• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Jesus is the only way": required or not for a Christian?

"Jesus is the only way": Required or Not?

• Total voters

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I like science because it filters out mistakes made in "blind faith"

Matthew 22:37-39 New International Version (NIV)
37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.

a) "like" implies first and second commandments are equally "greatest commandment"
b) "like" implies following second commandment is enough to follow
c) Jesus tells what is needed AND does NOT mention "Jesus is the only way" as being essential

No scientific definition, let alone proof, of a physical God. So for the sake of argument and simplicity, I think it's good to skip 22:37 and stick to 22:38+39

If first commandment = second commandment ("like") both are greatest meaning all others are subordinate, and can be discarded if they are "opposing first and/or second commandment". So for simplicity stick to "opposing second commentment".

* Masters are known to be smart and wise and accurate. Jesus addresses a group here, and gives them advise. He does NOT explicitly say "this is for all", nor "this is universal, for all time". So I think it is wise NOT to read more into His words.

* At least it might be safe to assume: Advise was meant for Christians at that time.

* This poll is NOT about whether or not it is meant for non Christians. Just to keep it simple

From the above it seems to me reasonable to conclude the following:
A = For a good Christian "Jesus is the only way" is not essential to believe in
B = For a good Christian "God, and knowledge of God" is not essential

1): As a Christian I agree to A + B [God+Jesus is not essential to believe in]
2): As a Christian I do not agree to A + B [God+Jesus is not essential to believe in]
3): As a non Christian I agree to A + B [God+Jesus is not essential to believe in]
4): As a non Christian I do not agree to A + B [God+Jesus is not essential to believe in]

*: Note: @Windwalker: I brought in "Jesus is the only way", because about all Christians I met tell me believing this is essential for being a Christian while I believe the above verse (Mt 22:39) is essential. I am curious if other Christians have different views [I hope this solves confusion]

Last edited:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This is very confusing. First of all "Jesus is the only way" has nothing to do with the verses you are quoting which was in response to the question posed to Jesus, "What is the greatest commandment". "I am the way the truth and the life", were not spoken in this context and has little to do with his response to the questioner.

His response was to equate the first commandment with his adding a second: "Love God and love your neighbor as yourself" as the same thing, the former being finding the Source of love, the latter being an expression of that Love found in the former. Is that universal? Yes. As he concludes, "On these two commandments hang all the law and prophets", which to give another word for that, "the totality of religious expression", or "the law of Dharma". One without the other fails to fulfill the law of Love. If you say you love God, yet lie to and steal from your neighbor, you are not truly loving God, as the latter is an extension, or result of the former.

This is saying that in order to fulfill the law of God, Dharma, you have to empty yourself of your own self-seeking and find the true Self. In so finding that within you, you then are capable of fulfilling the nature of God in the world, manifest by doing no harm to another. "Love is the fulfilling of the law". "Love works no ill". That is universal, and not just a Christian thing. In no way does this equate to belief systems. It is a matter of spiritual principle, not doctrines.

stvdv

This is very confusing. First of all "Jesus is the only way" has nothing to do with the verses you are quoting which was in response to the question posed to Jesus, "What is the greatest commandment". "I am the way the truth and the life", were not spoken in this context and has little to do with his response to the questioner.

@Windwalker : Thanks for pointing out what confused you. I added a note to the original post, and hope it solves confusion.

Last edited:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
*: Note: @Windwalker: I brought in "Jesus is the only way", because about all Christians I met tell me believing this is essential for being a Christian while I believe the above verse (Mt 22:39) is essential. I am curious if other Christians have different views [I hope this solves confusion]
This helps clarify. For the topic of what Jesus may have meant when he said "I am the way, the truth and the life", there was a good discussion of this sometime back started by a Dominican Monk on RF. I shared some of my own thoughts on it in that discussion: Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but throug

I don't think the exclusivist understanding of many Christians is correct or consistent with the teachings of Jesus, nor do I see that exclusivist interpretation of that verse to be essential to identifying oneself as a "Christian". To me, that designation has more to do with being a member of a religion, or rather a particular sect of that religion, rather than actually following the way Jesus taught. The way Jesus taught is found in most all religions, and it is summarized exactly in the two greatest commandments: love God and love your neighbor as yourself. All the rest is fluff.

stvdv

This helps clarify. For the topic of what Jesus may have meant when he said "I am the way, the truth and the life", there was a good discussion of this sometime back started by a Dominican Monk on RF. I shared some of my own thoughts on it in that discussion: Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but throug

I don't think the exclusivist understanding of many Christians is correct or consistent with the teachings of Jesus, nor do I see that exclusivist interpretation of that verse to be essential to identifying oneself as a "Christian". To me, that designation has more to do with being a member of a religion, or rather a particular sect of that religion, rather than actually following the way Jesus taught. The way Jesus taught is found in most all religions, and it is summarized exactly in the two greatest commandments: love God and love your neighbor as yourself. All the rest is fluff.

Thanks for sharing your views, and giving me the link [will read it now, I'm curious what people's view about this quote of Jesus is].

Last edited:

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
My understanding is the ‘Jesus is the only way’ tradition is mainly to keep memberships from falling as nowhere in the Bible is the Word ‘only’ used.

Jesus emphasised love of God and man emphatically. But when He said He was the way it means to me that the way to God is through the Manifestation of God and that man of himself cannot find the way to God without the help of a Manifestation of God which Christ was.

It’s like comparing the light of the sun to the light of a candle. The sun uncovers vast areas of darkness whereas a candle may just struggle to illuminate a small room.

So by turning to the Sun of Reality, the Manifestation, we get much more truth and spiritual light than from ourselves who are but tiny candles in this vast existence.

No man, no matter how acute his reasoning or perception is endowed with infallible knowledge but the Manifestations of God are innately all knowing as God has sent them to guide us and has endowed them with the Holy Spirit.

Ignorance implies there is knowledge for ignorance is the absence of knowledge. Imperfection implies there is perfection for imperfection is but lack of perfection and imperfect beings implies there is a Perfect Being with perfect knowledge and They are the Manifestations of God Who appear from time to time.

There is no man in existence who knows everything there is to know to categorically disprove or deny this but we do have the Lives and Teachings of These Suns of Reality to turn to for proof they were Infallible Perfect Beings.

We may reject Them out of ignorance or bias but not knowledge for none of us are all knowing.

stvdv

My understanding is the ‘Jesus is the only way’ tradition is mainly to keep memberships from falling as nowhere in the Bible is the Word ‘only’ used.
Knowing Rome = Money+Power+Control, I think you are right. Wouldn't be surprised if original contents has been changed to "fit the bill".

Jesus emphasised love of God and man emphatically. But when He said He was the way it means to me that the way to God is through the Manifestation of God and that man of himself cannot find the way to God without the help of a Manifestation of God which Christ was.
That is nicely said. Respecting other manifestations of God also.

So by turning to the Sun of Reality, the Manifestation, we get much more truth and spiritual light than from ourselves who are but tiny candles in this vast existence.
They really are great examples for us which can inspire us a lot

Ignorance implies there is knowledge for ignorance is the absence of knowledge. Imperfection implies there is perfection for imperfection is but lack of perfection and imperfect beings implies there is a Perfect Being with perfect knowledge and They are the Manifestations of God Who appear from time to time..
India also shares this wisdom: Avatars incarnated on earth. Perfect from birth (so, not reincarnated). Some had all 16 divine attributes. Others a little less [just as was needed].

We may reject Them out of ignorance or bias but not knowledge for none of us are all knowing.
Realizing this, it's easy to understand that many reject Avatars, Saints, Manifestation of the Divine. Babies won't understand Einstein theory. None can fully understand these Great Ones.

This I like, to look and search for "common ground", instead of fighting which is the best. Thanks for sharing your view according to Bahai.

= = =

I don't think the Bible is concerned with semantics, it's more about the general message.

@Woburts: I am so not a fan of semantics. I love simplicity. Bible is not written simple. But I can understand. Book of law is not simple; obvious to me; gives some scope to fool the "fools" [see also first point]

there was a good discussion of this sometime back started by a Dominican Monk on RF. I shared some of my own thoughts on it in that discussion: Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but throug

Thanks to @Windwalker: link mentioned above I found out that all my questions I had, have been answered 5 years ago. I really need to find out how I can search this forum efficiently.

In the link below my question "Jesus only way or not" ..... or ......"Love neighbour as thyself"....has been dealt with. Only in the other way round. Exactly the same question&answer. so thanks again. For me now it's all very clear. That one was solved very quick. I think I have no more questions left now.
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but throug

Last edited:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Thanks to @Windwalker: link mentioned above I found out that all my questions I had, have been answered 5 years ago. I really need to find out how I can search this forum efficiently.

In the link below my question "Jesus only way or not" ..... or ......"Love neighbour as thyself"....has been dealt with. Only in the other way round. Exactly the same question&answer. so thanks again. For me now it's all very clear. That one was solved very quick. I think I have no more questions left now.
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but throug
That's awesome! If you want to have further discussion, I'd enjoy that myself as I'm sure I have new thoughts to flesh out from when I was in that thread some years ago.

Here's another one I thought of you may enjoy, since you liked that one. I go into some depth after the first half dozen or so of my replies in that thread. It gets pretty deep on both sides of the discussion I ended up focusing with one member later in the thread: Logos and Aum

stvdv

Here's another one I thought of you may enjoy, since you liked that one. I go into some depth after the first half dozen or so of my replies in that thread. It gets pretty deep on both sides of the discussion I ended up focusing with one member later in the thread: Logos and Aum

@Windwalker: Thanks a lot. "Aum" that's more familiar to me. I finally found out how to search the forum, so did already see some more recent posts of you, and read some of your "newer"2017 views on the Bible [1231 hits on "WindWalker + Jesus"; you love Jesus a lot;)]. Tomorrow I will read the "Aum" post. I did read "Logos" in another post of you, and never heard of that. But that is solved with "Logos and Aum" I guess.

Your Religion "Love, Light and Life" sums it up quite well I think. This feels very positive. Not only for yourself, but it also gives "Love, Light and Life" to others. First time I returned from India a friend asked me "what did you learn?". I replied "I only need to be a Light". And from the Bible I only need "Love thy neighbour as thyself". So guess it's quite obvious why I love "your religion".

"We all can see God. And that is not limited to one religion"
I saw you writing this in 2017. I feel that is the most important to understand; without this view I feel peace on earth is impossible. Your view does not exclude anyone, thereby you show ultimate respect. Hurting someone by stepping on their soul[belief] is worse then physically killing; many religious people say they are prepared to die for their religion. But sadly many of those are too blind to see that "they do unto others, what they don't want others to do unto them". Christian/Moslim won't be happy if I talk negative about Jesus/Mohammed, so..... That was the final lesson I have to learn "father forgive them, for they don't get it, that they step on others' soul when trashing others' religion or believe system [atheist or humanist..]".

So by reading those words of you, you have already gone quite a bit "into some depth". You hit the jackpot already I believe.

Thanks for offering "If you want to have further discussion". You offered respect. That is most valuable at this moment to me. But if I need some clarification, I will let you know. My 2 topics were to check how Christians interpret the Bible. This I know now. That chapter (or the whole Bible) I can close now [Before these Christians make me hate Jesus]. "Love, Light, Life" is the key to experience God. Only 3 words, and easy words. No chance to misinterpret.

Last edited:

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Not necessarily.

If the Bible says "Love God with all of your heart"... and to love God is to love His son and if you don't love his son by rejecting His son, you don't love God... wouldn't that still fit in?

John 14:21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him
23 [URL='https://www.biblestudytools.com/interlinear-bible/strongs/?t=kjv&ll=g&sn=2424']Jesus
answered and said unto him,If a man love me,he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.
24 He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.

It would appear that if one loves God, one must love what Jesus said because His words came from the Father. Thus, if he said, "I AM the way, the truth and the life. No man comes to the Father but through me"... wouldn't it then be a requirement?[/URL]

Axe Elf

Prophet
I believe that Jesus' sacrifice is the only mechanism by which the gap between man's nature of selfishness and God's nature of love could be bridged; thus, no one is able to enter into the presence of God except by way of Jesus.

However, I also believe that this mechanism works implicitly for honest seekers of God in ALL religions. Anyone who seeks God can find Him, and can enter into the presence of God, because of Jesus' sacrifice, even for those who are ignorant of that mechanism. So it is true that no man comes to the Father except by Jesus, but it is not true that one has to be a Christian to enter into the presence of God (to be "saved," or granted eternal life with God).

And I have other sheep [beside these] that are not of this fold. I must bring and impel those also; and they will listen to My voice and heed My call, and so there will be [they will become] one flock under one Shepherd.
--John 10:16 (Amplified Bible)

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
@Windwalker: Thanks a lot. "Aum" that's more familiar to me.
I'll be interested in your thoughts on that as well. My thoughts are always evolving, so I should read back through that thread myself to see how I might have modified some of my thoughts from back then. That's the name of the game, keep growing.

I finally found out how to search the forum, so did already see some more recent posts of you, and read some of your "newer"2017 views on the Bible [1231 hits on "WindWalker + Jesus"; you love Jesus a lot;)].
I've never really thought about it that way, for some reason. While I don't like to identify myself as any religion per se, my native language so to speak is from the Christian tradition. The realizations and thoughts I have find easy access in that tradition, and I hear a great deal of the truths of all the major religions expressed in the teachings of Jesus. Though, I will add, how someone hears them, what they take away from them, is entirely reflective of where they are at on the path of their own Realization.

Things I heard in my youth resonate in my mind at an entirely different frequency now than then. They carry far more truth for me now than I heard them before. I don't hold to them as "the best" or "better" or "right" any more than what I hear in the words of the Buddha, or from the Gita, or others Enlightened masters.

Tomorrow I will read the "Aum" post. I did read "Logos" in another post of you, and never heard of that. But that is solved with "Logos and Aum" I guess.
I think I might issue some caution here. Though I may have shared my views, in no way am I reflective of all Christians! :) In fact, I'd say most wouldn't quite agree with where I take things, and that's fine. We're all at a different place on our paths, and many are in fact quite exclusivist, which I find maybe fine for them, but impossible for me. So, don't be surprised if others aren't as "open" as I am.

Your Religion "Love, Light and Life" sums it up quite well I think. This feels very positive. Not only for yourself, but it also gives "Love, Light and Life" to others.
Thank you. I am pleased beyond words to hear that speaks to you. And it is that Love, Light, and Life that shines on and through all of us, to which we seek return, to come Home, to know the freedom of Truth that is all of us.

First time I returned from India a friend asked me "what did you learn?". I replied "I only need to be a Light". And from the Bible I only need "Love thy neighbour as thyself". So guess it's quite obvious why I love "your religion".
Well, I'll say this. You are a Light. I can hear that, and it inspires me.

Christian/Moslim won't be happy if I talk negative about Jesus/Mohammed, so..... That was the final lesson I have to learn "father forgive them, for they don't get it, that they step on others' soul when trashing others' religion or believe system [atheist or humanist..]".
It is a hard lesson to learn to stop and respect the other's perspective when you have a different one that may in fact be quite negative. Each person interprets things based on where they are at on their path, and to be gracious you have to allow them to have a positive view when yours may be negative. You see things from a perspective they themselves don't understand.

The key is to find common ground, and normally that would be Love. They may view this figure as good, and that they see good is what is important. They are choosing good. Once that respect becomes the common ground, then discussions of differences are in an atmosphere of friendship, not adversity. You can learn from them and it enriches your own perspective, and they can learn from you likewise.

There is this saying I used to have in my signature line I think I'll add back. "There are many paths that lead from the foot of the mountain, but at its peak we all gaze at the single bright moon." It's from a 13th century Zen poet.

"Love, Light, Life" is the key to experience God. Only 3 words, and easy words. No chance to misinterpret.
Where I adopted those was from these three verses:

"God is Love". 1 Jn. 4:8
"God is Light", 1. Jn. 1:5
"God is Spirit", Jn. 4:24

I hear these like Satchitananda; Being, Consciousness, Bliss. or in placed in the same order; Life, Light, and Love.

Last edited:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It absolutely would be. That doesn't mean they have to be a Christian. Jesus said in what you quoted, "He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him", and that would be so by the fact of what is in their heart, not by what they profess religiously. Someone can "obey God" never having even heard of Jesus and be more a follower of Christ that most Christians who hears his words, and do the opposite because the truth is not in them.

A Hindu can easily be serving the truth of what Christ taught than a Christian, even while finding the Christian religion to not speak the Truth and never bothering to look further than their own religion since they have found God already there. Please do not mistake Christianity with Christ.

And the same holds true for atheists. Many atheists are more in touch with God by what is in their heart, versus those who plaster bumper stickers on their cars professing for the world to take notice and see how righteous they are because of claiming to love Jesus, like a trumpet playing to announce one's prayers in the public spaces.

God doesn't have a religion. So why should we claim other's don't know him when they aren't part of our own, whatever that may be?

Last edited:

Ponder This

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.

a) "like" implies first and second commandments are equally "greatest commandment"
c) Jesus tells what is needed AND does NOT mention "Jesus is the only way" as being essential

No scientific definition, let alone proof, of a physical God. So for the sake of argument and simplicity, I think it's good to skip 22:37 and stick to 22:38+39

If first commandment = second commandment ("like") both are greatest meaning all others are subordinate, and can be discarded if they are "opposing first and/or second commandment". So for simplicity stick to "opposing second commentment".

* Masters are known to be smart and wise and accurate. Jesus addresses a group here, and gives them advise. He does NOT explicitly say "this is for all", nor "this is universal, for all time". So I think it is wise NOT to read more into His words.

* At least it might be safe to assume: Advise was meant for Christians at that time.

* This poll is NOT about whether or not it is meant for non Christians. Just to keep it simple

2): As a Christian I do not agree to A + B [God+Jesus is not essential to believe in]
3): As a non Christian I agree to A + B [God+Jesus is not essential to believe in]
4): As a non Christian I do not agree to A + B [God+Jesus is not essential to believe in]

I do believe that if a person calls himself a Christian, people will generally believe him to be one.

As for 'good'... "No one is good--except God alone." (from Mark 10:18)

Perhaps it should be more closely examined what A+B are requirements for.

74x12

If anyone keeps His commandments then they love Him and He will show Himself to them.

stvdv

If the Bible says "Love God with all of your heart"... and to love God is to love His son and if you don't love his son by rejecting His son, you don't love God... wouldn't that still fit in?

@KenS: If the Bible says "Love God with all of your heart"... and to love God is to love His son and if you don't love his son by rejecting His son, you don't love God... wouldn't that still fit in?

Definitely: Boeddha is also God's son. for that matter who is not God's son {if God is the creator of all}. So if you say:

@KenS: If the Bible says "Love God with all of your heart"... and to love God is to love His son and if you don't love his son by rejecting Any son, you don't love God... wouldn't that still fit in? {rejecting daughters shouldn't be done to, I am sure; without daughters you and I would not exist even}

Then for me it is more complete; at least back into respect to all.

Last edited:

stvdv

It would appear that if one loves God, one must love what Jesus said because His words came from the Father. Thus, if he said, "I AM the way, the truth and the life. No man comes to the Father but through me"... wouldn't it then be a requirement?

@KenS: Yes I agree with you IF you don't exclude non-christians who follow their belief system. No, if you say that other religions won't lead to salvation. See also the replies @Axe Elf [very creative and clear information IMHO]

"No one meets God but through these spiritual truths I {Jesus} teach."
And what are those teachings? "Love God above all, and your neighbour as yourself."
This is a post from 2013: Summarizes it also very clear IMHO

When I was 10 years old I debated my Christian mother and told her. 2000 years ago, there was no Jesus, so all were doomed, no chance to reach God. And how about those not knowing Jesus. Or those believing in another messenger God sent them. They were false? God sent them liars? The God that you say is Loving?
[This part is not for debate; I was 10 years old that time. But still quite spot on then, I still think]

Last edited:

Axe Elf

Prophet
When I was 10 years old I debated my Christian mother and told her. 2000 years ago, there was no Jesus, so all were doomed, no chance to reach God. And how about those not knowing Jesus. Or those believing in another messenger God sent them. They were false? God sent them liars? The God that you say is Loving?
[This part is not for debate; I was 10 years old that time. But still quite spot on then, I still think]

You said this part is not for debate, so I will not attempt to debate you. I will, however, attempt to educate you.

When you are not confined to spacetime, the passage of time doesn't matter. The sacrifice of Jesus 2000 years ago means that the sacrifice has always happened, is happening now, and always will happen. So it redeems those who died "before" it as well as those who died "after" it.