• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus is a Fictional Character

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I think regardless of whether there existed a Jew/Rabbi at the source of the Biblical account. Jesus did not write anything. Can't even be sure, if he existed, what he looked like.

What we have is a fictional character, not a real character. There is simply not enough information about Jesus for Jesus to be real character. Even the name Jesus is a fictional creation.

Are you ok with Jesus as fictional or do you feel a need to insist that Jesus existed as a real person?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
To be fair, if we apply the same standard, then so are Socrates, Confucius, and Pythagoras.
Actually no. There are much more archeological evidences available that these people existed more than Jesus.

The standard is based on available historical evidences and if Jesus had those same type of evidences, there wouldn't be as much speculation.

Jesus is a demigod anyways, and belongs in the pantheon of all other mythological gods and demigods.

I think regardless of whether there existed a Jew/Rabbi at the source of the Biblical account. Jesus did not write anything. Can't even be sure, if he existed, what he looked like.

What we have is a fictional character, not a real character. There is simply not enough information about Jesus for Jesus to be real character. Even the name Jesus is a fictional creation.

Are you ok with Jesus as fictional or do you feel a need to insist that Jesus existed as a real person?

Mythical makes more sense than "fictional"

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member

Not. There's other historical writings that mention him. And his name is Yeshua, loosely translated as Jesus in English.

The Roman historian Tacitus wrote:

Nero fastened the guilt ... on a class hated for their abominations, called Christians by the populace. Christus, from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of ... Pontius Pilatus, and a most mischievous superstition, thus checked for the moment, again broke out not only in Judaea, the first source of the evil, but even in Rome....[5]

Then there's Josephus, first century Jewish historian. On two occasions, in his Jewish Antiquities, he mentions Jesus.

About this time there lived Jesus, a wise man, if indeed one ought to call him a man. For he ... wrought surprising feats.... He was the Christ. When Pilate ...condemned him to be crucified, those who had . . . come to love him did not give up their affection for him. On the third day he appeared ... restored to life.... And the tribe of Christians ... has ... not disappeared.[17]

It REALLY doesn't matter if Jesus was a real bloke. What's really up for discussion is if he is God? or God of the Bible?

Spoiler Alert!!

He isn't...

Glad we cleared that up :)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I do believe a guy existed on which the NT is based (actually a couple of guys) only not in the way described. My guy was the illegitimate son of a roman soldier who, bitter at his parentage and roman conquest of his homeland became a terrorist and suffered death by crucifixion which was reserved under roman justice for traitors to rome.

Some time later when they were looking for a hero to base a book on, the antics of John the Baptist tied in with the memory of the guy who fought rome became the jesus of legend.

That's my story and im sticking to it

Wandering Monk

Playing devil's advocate, there is secular evidence that verify Jesus was a real person, such as the historical accounts of Jewish historian, Flavius Josephus (37-100 A.D.), and the historical accounts of Roman historian, Cornelius Tacitus (55-120 A.D.)

The Bible Says Jesus Was Real. What Other Proof Exists?

What is the historical evidence that Jesus Christ lived and died?

Josephus' account is questionable. The Arabic of Josephus' account about Jesus is less glowing.

Neuropteron

Hi,
Considering what historians have written, the fact that our calender is based on Jesus the influence of Jesus teaching on the world and that a major religion is based on him, Jesus not existing would be an even greater miracle than his existence could ever accomplish.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Josephus' account is questionable. The Arabic of Josephus' account about Jesus is less glowing.

And why is that? If you're going to make a claim like this, then please back it up with specific details. I don't immediately believe something someone else tells me on the internet just because they believe it and say it's true. I'd like to see some evidence.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Playing devil's advocate, there is secular evidence that verify Jesus was a real person, such as the historical accounts of Jewish historian, Flavius Josephus (37-100 A.D.), and the historical accounts of Roman historian, Cornelius Tacitus (55-120 A.D.)

The main Josephus account, Testimonium Flavianum was forged by a christian, it is not written by a romanised jew. The writing style is completely different from the rest of Josephus work

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
The main Josephus account, Testimonium Flavianum was forged by a christian, it is not written by a romanised jew. The writing style is completely different from the rest of Josephus work

Where did you hear this from? Once again, I'd like to see some evidence to verify these claims against Josephus' account of Jesus.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Where did you hear this from? Once again, I'd like to see some evidence to verify these claims against Josephus' account of Jesus.

Several history texts on the subject some 30 years ago while studying the fall of the roman Republic and rise of the empires at university.

You could try a search for

testimonium flavianum forgery

There are many academic documents on the subject

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Several history texts on the subject some 30 years ago while studying the fall of the roman Republic and rise of the empires at university.

You could try a search for

testimonium flavianum forgery

There are many academic documents on the subject

Thank you for the information, Christine. I appreciate it.

74x12

He's real. Loves you too.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

No. The historical references are directed squarely on the early Christians who are described as believing in a christ. Not christ himself.