• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus raised Himself from the dead

Teritos

John 2:19-22
Jesus answered and said to them: Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up. But he spoke about the temple of his body. Now when he was raised from the dead, his disciples remembered that he had said this, and they believed the Scripture and the word that Jesus had spoken.

According to the Bible, only Jesus' body died, but the spirit within him never died and cannot die. Because all things exist through him, if his spirit would die, the whole world would perish.
What do you think about it?

danieldemol

Premium Member
Jesus answered and said to them: Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up. But he spoke about the temple of his body. Now when he was raised from the dead, his disciples remembered that he had said this, and they believed the Scripture and the word that Jesus had spoken.

According to the Bible, only Jesus' body died, but the spirit within him never died and cannot die. Because all things exist through him, if his spirit would die, the whole world would perish.
I think it fits with a Jesus who believed He wasn't annihilated at death. But I think you are probably relying on other scriptures to say that all things exist through Jesus, because it appears to not say that in the text you quoted.

Pilgrim Soldier

Jesus is God and God is a Spirit and His spirit has no beginning and no end. We have a soul which can never cease to exist, it will live on into all eternity after our body dies.

Colt

That is correct! Jesus tied the resurrection to the "proofs" demanded by the Pharisees of his "authority". Imagine Christianity without the return of Jesus?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Where's the sacrifice?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

daniel 12:2 mentions this and revelation tells how it can be done for same.

jesus is a pattern not an exception

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
That is correct! Jesus tied the resurrection to the "proofs" demanded by the Pharisees of his "authority". Imagine Christianity without the return of Jesus?

he has returned already for some john 14:20

but did he really go anywhere? matthew 28:20

LightofTruth

According to the Bible, Jesus himself died and God raised him from the dead.

Act_2:24 Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it.

Act_2:32 This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.

Act_3:15 And killed the Prince of life, whom God hath raised from the dead; whereof we are witnesses.

Act_4:10 Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.

Act_5:30 The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree.

Act_13:30 But God raised him from the dead:

Act_13:33 God hath fulfilled the same unto us their children, in that he hath raised up Jesus again; as it is also written in the second psalm, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee.

Act_13:37 But he, whom God raised again, saw no corruption.

Rom_7:4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God

Rom_8:34 Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.

Rom_10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

1Co_6:14 And God hath both raised up the Lord, and will also raise up us by his own power.

1Co_15:15 Yea, and we are found false witnesses of God; because we have testified of God that he raised up Christ: whom he raised not up, if so be that the dead rise not.

Gal_1:1 Paul, an apostle, (not of men, neither by man, but by Jesus Christ, and God the Father, who raised him from the dead.

Col_2:12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

1Th 5:10 Who died for us, that, whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with him.

1Pe_1:21 Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God.

Colt

he has returned already for some john 14:20

but did he really go anywhere? matthew 28:20
Yes, he returned to his rightful place on high after which he poured out the "spirit of truth" on us all.

Colt

According to the Bible, Jesus himself died and God raised him from the dead.

Act_2:24 Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it.

Act_2:32 This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.

Act_3:15 And killed the Prince of life, whom God hath raised from the dead; whereof we are witnesses.

Act_4:10 Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.

Act_5:30 The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree.

Act_13:30 But God raised him from the dead:

Act_13:33 God hath fulfilled the same unto us their children, in that he hath raised up Jesus again; as it is also written in the second psalm, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee.

Act_13:37 But he, whom God raised again, saw no corruption.

Rom_7:4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God

Rom_8:34 Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.

Rom_10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

1Co_6:14 And God hath both raised up the Lord, and will also raise up us by his own power.

1Co_15:15 Yea, and we are found false witnesses of God; because we have testified of God that he raised up Christ: whom he raised not up, if so be that the dead rise not.

Gal_1:1 Paul, an apostle, (not of men, neither by man, but by Jesus Christ, and God the Father, who raised him from the dead;)

Col_2:12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

1Th 5:10 Who died for us, that, whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with him.

1Pe_1:21 Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God.
Jesus is God, so returning from the death of his body on his own volition is the same as saying "God raised him up".

People who believe in the preexistent divinity of Jesus tend to quote Jesus, people who don't tend to quote Paul.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Yes, he returned to his rightful place on high after which he poured out the "spirit of truth" on us all.
the spirit of truth is in all colossians 3:11. it just needs to be understood by those who are dead.

no one goes up to heaven except the son of man who came down. the Spirit returns to the one who gave it; whether one who had it knew or not

son of man

The rendering for the Hebrew "ben adam," applied to mankind in general, as opposed to and distinct from non-human relationship; expressing also the larger, unlimited implications of humanity as differentiated from limited (e.g., national) forms and aspects of human life. Thus, contrasted with the "sons of God" ("bene Elohim") are the "daughters of man" ("benot ha-adam"), women taken by the former, non-human or super-human, beings as wives (Gen. vi. 2 et seq.). As expressing difference from God, the term occurs in the blessing of Balaam: "God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent" (Num. xxiii. 19).

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Jesus is God, so returning from the death of his body on his own volition is the same as saying "God raised him up".

People who believe in the preexistent divinity of Jesus tend to quote Jesus, people who don't tend to quote Paul.
yet jesus said you are all gods; so jesus isn't god alone

Colt

the spirit of truth is in all colossians 3:11. it just needs to be understood by those who are dead.

no one goes up to heaven except the son of man who came down. the Spirit returns to the one who gave it; whether one who had it knew or not

son of man

The rendering for the Hebrew "ben adam," applied to mankind in general, as opposed to and distinct from non-human relationship; expressing also the larger, unlimited implications of humanity as differentiated from limited (e.g., national) forms and aspects of human life. Thus, contrasted with the "sons of God" ("bene Elohim") are the "daughters of man" ("benot ha-adam"), women taken by the former, non-human or super-human, beings as wives (Gen. vi. 2 et seq.). As expressing difference from God, the term occurs in the blessing of Balaam: "God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent" (Num. xxiii. 19).
Jesus was both human and divine. He was and is real.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I disagree. We are Sons of God and potentially eternal. We didn't preexist as creators in heaven before this world was.
there is one father, not two.

malachi 2:10

you can disagree all you like but fantasy and belief are not necessarily real things. this is why it is written, belief like faith without works is d-e-a-d

jesus was begotten; which literally means created.

again the bible and jesus didn't promote idolatry because to a jew it's the gravest of sins. jesus was a jew. idolatry is the abomination which causes desolation because unlike an idolator who elevates someone, or something above another, god is not a respecter of persons. god makes the sunshine to shine and rain to fall on all.

my spirit pre-existed the creation of my body.

ecclesiastes 12:7

1 corinthians 6:19

you associate yourself with the body. i associate myself with the Spirit. that is the difference in understanding.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I disagree. We are Sons of God and potentially eternal. We didn't preexist as creators in heaven before this world was.
you are a believer and not a knower john 14:20 is about knowing. jesus said what ever you do unto the least of these, you do unto me.

so something about jesus is the same about other as self.

Colt

there is one father, not two.

malachi 2:10

you can disagree all you like but fantasy and belief are not necessarily real things. this is why it is written, belief like faith without works is d-e-a-d

jesus was begotten; which literally means created.

again the bible and jesus didn't promote idolatry because to a jew it's the gravest of sins. it is the abomination which causes desolation because unlike an idolator who elevates someone, or something above another, god is not a respecter of persons. god makes the sunshine to shine and rain to fall on all.

my spirit pre-existed the creation of my body.

ecclesiastes 12:7

1 corinthians 6:19

you associate yourself with the body. i associate myself with the Spirit. that is the difference in understanding.
Just because you don't understand it, and don't believe it ,doesn't mean it isn't true. The Father delegates powers and authority to his subordinate sons of relative divinity. To us they are One, they are God.