• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus reveals ban on LGBTs to LDS elder apostle Russell M. Nelson

Skwim

Veteran Member
". . . it was the will of the Lord, confirmed by every single apostle according to the standard protocol that the LDS Church uses for revelations to the prophet.

At least that’s what LDS apostle Russell M. Nelson indicated yesterday in a devotional at BYU-Hawaii. Confronted with the reality of same-sex marriage becoming law in the United States, the Brethren met “repeatedly in the temple” to seek the Lord’s guidance on the matter.

"This is the first time I’ve seen an official from the LDS Church claiming the ban on gays to be not just another policy in the handbook — a handbook that is updated regularly and subject to change — but an actual revelation from the Lord.

. . .the policy has been baptized in a language of prophetic revelation similar to what President Spencer W. Kimball said in 1978 when all men of African descent were offered access to the priesthood: “We have pleaded long and earnestly in behalf of these, our faithful brethren, spending many hours in the Upper Room of the Temple supplicating the Lord for divine guidance.”

Now it seems the Lord has spoken once again. But unlike in 1978, when God’s will was to expand gospel blessings to all people, now it is to restrict them.

The Lord, apparently, thinks it is the right thing to do to bar some children from baptism based on the sexual orientation and choices of their parents.

To declare gay church members who are living in faithful and monogamous marriages to be apostates, subject to possible excommunication.

*snip*

Elder Nelson closed with dire warnings about people like me [Jana Riess, author of this article]. “The somber reality is that there are ‘servants of Satan’ embedded throughout society,” the Salt Lake Tribune quotes him as saying. “So be very careful about whose counsel you follow.”

I don’t believe God is behind this policy. This does not feel like holy revelation from the same God who declared there is neither Jew nor Gentile, slave nor free, male nor female — for we are all one in Christ Jesus.

By rejecting this policy, are active LDS church members like me, people who hold a calling and a temple recommend, now to be regarded as “servants of Satan”?
source

So, is this the beginning of the end of all LGBT Mormons. Are they all on their way to becoming persona non grata?

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Nelson is 91. I wonder how much younger people will come to view the Church in light of this?

vnc

So, is this the beginning of the end of all LGBT Mormons. Are they all on their way to becoming persona non grata?
the LDS church used to have a ministry for members struggling with homosexuality. maybe they terminated it.

NewGuyOnTheBlock

Cult Survivor/Fundamentalist Pentecostal Apostate
To ban and excommunicate the gays; now, that's one thing that, as one who cherishes freedom, I feel compelled (as a gay man) to extend to LDS in the spirit of preserving civil liberties ... It is, after all, a private and religious organization and certain concessions must be granted, even if distasteful ... But to ban the children because of the parents? That's beyond disgusting.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
. . . it was the will of the Lord, confirmed by every single apostle according to the standard protocol that the LDS Church uses for revelations to the prophet.

At least that’s what LDS apostle Russell M. Nelson indicated yesterday in a devotional at BYU-Hawaii. Confronted with the reality of same-sex marriage becoming law in the United States, the Brethren met “repeatedly in the temple” to seek the Lord’s guidance on the matter.

"This is the first time I’ve seen an official from the LDS Church claiming the ban on gays to be not just another policy in the handbook — a handbook that is updated regularly and subject to change — but an actual revelation from the Lord.

. . .the policy has been baptized in a language of prophetic revelation similar to what President Spencer W. Kimball said in 1978 when all men of African descent were offered access to the priesthood: “We have pleaded long and earnestly in behalf of these, our faithful brethren, spending many hours in the Upper Room of the Temple supplicating the Lord for divine guidance.”

Now it seems the Lord has spoken once again. But unlike in 1978, when God’s will was to expand gospel blessings to all people, now it is to restrict them.

The Lord, apparently, thinks it is the right thing to do to bar some children from baptism based on the sexual orientation and choices of their parents.

To declare gay church members who are living in faithful and monogamous marriages to be apostates, subject to possible excommunication.

*snip*

Elder Nelson closed with dire warnings about people like me [Jana Riess, author of this article]. “The somber reality is that there are ‘servants of Satan’ embedded throughout society,” the Salt Lake Tribune quotes him as saying. “So be very careful about whose counsel you follow.”

I don’t believe God is behind this policy. This does not feel like holy revelation from the same God who declared there is neither Jew nor Gentile, slave nor free, male nor female — for we are all one in Christ Jesus.

By rejecting this policy, are active LDS church members like me, people who hold a calling and a temple recommend, now to be regarded as “servants of Satan”?
source

It's crazy that something so silly could also be so hateful and disturbing.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
. . . it was the will of the Lord, confirmed by every single apostle according to the standard protocol that the LDS Church uses for revelations to the prophet.

*snip*

source

I am not sure what the LSD church is.

Ciao

- viole

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I'm a little surprised and disappointed.
I gave the LDS Church higher marks for practical morality.

Perhaps the old guys are trying to set policy before they die and younger people get hold of power. I dunno.
Tom

Skwim

Veteran Member
To ban and excommunicate the gays; now, that's one thing that, as one who cherishes freedom, I feel compelled (as a gay man) to extend to LDS in the spirit of preserving civil liberties ... It is, after all, a private and religious organization and certain concessions must be granted, even if distasteful ... But to ban the children because of the parents? That's beyond disgusting.

From another online article.

"Mormon Church leaders have sparked outrage with a decision to ban gay couples from having their children blessed and baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. In their new policy manual, leaked to social media on Thursday, the church also said that Mormon same-sex couples will be considered apostates under new church guidelines."
source
It would be nice to believe the outrage isn't only among the LGBT crowd. Not that I think it will make any difference.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
". . . it was the will of the Lord, confirmed by every single apostle according to the standard protocol that the LDS Church uses for revelations to the prophet.

*snip*

source

My first question is:
Why now?​

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
My guess is because same sex marriage has finally become an option in the USA.
There have been several states where same sex marriage was always an option.
If it wasn't for the arrogance of a few states, the Supreme Court would not have had to intervene.
So again, why now?

Seems to me it is a rather self serving proclamation.
Especially given the painfully obvious timing.

Skwim

Veteran Member
There have been several states where same sex marriage was always an option.
If it wasn't for the arrogance of a few states, the Supreme Court would not have had to intervene.
So again, why now?
My suspicion, and that's all it is, is that there was a bit of wrangling within the brotherhood as to how to handle it. In light of the rapidly expanding acceptance of GLBTs across the country, would a mere announcement of policy from the ruling elders carry enough weight to stop Mormon folk from accepting LGBT as a valid life style, or should they appeal to Jesus to establish the clout they felt was needed to bring everyone in line.