1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Jesus' Four Failed Prophecies About Him Returning In The Lifetimes Of His Apostles

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by SeekingAllTruth, Feb 18, 2021.

1. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +22,641
    Religion:
    Atheist
    In the eyes of any honest person. You were shown to be wrong and now you are squirming and trying to find an out.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +22,641
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Do you not see how relying on the Bible as an example is inherently flawed?

smh

3. SeekingAllTruth

SeekingAllTruth Active Member

Ratings:
    +446
    Religion:
    agnostic deist
    Prayers don't work, period in the real world. But in the Christian universe they work, but only if you get the words exactly right the way God wants to hear them, and if you don't accidentally miscategorize them (did you see the laundry list of types of prayers someone posted here that God recognizes--was it 10). What if you kneeling, not standing when you pray, or if you raise your hands to heaven and not keep them clasped you get a better outcome, or are your eyes open or are they closed when you pray--that will affect God deciding whether or not to answer you, you know. When you look up to the sky are you daydreaming, or really concentrating on the prayer. Did you for even a moment think of whether you left the stove on when you walked out the door--that can tick God off too and make him even less likely to want to answer your prayer. I mean in the Christian universe so many things can go wrong when you pray--that's the likely reason your prayer didn't work. BUT NEVER FEAR--God does answer prayers!

• Like Like x 1
  4. SeekingAllTruth

Ratings:
    +446
    Religion:
    agnostic deist
    Actually the difference is more like using a antibiotic to cure a headache vs using an anticoagulant. Breaking news! Neither will do the job.

5. KenS

KenS Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,262
    Religion:
    Judeo/Christian
    Only in the recesses of your imagination and your misdiagnosis of what honesty is. Your inability to acknowledge simple realities, pertinent questions, applicable differences shows that it is just your biased views that drives your thought patterns.

6. KenS

KenS Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,262
    Religion:
    Judeo/Christian
    Do you realize that when a study is done within the context of Biblical prayer that in inherently includes the Bible? Or do you not understand the studies that we have been talking about.

7. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +22,641
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Please, you screwed up. You used a poor source. That source was refuted over thirty years ago. Your source was so poor that even Paul Harvey criticized it. To cover up your loss you are trying to play a game of "Heads I win, tails you lose". You won't fool anyone with that nonsense.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +22,641
    Religion:
    Atheist
    The Bible version worked only because "magic Jesus" said the words. That is pretty pathetic. You used your source improperly. As you used it it does not count since the Bible is the claim, it is not the evidence.

I could post a story about the FSM curing someone (though I could not since he does not interfere that way with his Noodly Appendates rAmen) or some other deity and claim that as "evidence".

The rules for medical evidence are basically the same as scientific evidence. That means that you do not have any evidence because you have to avoid one of the key requirements to have evidence in the first place.

• Like Like x 1
  9. KenS

KenS Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,262
    Religion:
    Judeo/Christian
    That doesn't help you any. Criticism is normal... all I have to do is read your posts. BUT, it doesn't change the reality of my points.

10. KenS

KenS Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,262
    Religion:
    Judeo/Christian
    LOL :D

Another two steps on "how not to address a subject lest I agree with a Theist".

Do you understand how studies are supposed to work?

I just LOVE your adjectives demonstrations of your bias... FSM, magic, pathetic et al... an overused exuse used by so many people. :)

11. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +22,641
    Religion:
    Atheist
    The reality of your posts is that they have been refuted because you have fallen to the level of using a version of a No True Scotsman fallacy. The sort of prayers were clear from the start. That a fair number of Christians praying "properly" was a clear conclusion since there was no attempt to exclude Christians. You failed to support your claim.

12. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +22,641
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Yes, I do understand how studies are supposed to work. You are once again accusing others of your flaws. And the only bias I have is against dishonesty.

It is possible to do a valid study of the efficacy of prayer. In fact it has been done several times. You just don't like the results. And I know that it rattles some unreasonable Christians when the term "magic" is used properly . That is not really a sign of bias. You might want to, as the liberals like to say, check your privilege.

13. SeekingAllTruth

Ratings:
    +446
    Religion:
    agnostic deist
    I think ken is just yanking your chain, Subduction. He's getting a good laugh out of all this, I'm sure.

14. metis

metis aged ecumenical anthropologist

Ratings:
    +15,773
    Religion:
    ecumenical & naturalistic Catholic
    I think prayer can especially be effective to the one doing the praying, namely to try and determine within ourselves what's truly important. Whether it changes anything else, I don't know, but I don't find any harm in trying.

But if prayer gets me off my arse so as to do that which is morally helpful, that's a "victory", imo.

15. samtonga43

samtonga43 Member

Ratings:
    +21
    Religion:
    Christian
    You miss my point.

16. KenS

KenS Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,262
    Religion:
    Judeo/Christian
    And yet it was so logically presented with a "prayer based" example. I bet you a dollar to a doughnut your refuted "prayer doesn't work" site didn't take those points into account. A flawed study where you had to admit I was right when I gave you the example of your prayer vs my prayer. (Which you so conveniently ingnored) :D

• Like Like x 1
  17. KenS

KenS Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,262
    Religion:
    Judeo/Christian
    The meditation prayer that you mentioned certainly is effective for that purpose. Reflecting and praying through those prayers as you meditate on the word is a great life-giving tool

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. samtonga43

samtonga43 Member

Ratings:
    +21
    Religion:
    Christian
    Before being drawn to Christ I used this kind of language also. I thought I was 'clever' and that Christians were deluded and weak-minded.

I see here the same arguments I myself used against Christianity and I feel hopeful. If God can turn me around then he can do the same with our atheist friends.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +22,641
    Religion:
    Atheist
    No, it wasn't. I do not think that you understand the concept of "logically".

And no, the admissions I gave were very qualified. They did not mean what you just claimed that they did. And no, I did not ignore your example. That is a falsehood. Go back and reread the post. You are reading selectively and incorrectly.

20. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +22,641
    Religion:
    Atheist
    All that believers need to do is to come up with honest and well thought out arguments. Pretending that the Bible does not fail at times only makes it less likely that anyone will be convinced.

How do you deal with the many failures of the Bible/