• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus has the same meaning as Emmanuel, and the name isn't Yoheshua

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Matthew 1:21

Matthew 1:23

The book of Matthew tells us directly, that the name Emmanuel, has the same meaning, as the name Jesus.

Why would a Bible Believer, trust faulty scholarship, and believe the theories, that Jesus's real name, is Yoheshua?
Yoheshua doesn't have the same meaning, as Emmanuel.

Orbit

I'm a planet
I think Jesus would say he doesn't care what you call him, but about the good works you do in his name.

sooda

Veteran Member
Matthew 1:21

Matthew 1:23

The book of Matthew tells us directly, that the name Emmanuel, has the same meaning, as the name Jesus.

Why would a Bible Believer, trust faulty scholarship, and believe the theories, that Jesus's real name, is Yoheshua?
Yoheshua doesn't have the same meaning, as Emmanuel.

Emmanuel means God is with us.

YeshuaRedeemed

Revelation 3:10
According to blueletterbible.org, Yeshua is the Hebrew word for Salvation, and Jesus is the Greek translation of that.

sooda

Veteran Member
According to blueletterbible.org, Yeshua is the Hebrew word for Salvation, and Jesus is the Greek translation of that.

That would make perfect sense because the Decapolis and the area around Galilee were Greek speaking cities.

tencit.gif

The Decapolis Ten Cities) was a group of ten cities on the eastern frontier of the Roman Empire in the southeastern Levant in the first centuries BC and AD.

The cities formed a group because of their language, culture, location, and political status, with each functioning as an autonomous city-state dependent on Rome.

The Decapolis was a center of Greek and Roman culture in a region which was otherwise populated by Semitic-speaking people (Nabataeans, Arameans, and Judeans).

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-10_10-55-42.png
    upload_2019-3-10_10-55-42.png
    149 bytes · Views: 0
  • upload_2019-3-10_10-55-42.jpeg
    upload_2019-3-10_10-55-42.jpeg
    11.4 KB · Views: 0
    6 KB · Views: 0
    6.9 KB · Views: 0

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
To me this doesn't match the gospels but it could be correct depending. We don't know everything. It may be interesting to look at Luke chapter 1 where John the Baptist is named 'John'. The parents are surprised about it for some reason, but they do it. Is that a Hebrew or a Greek name? I overhear someone say it is Hebrew for 'Dove', but I really do not know. I don't know why the name would be so important, so I tend to think it is symbolic or somehow describes John's ministry. The same passage indicates John will talk about the same things as Elijah or in some way work in the same area, and this seems also related to an account we have of a vision John has of the spirit descending onto Jesus as a dove.

Still, why would you name him 'Dove' just for that? It is outside of my modern experience. Its like naming your son 'Rainbow' because he will one day see a rainbow over the head of Jesus. It doesn't compute for me. Similarly why go to so much trouble to choose human names for Jesus? Its not as if its going to change who he is, is it? He's still going to be the same height and say the same things and do the same things. Why would the pronunciation matter to anybody so much?

Well it could matter because it sets life goals for them. John is supposed to in some way do the work of Elijah and something related to Doves or peace or something like that. Jesus name might also establish a goal for his life's work. Hence its fine to call him Emmanuel or Jesus or whatever you like. He already finished and passed on didn't he? He's not finished though, so which name now applies to his current work? That seems like the relevant one to be using, except that I am not Jewish and don't care that much about what I am named. My own name is somewhat arbitrary and doesn't outline my life goals.

Lets say that I die, and they make an obituary for me. Nobody will go on and on about the importance of my name. If I have it legally changed it won't matter.