• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus in an Indian Village

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Why would someone post a a debate question that has already debated to death in a joke thread?
Because to treat religion as deadly serious is automatically being deadly serious. God's sense of humor is everywhere. For example:

god_created_animals_02.jpg

Muffled

Jesus in me
An ex-Christian friend, who now admires Dharmic religions, told me a joke today:

"Jesus goes to an ancient Indian village instead of Jerusalem and says he's God. Instead of crucifying him, the villagers say, 'Congratulations! We're all God over here too.'"
I do not believe that is true.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Why would someone post a a debate question that has already debated to death in a joke thread?
I be
It's just a joke referring to the contrast between the mainstream Christian belief that he was and the more pantheistic concepts in some Dharmic religions.
I believe I can make up jokes although my humor tends to be droll.

Jesus, Mohammed, Krishna and the Baháʼu'lláh meet at a bar. They decide to discuss who is the greatest. So Jesus aks them if they can turn water into wine and they can't, then he asks if they can heal lepers and they can't, then he asks if they can restore sight to a man born blind and they can't. So Jesus says that is why I can claim to be God and you can only claim to be religious writers.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I be

I believe I can make up jokes although my humor tends to be droll.

Jesus, Mohammed, Krishna and the Baháʼu'lláh meet at a bar. They decide to discuss who is the greatest. So Jesus aks them if they can turn water into wine and they can't, then he asks if they can heal lepers and they can't, then he asks if they can restore sight to a man born blind and they can't. So Jesus says that is why I can claim to be God and you can only claim to be religious writers.
That's cute.

Tell me. What did Krishna write?

PureX

Veteran Member
I believe it was because someone asked Him who He is.
But that was not his response. Nor was it his 'teaching'. Nor was it the idealization of being "the Christ".

According to the story, Jesus was labeled and acted to fulfill the role of "the son of God". And in that culture, in that time, the son of a family-clan's patriarch was considered to be the living proxy of his father, the clan's patriarch. So much so that the word of the son was held to be equally binding as the word of the father, both within the family clan and within the community at large. So, as the "son of God" Jesus was meant to be taken to be speaking and acting as a proxy for God, Himself. NOT THAT HE WAS GOD. But that he was speaking and acting on God's behalf. He was the human embodiment of God's wisdom and will. And the stories of him performing various miracles were meant to reinforce that conferred authority.

The high priests at the time did not like this, of course, because it usurped their authority as God's human representatives among men, and they wanted it stopped. So they accused him of blasphemy; of claiming to be a god. And when they did, his enigmatic reply was, "you say that I am". Which was, of course, true.

A lot of Christians even today still don't understand this difference between being God's human proxy, and actually being God. We no longer live in a culture of patriarchal family-clans wherein the sons of the family patriarch are considered the human proxy of their father's word and will until they eventually take their rightful place as the clan patriarch.

I'm just sayin', Jesus wouldn't have said such a thing.