• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus in Sikhism?

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I'm wondering if Sikhs have any views on Jesus such as he being enlightened? Is he mentioned in any Sikh scripture or literature?

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Those aren't exactly my questions, but I was thinking about making a thread similar to this. Thanks.

Treks

Dear Egyptian Phoenix and Sagetree jios

To my limited knowledge Jesus is not mentioned in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. I haven't often encountered Sikhs talking about him.

I can't speak for all Sikhs, but I think he would be viewed as a Sant, a holy person and a brilliant social reformer of his time.

Here's another Sikh's story with regard to Jesus and Christianity: http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/sikhism/people/jesus.shtml

Last edited:

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Thanks Treks.

That was a good reflection.
It didn't necessarily answer my question, but then, I'm not 100% sure what I'm asking :D
It was an enlightening read though and it has some inspiring quotes.

Treks

Well if you want to ponder out loud here or you figure out your questions feel free to ask. :)

GURSIKH

chardi kla
i feel Jesus was enlightened soul like Guru sahib,Buddha ,Mahavira,Shankracharya .. we disagree with the view that "he was the only Son of God " as we feel every soul is from supereme .

like Jesus was crucified ,Guru sahib was put on fire .

Treks ji , as brother Sage said link you provided is very informative .

Last edited:

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Thank you for the answers. Another question if I may :)

What exactly does the Sikh scripture say about the Bible and the Koran as texts? Are they seen as having been divine in origin?

Treks

You may gladly. :) You ask good questions. This one is a bit challenging though.

The Koran is mentioned in the SGGSJ. It's probably best if you search for yourself if you're so inclined at www.srigranth.org and putting your keyword in the search box - it searches English translation by default and will give you a list of the lines where the word appears - click on the 'View Shabad/Shalok/Pauri' link below the search result to read that specific hymn (rather than the whole page).

The Bible doesn't seem to be specifically mentioned in the original script, but Dr Sant Singh Khalsa (the translator) occasionally writes 'Bible and Koran' where the word 'Koran' appears alone or when it appears with another word which just means 'books'.

Generally Guruji says that if you're a hypocrite, or you don't understand the core of your religion and you're just going through the motions ritualistically, then it doesn't matter if you follow Hindu scriptures or Abrahamic ones - you're still on the wrong track. (obviously by extension this applies to Sikhs and SGGSJ too)

It's not usually a good idea to quote one line of Gurbani out of context but I can't resist in this case:

From ang (page) 1350:
Do not say that the Vedas, the Bible and the Koran are false. Those who do not contemplate them are false.

GURSIKH

chardi kla
Hi egyptian

word "Kateb"(kitab/book) is used to describe Abrahmic scripture .

[SIZE=+1]Simriṯ ma▫ulī si▫o kaṯeb. ||2||[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]The Simritees blossom forth, along with the Koran and the Bible. ||2||[/SIZE]

these are not discussed in detail .

Treks

Gursikh veerji

Is there any way to tell if 'kiteb' or 'kitaba' refers to Koran or Bible?

Thanks

chinu

chinu
we disagree with the view that "he was the only Son of God " as we feel every soul is from supereme .
Brother Gursikh ji,

At that time jesus was the only Son of God, and he never said that there cannot be anybody else, or anybody else in future like me.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
It's not usually a good idea to quote one line of Gurbani out of context but I can't resist in this case:

From ang (page) 1350:
Do not say that the Vedas, the Bible and the Koran are false. Those who do not contemplate them are false.

:clap

I think that is one of the most brilliant lines I've ever read. Those two sentences run so deep and say so much they themselves need to be contemplated to be fully appreciated and applied. That you took them "out of context" as you say, actually makes them more powerful, imo. :)

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
It's hard to say about 'Son of God', at the end of the day.

He may well have said it, but what was pass on and recorded was translated in the telling and writing...
Let alone historical context and translations adds... or takes away.

So much the religion about Jesus, more than the religion of Jesus.

For this reason contemplative Christian practices touch my spiritual sensibilities...
Jesus knew well the Scripture and how to speak about it, he prayed and spent time alone.

It's my personal opinion that the Logos, the Divine Word is bigger than Christianity as it is often portrayed.

What I've read about and read in SGGSJ has resonated with me.

Thanks Brothers and Sisters for engaging openly in this topic.

:namaste

Shalom aleichem

Satnaam

Conquer your mind
Guru Granth Sahib strongly believes that human birth is only possible with sexual union of father and mother. So Jesus as the begotten son of God is against Sikhi.

Rests for status of Jesus, he is not mentioned as an enlightened soul while other Saints preceding Sikhi were mentioned. Now this does not mean he was not enlightened, but he is in no way comparable to our infallible Guru Sahibaan.

Satnaam

Conquer your mind
Yes phenji:

Mil Maat Pita Pind Kamaiya, Tin Karte Lekh Lekhaya

Mother and father create a child through sexual union according to the Hukam (Cosmic Law) - biology of the reproduction of life.

Guru Nanak Sahib (989, Guru Granth sahib)

Maa Ki Rakt Pita Bid Dhaara, Moorat Soorat Kar Apaara.

The infinite Hukam (Cosmic Law) fashions human body with beautiful features from father's semen and mother’s blood (eggs).

Guru Nanak Sahib (1022, Guru Granth Sahib)

W3bcrowf3r

The Guru mentioned the Quran. The Quran says to believe in the Tora and the Gospel and uphold them, and it even said that the people of the Gospel should Judge with the Gospel!

But people do not do it. But that's not my problem. Every religion deviated from their Holy Scriptures.