• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus in the Temple, protesters in the street

sugnim

Many people know the story of Jesus cleansing the Temple by casting out the money changers in the book of Matthew. He went in very angry, threw over their tables, presumably scattering and/or damaging their belongings, and chased out people and animals with a whip. Recently, there have been protests in the US regarding the executive office. Some of the protesters have smashed windows and set things ablaze in their anger. These protester have been largely shunned by most people regardless of their political views. This brings to mind a few questions:

1. What is the difference between Jesus' actions toward the money changers and the protesters' actions toward the political eatablishment?

2. Is destruction of property an act of violence?

3. Is destruction of others' property ever justified?

4. Are the destructive protesters behaving in a Christ-like manner in any way?

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Jesus didn't wear a mask. I for one would like to know who the protestors are. It is very curious that their identities remain anonymous. You would think either CNN, Fox or The Donald would want people to know who they are. Some say, their identities aren't newsworthy, others say newspapers need interesting articles to sell news. So who wouldn't pick up a newspaper with the headline "Rioters Exposed"?

There really is no comparison to what Jesus was doing, As the Son of God fulfilling his Father, Gods' will, As the Lord of the Jews in the flesh, cleansing his own temple of corruption.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
Many people know the story of Jesus cleansing the Temple by casting out the money changers in the book of Matthew. He went in very angry, threw over their tables, presumably scattering and/or damaging their belongings, and chased out people and animals with a whip. Recently, there have been protests in the US regarding the executive office. Some of the protesters have smashed windows and set things ablaze in their anger. These protester have been largely shunned by most people regardless of their political views. This brings to mind a few questions:
1. What is the difference between Jesus' actions toward the money changers and the protesters' actions toward the political eatablishment?
Jesus was lashing out against the people who were actually causing the problem, and only those people. Protesters are smashing the windows of places like coffee shops and banks, places which have basically nothing to do with the current political state of the country. Oh, and the Joe Schmoe whose car they torched DEFINITELY didn't have anything to do with anything that President Trump said or did.

Yes.

It is if you're preventing them from harming or cheating others. Whether the courts will agree with that statement is a different question altogether.

People shouting "Not my president!" are basically just whining. Donald Trump IS their President, regardless of how utterly crappy he is as a president. You're free to hate absolutely anything and everything about him and his policies, just accept the fact that he's president. Jesus would say "Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's due."

Electus de Lumine

Magician of Light

1) One person claims divine moral authority and one claims mundane moral authority.

2) Yes.

3) Yes, but not in this case.

4) Yes.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

Obstructing the commute or destroying the property of those who have no involvement with the protesters' grievances is not at all "Christ-like" behavior.

Riders

No none of it is ok, I don't believe in protest violence although I am very offended by our leader too, Trump, violence isn't the answer.

To me when jesus turned over the money changer tables and everything you said VBTW that's not the only thing he did.

He also went into the temple on a donkey with his followers bowing down to him in a time they were performing some sort of a festival in the jewish temple.

He disrupted them and indicated that he was theyre savior, it was rebelius and evil. Jesus did some evil stuff, to me its against my religion to be Christian, because I don't think Jesus did the right thing in many situations.

Jesus was a rebel.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
... These protester have been largely shunned by most people regardless of their political views. This brings to mind a few questions:

1. One is a [possibly contrived story] and the second reflects civil unrest.
  2. Yes.
  3. Yes.
  4. That is not for me to say.

Jedster

Just a thought:
I am wondering what is wrong with people doing some business(money changing or other) in the Temple grounds. I am quite sure that many business deals are done when people meet in their places of worship, which also have their social side(and for many is the main reason for attending).
Seems to me in those days, with people travelling from other lands, that money changers were necessary and therefore doing a service.

roger1440

I do stuff
Just a thought:
I am wondering what is wrong with people doing some business(money changing or other) in the Temple grounds. I am quite sure that many business deals are done when people meet in their places of worship, which also have their social side(and for many is the main reason for attending).
Seems to me in those days, with people travelling from other lands, that money changers were necessary and therefore doing a service.
God’s house and its grounds is a house of prayer and worship. This story comes directly out of the Old Testament. Yes, “money changers” were necessary. The problem wasn’t what they were doing. The problem was where they were doing it at. When we chip at the sanctity of God’s house over time we end up with something other then what we had started with. The message of the story is that the sanctity of God’s house can not be compromised.

“Even those I will bring to My holy mountain And make them joyful in My house of prayer. Their burnt offerings and their sacrifices will be acceptable on My altar; For My house will be called a house of prayer for all the peoples."” (Isaiah 56:7)

"Has this house, which is called by My name, become a den of robbers in your sight? Behold, I, even I, have seen it," declares the LORD.” (Jeremiah 7:11)

Jedster

God’s house and its grounds is a house of prayer and worship. This story comes directly out of the Old Testament. Yes, “money changers” were necessary. The problem wasn’t what they were doing. The problem was where they were doing it at. When we chip at the sanctity of God’s house over time we end up with something other then what we had started with. The message of the story is that the sanctity of God’s house can not be compromised.

“Even those I will bring to My holy mountain And make them joyful in My house of prayer. Their burnt offerings and their sacrifices will be acceptable on My altar; For My house will be called a house of prayer for all the peoples."” (Isaiah 56:7)

"Has this house, which is called by My name, become a den of robbers in your sight? Behold, I, even I, have seen it," declares the LORD.” (Jeremiah 7:11)

Yes, scriptures are heavy stuff for those who haven't moved on with time.
For a God that's meant to be omni-most things including omni-present, where is God's house not?
Temples of all religions are meeting places for people.to gather.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Just a thought:
I don't think we have enough reliable information about what was going on at that time. Were the money changes cheating and acting unethically? We can't really know, but that is basically the accusation.

There is nothing inherently wrong with money changing (in my opinion) as long as it is done fairly and ethically, and the money changers take only what is fair payment for their service. And remember that the most common coin at that time would have had a graven image of Ceaser on it (render unto Ceaser what is Ceaser's). It is understandable that the Jews would not want coins like that brought into the holy place.

omega2xx

How sad that those who call themselves a church would question what Jesus did. However that is par for the course for your denomination.

1. Jesus did not destroy private property. Why is what you call the political establishmeet wrong and the rioters right?
2. Yes.
3. No.
4. No. Are you really trying to compare what Jesus did to what the rioters are doing? Are you trying to justify what the rioters did? It sounds like it.

Why don't you answer your own questions for us?

Riders

It doesn't matter if what the money changers did was wrong or not it doesn't excuse violence and rage. rage is wrong.

omega2xx

It doesn't matter if what the money changers did was wrong or not it doesn't excuse violence and rage. rage is wrong.

You are embellishing the story. It does not say or imply rage. Anger, yes but some things should make us angry.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Both were protests, and Jesus used a whip, so there is some similarity but there are also some differences.

Yes.

BTW, does anyone remember reading anything about the "Boston Tea Party"?

Rarely, but not in these cases.

Peaceful protests are, and the vast majority of the protests were just that, but the "destructive protesters" are not, imo.