. of Christ.

ROB, did you go to Jerusalem and wait for the Holy Spirit to come upon you in the first century? (with the apostles)

If not, you must not have thought (Acts 1:5,8) was speaking to you either.

If I were you I would not use those verses, but thats just me.

Thanks

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
I agree. It sets a good pattern. We ought to understand about Jesus before getting baptized.
I would think so. Also I was thinking that the word from the Greek should be considered. And of course, there were other forms of baptisms which I haven't addressed. But it seems reasonable to conclude that water baptism is the way to go after Jesus set the pace.

rrobs

I may be abit slow in the mind but I can give an answer as to WHEN and HOW my sins were forgiven by the blood of Jesus and it will not take me very long.

15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear: (1Peter3:15).

Here is one of your favorite scriptures. (1Peter 1:22,23)

Well, verse 23 is, I'm not sure about verse 22.

Verse 22 mentions obeying truth to be born again.

1 Peter 1:22-23 (KJV) 22 Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently: 23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
(1Peter 1:22,23)
So you do like the Bible! Good! Glad I was wrong (I really knew I was all along). :)

I'll answer more later.

God bless

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
I would think so. Also I was thinking that the word from the Greek should be considered. And of course, there were other forms of baptisms which I haven't addressed. But it seems reasonable to conclude that water baptism is the way to go after Jesus set the pace.
I would agree. And by all means, look up the greek. Being that baptism in Jesus name is established to be in water Acts 10:47-48, then baptism in water in Jesus's name is mentioned more times in the New Testament than the term baptism with the Holy Spirit. Matthew 28:19 (when Jesus initiated it), Acts 2:38-39, 8:36-49, 10:47-48, 19:1-5, 22:16, etc.

Last edited:

rrobs

Water baptism was only for Jesus, not you, I, or anybody else?

I think there were plenty of people who were baptized by John in water, just like there are plenty of people who have been baptized in holy spirit.

rrobs

They had to go to Jerusalem and wait for the Holy Spirit to come upon them on the first Pentecost after the Ress. of Christ.

ROB, did you go to Jerusalem and wait for the Holy Spirit to come upon you in the first century? (with the apostles)

If not, you must not have thought (Acts 1:5,8) was speaking to you either.
Well, you are right about Acts 1:5, 8. Jesus clearly was speaking to the Apostles. Good point. But you and I do come into play in the next chapter.

Acts 2:38-39,

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, [even] as many as the Lord our God shall call.
Do you believe you have the gift of holy spirit as verse 38 declares? If so, do you believe in the 9 manifestations of that holy spirit as outlined in 1 Corinthians 12:7-10?

rrobs

It's interesting you went to Johns baptism.

Johns baptism was in WATER (Jn 3:3-5)

5. ... Except a man be born of WATER and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Johns baptism was a BURIAL in WATER.

Johns baptism was FOR THE REMISSION OF SINS.

4 John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance FOR THE REMISSION OF SINS. (Mark 1:4)

I know Johns baptism was in WATER b/c of what we read in (Jn 3:23).

23 And John also was BAPTIZING in Aenon near to Salim, because there was much WATER there: and they came, and were BAPTIZED.

I do not think (John 1:33) helps you AT ALL.
You are partly right. The first part of John 1:33 does not help my case. But I never appealed to that as meaning we must be baptized in water. That is what you are saying, not me.

What significance to you attach to the word "but" in John 1:33? I think it means that what comes next is set in contrast and supercedes with what went before. In other words, baptism in water by John is set in rather stark contrast to baptism in holy spirit by Jesus. What do you think is the significance of the second half of the verse?

By the way, if we are going to stick with the logic that Acts 1:5 only applies to the Apostles, then wouldn't we have to say John 3:5 only applies to Nicodemus?

YoursTrue

Water baptism was only for Jesus, not you, I, or anybody else?

I think there were plenty of people who were baptized by John in water, just like there are plenty of people who have been baptized in holy spirit.
I'm going to start with a basic. John died before Jesus. Jesus was baptized by John. John realized or thought he should not be baptizing Jesus. Why? I think I know the answer but I'm not sure.

rrobs

I'm going to start with a basic. John died before Jesus. Jesus was baptized by John. John realized or thought he should not be baptizing Jesus. Why? I think I know the answer but I'm not sure.
You are a good workman of God's word in that you readily admit, "I'm not sure." Lot's of things I'm not sure of either. Not to disparage anyone, but I think many Christians have a hard time admitting they are not sure or they don't know something.

I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and [with] fire:​

Luke 3:16,

John answered, saying unto [them] all, I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire:​

The word "worthy" in both verses is the Greek word "hikanos" which means being "competent" of "fit" to do something. According to these two verses then, John did not feel competent or fit to baptize Jesus. That much we can know for sure. Unless there are other verses somewhere that elaborate on why he didn't feel competent to baptize Jesus, we should just leave it at that and not speculate or guess.

Perhaps there are other verses that elaborate on John's thinking, but I'm not aware of them. Do you know of any?

God bless.

YoursTrue

You are a good workman of God's word in that you readily admit, "I'm not sure." Lot's of things I'm not sure of either. Not to disparage anyone, but I think many Christians have a hard time admitting they are not sure or they don't know something.

I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and [with] fire:​

Luke 3:16,

John answered, saying unto [them] all, I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire:​

The word "worthy" in both verses is the Greek word "hikanos" which means being "competent" of "fit" to do something. According to these two verses then, John did not feel competent or fit to baptize Jesus. That much we can know for sure. Unless there are other verses somewhere that elaborate on why he didn't feel competent to baptize Jesus, we should just leave it at that and not speculate or guess.

Perhaps there are other verses that elaborate on John's thinking, but I'm not aware of them. Do you know of any?

God bless.
Ok. Let's go over a few points that are related. Ok, maybe only one. Jesus was sinless. In other words, without sin. John was born with the stain of sin, regardless how great in God's eyes he was, he still inherited sin. Do we agree so far?

rrobs

Ok. Let's go over a few points that are related. Ok, maybe only one. Jesus was sinless. In other words, without sin. John was born with the stain of sin, regardless how great in God's eyes he was, he still inherited sin. Do we agree so far?
So far, so good.

lostwanderingsoul

I would like to ask a question. Why do we have to inherit sin? Everyone sins on his own. We are not responsible for anyone else's sin but our own. I do not get the "inherit" part.