• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus isn't Jewish

calm

'Before Abraham, I AM'.

~Jesus

If you believe that Jesus is 'Jewish', then how can that be, since either way one interprets this verse, it's 'before Abraham'.

Discuss and debate
When Jesus says, "Before Abraham was, I am." Then he refers it to his divinity. You have to know that Jesus is man and God at the same time.
And Jesus human side is Jewish, he is one of the children of Jacob, he was circumcised on the 8th day as baby and fulfilled the Jewish law until his death.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
'Before Abraham, I AM'.

~Jesus

If you believe that Jesus is 'Jewish', then how can that be, since either way one interprets this verse, it's 'before Abraham'.

Discuss and debate
Typical stuff from John.

As if Jesus said that .

John the apostle didn't even meet Jesus, let alone ever hear any such talk.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
'Before Abraham, I AM'.

~Jesus

Discuss and debate

Romans 2:29
But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.

Jeremiah 4:4 Amplified Bible, Classic Edition (AMPC)
4 Circumcise yourselves to the Lord and take away the foreskins of your hearts, you men of Judah and inhabitants of Jerusalem, lest My wrath go forth like fire [consuming all that gets in its way] and burn so that no one can quench it because of the evil of your doings.

Definitely Jewish.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
If you have Christian parents does that automatically make you a Christian?

Considering that the extreme vast majority of theists simply "inherit" the religion of their parents and stick to it, I wouldn't say it's "automatically", but it surely is extremely likely.

But that's irrelevant though, because "jewish" is a word that refers to both a religion and a cultural ethnicity.
This is why certain atheists still identify as "jewish", because they had a jewish mother.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
There were different groups of 'jews', with differing beliefs. So, how far do you want to go, with generalizing. If you equate Yeshua to a very general religious category, very broad, then you aren't saying much. They shared texts.

Look, if you are simply going to ignore the very real, and very extant, cultural phenomenon that people born of a jewish mother are considered jewish (in context of cultural ethnicity), then really there is nothing much to be said.

It's a bit like pretending catholics aren't christians because they don't share protestant beliefs.
If you are going to argue from your very own, very personal, definition of what the word "jewish" means, then obviously you will be disagreeing with everybody else, who understands that words aren't defined by individuals based on their personal opinions.

You can define the word "table" to mean "chair" all you want, but it will just end up confusing conversation when conversing with people who go by the dictionary definition.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Jesus was born and raised a Jew. He never renounced his Jewishness.
He was certainly not a Christian. A Christian is a follower of Christ. Christianity was not formulated till after his death and resurrection.

JJ50

Jesus was born and raised a Jew. He never renounced his Jewishness.
He was certainly not a Christian. A Christian is a follower of Christ. Christianity was not formulated till after his death and resurrection.
I believe that guy, Paul, created the religion.

But that's irrelevant though, because "jewish" is a word that refers to both a religion and a cultural ethnicity.

Cultural identities can be changed though, it's not genetic ethnicity.

If 2000 years ago, you had a Palestinian Jew and their non-Jewish neighbour and they both became Romanised, took new names, renounced their old faiths and took up the Roman gods and values, they would be now share the same cultural ethnicity and would be indistinguishable (without looking at their johnsons at least).

sooda

Veteran Member
Cultural identities can be changed though, it's not genetic ethnicity.

If 2000 years ago, you had a Palestinian Jew and their non-Jewish neighbour and they both became Romanised, took new names, renounced their old faiths and took up the Roman gods and values, they would be now share the same cultural ethnicity and would be indistinguishable (without looking at their johnsons at least).

There are Arab Bedouin in the Negev who are Muslims but have some Jewish cultural practices.. Same with the Pashtun in Afghanistan who claim to be descended from the tribe of Benjamin.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Jesus very much was Jewish, plus he said that he "came only for the Jews" at first. It was only later that he added Gentiles.

leov

'Before Abraham, I AM'.

~Jesus

Discuss and debate
This is spoken by Christ dwelling in Jesus.

dianaiad

There were different groups of 'jews', with differing beliefs. So, how far do you want to go, with generalizing. If you equate Yeshua to a very general religious category, very broad, then you aren't saying much. They shared texts.

Moving the goal posts, are you? Yes, "Jewish" includes several different religious groups. Did then, too. Many people think that Jesus was one of the Essenes...I'm not sure. However, "Jewish" was mentioned, not 'what specific sort of Jewish."

His mother was Jewish, so He was. Doesn't matter whether He went for the Essenes, the Sadducees, the Pharisees or whatever. He was Jewish. he wasn't Greek, He wasn't Roman. He wasn't any one of any of the other cultural groups around. He was Jewish. Why is this a problem?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
When Jesus says, "Before Abraham was, I am."
punctuation could play it differently

before Abraham...…...I AM!

or

Jesus could be professing the law
that He personified in His Presence and teaching

or

He might have been speaking of the Spirit
that He would be part of
and that Spirit having existed from the beginning

the Force was with Him
so to speak

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
'Before Abraham, I AM'.

~Jesus

Discuss and debate

Jesus was Galilean.

Who were the "Galileans" in the Days of Jesus? - Travelujah

Whether it had been Jewish migrants from Judea or a Galilean peasantry forcibly converted to Judaism that ultimately became the “Galileans” of Jesus’ day, one thing seems reasonably clear: they were considered different in many respects from Jews living farther to the south, closer to Jerusalem.