• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus Said "It Is Finished"

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
That will be left up to God. All we can do is teach what the Bible says. Along the same line, no one can (accurately) offer assurances to anyone, saying "you're saved" outside of God's word (not baptized). Nor can anyone (accurately) take assurance that they're saved outside of God's word (not baptized).
Only God can make the ultimate decision, I agree.

Nova2216

That is a parable. What is the actual will of God if not believing and confessing to be saved as per Romans?

Romans is the guidebook for Christian life, not the gospels. It lays out in the most simple terms the depraved life man and how to fix the problem of sin and death.

Doing the will of the father in our age of grace is stated in plain language in Romans 10:9-10. If you want to be saved, believe and confess. Anything beyond that may feel good, but it adds not one wit to that which one gets when the believe in confess.

Why begin reading in the middle of the Romans letter?

(Romans 6:3-6) come long before (Romans 10).

baptized into Jesus Christ

The Romans were already "In Christ" according to (Rom.6:3-6).

Doesn't chapter 6 come before chapter 10?

Nova2216

What happens, in your opinion, to those that were not baptized and died before Jesus?

Those under the OT Law will be saved by the grace of God.

Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord. (Gen.6:8)

Thus did Noah according to all the Lord commanded. (Gen.6:22)

YoursTrue

Evidently you do not understand (1Peter 3:20,21) or (Mark 16:15,16).

One must be lost to be saved.

These verses teach one how to be saved.

Before one obeys them he must be lost.

True or False

Thanks
Speaking of which, Jesus got baptized, didn't he?

YoursTrue

Those under the OT Law will be saved by the grace of God.

Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord. (Gen.6:8)

Thus did Noah according to all the Lord commanded. (Gen.6:22)
Abraham was not under Law, was he?

Nova2216

Speaking of which, Jesus got baptized, didn't he?

14 But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me? 15 And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him. (Mt.3:15)

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
What happens, in your opinion, to those that were not baptized and died before Jesus?
If you mean died before Jesus was on earth, then the verse applies

Hebrews 11:39-40 These were all commended for their faith, yet none of them received what had been promised, [40] since God had planned something better for us so that only together with us would they be made perfect.

Baptism in Jesus's name did not apply until it was first issued Matthew 28:19, Acts 2:38-39.

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
YoursTrue,
A question for you.
What are the verses that explicitly state the purpose for baptism in Jesus's name?
And what are those explicitly stated purposes?

Please spare me the commentary, just the verses and what is written in them.
Thank you.

Nova2216

The Ephesians were saved by grace just as Noah was in OT times. By doing all the Lord commanded.

(Eph.2:1-8)

1 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins; ...

5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ (by grace ye are saved;)

6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

The Ephesians were saved in (Acts 19:1-6).

They were baptized in water twice.

Nova2216

Yes! And Jesus baptized in holy spirit. Now you have it.

(Rom.6:3-6) says nothing about a Holy Spirit Baptism.

You have just added to the text -

"And Jesus baptized in holy spirit"

2 Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you. (Deut.4:2)

18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: 19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book. (Rev.22:18,19)

Nova2216

Yes! And Jesus baptized in holy spirit. Now you have it.

I posted (Romans 6:3-6) where it says one is Baptized INTO CHRIST and you agreed.

One is only saved if they have been baptized into Christ (2Tim.2:10) (Rom.6:3-6).

So BEFORE one is baptized into Christ they are lost.

Notice if you will one is BURIED INTO SOMETHING and then RAISED UP OUT OF IT.

If this means one is baptized into the Spirit then one is just as quick RAISED UP OUT OF the Spirit. Please tell me what good that would do?

Water fits this text perfectly (Rom.6:3-6) (1Peter 3:20,21) (Acts 8:38).

A person can be BURIED IN WATER and RAISED UP OUT OF WATER. Though man cannot die upon a cross physically he can repent of his sins and die to his old lifestyle (old man of sin) and through obeying the gospel (being immersed in water) become a new creature (2Cor.5:17) (2Thess.1:7-9). The new birth or new creation only happens after this burial and raising up out of water.(Rom.6:3-6).

The gospel is something men do (Mt 7:21) (Jn 7:17) (Jn 3:21).

If one contends that this is a Holy Spirit Baptism (Not Water Baptism) here is what you would have.

The person is buried in the Holy Spirit an then he is raised up out of the Spirit. Please tell me what good that would do?

Another point is that some claim they were baptized into Christ 2000 years ago.

How did this happen before they were ever born or before they ever sinned?

That cannot be explained logically.

If one has NOT EVER SINNED they are right with God (PS.139:14).

No one is BORN IN SIN according to (Ezekiel 18:20).

Babies are born innocent.

I am fearfully and wonderfully made. (Ps.134:14) -

20 The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him. (Ezek.18:20-24).

Thanks

rrobs

(Rom.6:3-6) says nothing about a Holy Spirit Baptism.

You have just added to the text -

"And Jesus baptized in holy spirit"

2 Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you. (Deut.4:2)

18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: 19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book. (Rev.22:18,19)
I guess you crossed out Luke 3:16 and Acts 1:5 from your Bible? Wouldn't Rev 22:19 apply to you?

Actually it wouldn't. Revelation is God's final dealing with the Jews, His completer fulfillment of the promises He made to them in the OT. As a born again son of God you have already passed judgment and been found as righteous as God Himself (Rom 3:22). You will have been gathered together with Christ and will be with him forevermore before the events of Revelation begin (1 Thess 4:13-19) so no worries for either you or me. I guess that brings us back to the original topic, i.e. Jesus did a complete job when he said, "it is finished." Our salvation was secured at that moment. Of course if people want to add to their salvation, it won't hurt (at least not in the overall scheme of things). It won't help, but it won't hurt, so go for it if you want.

Last edited:

rrobs

I posted (Romans 6:3-6) where it says one is Baptized INTO CHRIST and you agreed.

One is only saved if they have been baptized into Christ (2Tim.2:10) (Rom.6:3-6).

So BEFORE one is baptized into Christ they are lost.

Notice if you will one is BURIED INTO SOMETHING and then RAISED UP OUT OF IT.

If this means one is baptized into the Spirit then one is just as quick RAISED UP OUT OF the Spirit. Please tell me what good that would do?
I think you may be over analyzing the whole buried into something and raised up out of it. I'm not the one who said Jesus would baptize, not in water, but in holy spirit. Ask him what good it would do if you don't believe me.

If you research the word "baptism" you will discover that it simply means to be immersed in something. There is no inherent media in which something is immersed within the word itself. Christians tend to think water, but that is not how the word is always used. Under the definition of "baptism" on page 54 of his Encylopedia of Religion, Virgillios Ferm said (speaking of other religions),

"Because of their peculiar virtues, wine, oil, honey, blood, and cow's urine are sometimes used."
Was it Jeremiah who was buried up to his neck in dung? I think it was him, but whoever it was, it could be said they were baptized in dung? Yuck!

You must consider all verses on a given subject, to whom or about whom they were written, and when they were written in order to rightly divide God's word. You must also consider the overall context and message of the scriptures themselves. Obviously a main theme are the changes that the death and resurrection of Jesus effected. One of them was the media in which we are baptized. It went from water to holy spirit. It's really quite simple. As God said somewhere in the OT regarding the simplicity of His word, "not even a fool need error therein."

God bless

Nova2216

Rob, please answer these questions.

Does the church you attend practice one baptism or two baptisms?

I know you believe and practice a Spirit Baptism.

Does the church you attend practice water baptism also?

Thanks