• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus Revolution

Riders

I will order it and start to watch it however, if it really shows a lot of charismatic worship of and miracles and feelings and laying on my pants and that type of thing I may quit watching it.

If it reminds me of my old Pentecostal church I'll have to put it down but we'll see.
The charismatic movement of the '70s and '80s led to kind of a revival of the Pentecostals in the '90s .

So it depends on what all they go into we shall see.

My sister's and I back in the '70s listen to regular music from the '70s.

Listen to disco pop my sister's loved the Osmonds.
But my sister's also saying Christian music at church in the 70s when it was getting popular.

We saw Christian artists. I was very young probably 8 years old when we went and saw Keith Green. We saw Second Chapter of Acts Amy Grant.

So I'll look at it and see what I think about it.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
We still have that at our parish, and my wife and I truly enjoy it.
I think one major function of religion is to promote (enforce?) traditional lifestyles and values, and to keep the populace in line so as not to threaten the social order that sustains the rich and wealthy.
Most church members seem to use it as a social club.

A radically new, (hedonistic?) strange looking, liberal, individualist, anti-authoritarian subculture would be very disruptive of traditional church values -- even if it did support exactly what Jesus said.
It's no wonder that most churches moved to restore the original decorum.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I haven't seen it yet, but my parish showed it last year and went over very well. I couldn't attend because of the timing.

Is it on tv at all as far as you know?
you can actually see the first two series on youtube.

pearl

We still have that at our parish, and my wife and I truly enjoy it.

Back in the day when there were several masses the Saturday eve mass was a folk mass. There was a small enough attendance that allowed all to approach and surround the Altar during the communion rite. The atmosphere was one of closeness and warmth. But it wasn't long before the conservatives complained to the bishop who was new to the diocese.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I think one major function of religion is to promote (enforce?) traditional lifestyles and values, and to keep the populace in line so as not to threaten the social order that sustains the rich and wealthy.
Most church members seem to use it as a social club.
Whether they do or don't I feel is impossible to determine.

Reminds me of something Martin Luther said that I tend to agree with, namely that church services should not be entertaining, or people will go for the wrong reason. Generally speaking, the mass really isn't much entertaining as it's slow with intent to encourage us to contemplate what's being said. OTOH, I've been to some Protestant services whereas I felt like I was at some sort of concert-- I call it "noise".

A radically new, (hedonistic?) strange looking, liberal, individualist, anti-authoritarian subculture would be very disruptive of traditional church values -- even if it did support exactly what Jesus said.
Yes, and there's always going to be this tug of war going on within the faiths, and every religion and every denomination is prone to this. Same is true within Hinduism, as you well know.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Back in the day when there were several masses the Saturday eve mass was a folk mass. There was a small enough attendance that allowed all to approach and surround the Altar during the communion rite. The atmosphere was one of closeness and warmth. But it wasn't long before the conservatives complained to the bishop who was new to the diocese.
Ya, I can believe that. We have three masses on a weekend, and it's only the later Sunday mass whereas we have the folk group, and they only play every other month.

IMO, music created hundreds of years ago ain't any more holy that stuff created much more recently.

Riders

so I like to mention the comedy of All In Th Family and Archie Bunker in jail with Hippie Jesus freaks listening to Jesus Christ Superstar! this is hillarius!