• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus Cursing The Fig Tree

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
Mark 11:12-14

And on the morrow, they having come forth from Bethany, he hungered, and having seen a fig-tree afar off having leaves, he came, if perhaps he shall find anything in it, and having come to it, he found nothing except leaves, for it was not a time of figs, and Jesus answering said to it, `No more from thee -- to the age -- may any eat fruit;' and his disciples were hearing.

Matthew 21:18-22 also..

What have you gathered from this?
Why would Jesus curse the fig tree?

..and are the underlined words, part of the explanation?

SCHIZO

First of all is the question, Why did Jesus curse the fig tree if it was not the right season for figs? The answer to this question can be determined by studying the characteristics of fig trees. The fruit of the fig tree generally appears before the leaves, and, because the fruit is green it blends in with the leaves right up until it is almost ripe. Therefore, when Jesus and His disciples saw from a distance that the tree had leaves, they would have expected it to also have fruit on it even though it was earlier in the season than what would be normal for a fig tree to be bearing fruit. Also, each tree would often produce two to three crops of figs each season. There would be an early crop in the spring followed by one or two later crops. In some parts of Israel, depending on climate and conditions, it was also possible that a tree might produce fruit ten out of twelve months. This also explains why Jesus and His disciples would be looking for fruit on the fig tree even if it was not in the main growing season. The fact that the tree already had leaves on it even though it was at a higher elevation around Jerusalem, and therefore would have been outside the normal season for figs, would have seemed to be a good indication that there would also be fruit on it.

Jesus cursed the tree because it would never bear fruit again.

Last edited:

Somerled32

Traveler~ 2B1ASK1
I was raised in a Christian house, and still have a great respect for Jesus, but this story always bothered me. In this story Jesus shows anger at an organism that has absolutely no control (that we know of) over its actions, I mean, it's just a tree, right? I understand Jesus' anger at the merchants in Solomon's temple, but to damn a plant because it didn't make something for him to eat....
To me it sounds a bit self-important.

Green Kepi

The fruit is like a picture of the obedience that the Jewish people should have shown to God. The leaves are like a picture of their religion. Their religion gave them false hope. The Jews had many religious rules and ceremonies as the tree had leaves. As Jesus looked for figs, He couldn't find any as God looked for good behavior and sincere worship - but He couldn't find it. Also, Jesus was using the fig tree to prophesize what would happen in 70 A.D....

peacecrusader888

Why did Jesus curse the fig tree? Because it does not have any fruit when it is supposed to have fruits. Just like us, if we are useless, then God will curse us to Hell. So let us be fruitful.

The cursing occurred a day after His triumphant entry into Jerusalem (Matthew 21:18-22; Mark 11:12-14). And it was just before Passover. Did you know that this occurred on Av 10, 3760 or July 28, 1 BC? Av or July is a summer month when figs have fruits.

Passover and the Feast of Unleavened Bread were moving through the seasons because they were in the lunar calendar (only 354 days in a year; not 365). The Israelites used also concurrently a lunisolar calendar similar to that used today.

Sleeppy

First of all is the question, Why did Jesus curse the fig tree if it was not the right season for figs? The answer to this question can be determined by studying the characteristics of fig trees. The fruit of the fig tree generally appears before the leaves, and, because the fruit is green it blends in with the leaves right up until it is almost ripe. Therefore, when Jesus and His disciples saw from a distance that the tree had leaves, they would have expected it to also have fruit on it even though it was earlier in the season than what would be normal for a fig tree to be bearing fruit. Also, each tree would often produce two to three crops of figs each season. There would be an early crop in the spring followed by one or two later crops. In some parts of Israel, depending on climate and conditions, it was also possible that a tree might produce fruit ten out of twelve months. This also explains why Jesus and His disciples would be looking for fruit on the fig tree even if it was not in the main growing season. The fact that the tree already had leaves on it even though it was at a higher elevation around Jerusalem, and therefore would have been outside the normal season for figs, would have seemed to be a good indication that there would also be fruit on it.

Jesus cursed the tree because it would never bear fruit again.

I understand what you've said. I read an article about this on the internet. I would be willing to accept this explanation but..

The scripture explains the lack of fruit with the season not yet being. Supposing that there are pre-season figs that grow, Jesus is still cursing something that doesn't have a choice of its own to produce. Why did He choose to curse it, instead of blessing it?

I was raised in a Christian house, and still have a great respect for Jesus, but this story always bothered me. In this story Jesus shows anger at an organism that has absolutely no control (that we know of) over its actions, I mean, it's just a tree, right? I understand Jesus' anger at the merchants in Solomon's temple, but to damn a plant because it didn't make something for him to eat....

I've had the same confusion. I made the thread thinking that perhaps we are more like this fig tree than we would originally suppose. While we say that the fig tree has no choice, perhaps the choice is the exact same that we have. God either nurtures our will as detailed in the Parable of the Fig Tree (Matt. 24:32) or curses it. I have another thread in the theology section titled 'Origins of Evil'. Perhaps what decides our will is actually curiousity and resulting disobedience.

The fruit is like a picture of the obedience that the Jewish people should have shown to God. The leaves are like a picture of their religion. Their religion gave them false hope. The Jews had many religious rules and ceremonies as the tree had leaves. As Jesus looked for figs, He couldn't find any as God looked for good behavior and sincere worship - but He couldn't find it. Also, Jesus was using the fig tree to prophesize what would happen in 70 A.D....

This makes sense. It just doesn't explain as far as my curiousity is.

Why did Jesus curse the fig tree? Because it does not have any fruit when it is supposed to have fruits. Just like us, if we are useless, then God will curse us to Hell. So let us be fruitful.

The cursing occurred a day after His triumphant entry into Jerusalem (Matthew 21:18-22; Mark 11:12-14). And it was just before Passover. Did you know that this occurred on Av 10, 3760 or July 28, 1 BC? Av or July is a summer month when figs have fruits.

Passover and the Feast of Unleavened Bread were moving through the seasons because they were in the lunar calendar (only 354 days in a year; not 365). The Israelites used also concurrently a lunisolar calendar similar to that used today.

Makes sense. Is it God who determines our usefulness or simply nurtures and/or curses it? or both?

SCHIZO

I understand what you've said. I read an article about this on the internet. I would be willing to accept this explanation but..

The scripture explains the lack of fruit with the season not yet being. Supposing that there are pre-season figs that grow, Jesus is still cursing something that doesn't have a choice of its own to produce. Why did He choose to curse it, instead of blessing it?

Jesus taught in Parables. The Fig tree represented Israel and its lack of fruit represented Israel's lack of work in faith (or what have you). The tree being cursed and then whithering up and dying was the foretelling of Israel's end.

Sleeppy

Jesus taught in Parables. The Fig tree represented Israel and its lack of fruit represented Israel's lack of work in faith (or what have you). The tree being cursed and then whithering up and dying was the foretelling of Israel's end.

What do you suppose about- "for it was not the season for figs." Why would they need to mention that, if there still would/should have been fruit to eat?

SCHIZO

What do you suppose about- "for it was not the season for figs." Why would they need to mention that, if there still would/should have been fruit to eat?

Well with Israel it was not its season to bear fruit either. Since Israel did not bear fruit in its season (when the leaves appeared), Israel (the fig tree) was destroyed. And this is exactly what happened with the Romans after Jesus' death. There are other parables that prophesy the end of Israel. The parable with the tenants and the vineyard in Matthew 21 is another (clear) example.

Last edited:

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member

Jesus gave many parables or illustrations which of course were in story form.
This time it would be a memorable object lesson for his followers.

There is the connection between the withering of the fig tree and the quality of faith. The nation of Israel [like that fig tree] had a deceptive appearance.

Remember that nation was in a covenant [contract] relationship with God,
and was only outwardly appearing to observe God's regulations.
So, the nation was proving to be really without true faith,
lacking genuine faith, or barren of good fruit.
Because of their bad fruit they rejected God's Son.
By Jesus causing the unproductive tree to wither, Jesus was vividly demonstrating what the end result would be for such a fruitless nation.
No one should eat such spiritually bad fruit anymore.

That withering tree provided a good object lesson for Jesus disciples with their need not to be fruitless, but to have faith in God.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member

Seems as if according to Mark [11v13] the tree already did have leaves on it.
Having leaves, and seen from a distance [afar off], could mean having fruit since fig trees were early. Jesus would be showing his disciples that the leaves [fruitless nation of Israel] were just giving a deceptive appearance as his disciples would see the following morning.

Mark 11:12-14 (NIV)
12 The next day as they were leaving Bethany, Jesus was hungry. 13 Seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to find out if it had any fruit. When he reached it, he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs. 14 Then he said to the tree, “May no one ever eat fruit from you again.” And his disciples heard him say it.

Matthew 21:18-22 (NIV)
18 Early in the morning, as Jesus was on his way back to the city, he was hungry. 19 Seeing a fig tree by the road, he went up to it but found nothing on it except leaves. Then he said to it, “May you never bear fruit again!” Immediately the tree withered.
20 When the disciples saw this, they were amazed. “How did the fig tree wither so quickly?” they asked.
21 Jesus replied, “Truly I tell you, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and it will be done. 22 If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.”

I believe this scripture is talking about false prophets. I think it can’t be talking about the Nation of Israel because over and over in the bible you read passages about how God promises to save Israel. Israel may be punished by God, but they are never forsaken. God always promises that he would save them.

I think the key to understanding this is:
Matthew 7:15-20 (NIV)
15 “Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. 16 By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? 17 Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.

Jesus is talking about False Prophets in Matthew 7:15-20 and says by their fruit you will recognize them. Good teachers (righteous) bear good fruit (The fruit are their students). Likewise Bad (false) teachers yield bad fruit. A student will only turn out the way their teacher guides them. A false prophet will teach untruth to their students and as such lead them astray.

Which is why Jesus says to the false prophet “May no one ever eat fruit from you again”. Meaning may you never teach lies and untruth again and thus yield bad fruit (bad students/bad disciples).

Then in Matthew 7:19 (NIV) Jesus says that the False Prophets will be thrown into the fire, meaning hell.

I think Mark 11:12-12 is explained this way:
13 Seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to find out if it had any fruit. (Meaning Jesus saw many prophets at his time, so he went to investigate their teaching)…… When he reached it, he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs……(meaning upon listening to the teaching of these prophets at the time he found empty teaching, not bearing any good results. They were teaching untruth, so their students were doing the same things they were, yielding no good fruit)…… because it was not the season for figs (So at the time of Jesus ministry he was to be the only one teaching! I mean think about it. God wanted people to listen to Jesus only, so God would not have sent another prophet at that time to also be teaching at the same time as Jesus. It was not the time for prophets. It was the time for Jesus alone. The prophets were sent BEFORE Jesus to prepare his way, like John the Baptist. All the Prophets pointed to Jesus. So this was NOT the time for Prophets.)

These false prophets were teaching untruth.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Mark 11:12-14 (NIV)
12 The next day as they were leaving Bethany, Jesus was hungry. 13 Seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to find out if it had any fruit. When he reached it, he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs. 14 Then he said to the tree, “May no one ever eat fruit from you again.” And his disciples heard him say it.
Matthew 21:18-22 (NIV)
18 Early in the morning, as Jesus was on his way back to the city, he was hungry. 19 Seeing a fig tree by the road, he went up to it but found nothing on it except leaves. Then he said to it, “May you never bear fruit again!” Immediately the tree withered.
20 When the disciples saw this, they were amazed. “How did the fig tree wither so quickly?” they asked.
21 Jesus replied, “Truly I tell you, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and it will be done. 22 If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.”
I believe this scripture is talking about false prophets. I think it can’t be talking about the Nation of Israel because over and over in the bible you read passages about how God promises to save Israel. Israel may be punished by God, but they are never forsaken. God always promises that he would save them.
I think the key to understanding this is:
Matthew 7:15-20 (NIV)
15 “Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. 16 By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? 17 Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.
Jesus is talking about False Prophets in Matthew 7:15-20 and says by their fruit you will recognize them. Good teachers (righteous) bear good fruit (The fruit are their students). Likewise Bad (false) teachers yield bad fruit. A student will only turn out the way their teacher guides them. A false prophet will teach untruth to their students and as such lead them astray.
Which is why Jesus says to the false prophet “May no one ever eat fruit from you again”. Meaning may you never teach lies and untruth again and thus yield bad fruit (bad students/bad disciples).
Then in Matthew 7:19 (NIV) Jesus says that the False Prophets will be thrown into the fire, meaning hell.
I think Mark 11:12-12 is explained this way:
13 Seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to find out if it had any fruit. (Meaning Jesus saw many prophets at his time, so he went to investigate their teaching)…… When he reached it, he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs……(meaning upon listening to the teaching of these prophets at the time he found empty teaching, not bearing any good results. They were teaching untruth, so their students were doing the same things they were, yielding no good fruit)…… because it was not the season for figs (So at the time of Jesus ministry he was to be the only one teaching! I mean think about it. God wanted people to listen to Jesus only, so God would not have sent another prophet at that time to also be teaching at the same time as Jesus. It was not the time for prophets. It was the time for Jesus alone. The prophets were sent BEFORE Jesus to prepare his way, like John the Baptist. All the Prophets pointed to Jesus. So this was NOT the time for Prophets.)
These false prophets were teaching untruth.

You're not alone about thinking about all Israel being saved meaning literal Israel. Do you recall at Matthew [23v38] that Jesus said the Jewish religious [house of worship] temple would be left desolate or abandoned ?

The religious leaders were held bloodguilty in Jesus eyes according to verse 35 all the way back to Abel [Rev 18v24]

Since Pentecost the Israel of God [Gal 6v16;Acts 15v14] was No longer the literal nation of Israel, but now the Christian congregation would be the Israel of God or the all spiritual Israel would be saved.
Please notice [1st Peter 2 vs4,5,9]
There it is described as a holy nation a spiritual religious house of worship with now spiritual sacrifices. Whereas the Israel of today exists as a national group.

At Galatians [4v26] the Jerusalem mentioned there is not earthly Jerusalem but now heavenly Jerusalem or Jerusalem above.

What Scripture put literal fire in the biblical hell [sheol] ?

Was Jesus in fire while he was in hell ? ______Acts 2vs27,31,32; Psalm 16v10

Before Jesus died he likened the Bible's hell [sheol] to being in an unconscious sleep-like state at John 11vs11-14.
Jesus would have gotten that sleeping-state idea from the Hebrew OT Scriptures such as: Psalms 6v5; 13v3; 115v17; 146v4
Besides King Solomon, known for his God-given wisdom, wrote at
Ecclesiastes [9v5] that the dead are Not conscious of anything.
So, the biblical hell [sheol] is just the common grave of dead mankind.

The biblical hell is temporary according to Revelation [20vs13,14]
After everybody in the Bible's hell is 'delivered up [resurrected]
then emptied-out hell is cast into second death.
Isn't the lake of fire the second death?.
The lake of fire aka second death then is not the Bible's hell but the English word hellfire comes from the word Gehenna.
Gehenna was just a garbage pit where things were destroyed not kept burning forever.

I assume that we should see more the hidden meaning of the story rather than Jesus committing injustice. I admit I have always wondered why he did that to the tree, as it seemed something pretty strange for him to do...

Um... I have one question... the story of the fig tree is stated as a fact? it's not just an example given by Jesus in the form of a story right?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I assume that we should see more the hidden meaning of the story rather than Jesus committing injustice. I admit I have always wondered why he did that to the tree, as it seemed something pretty strange for him to do...
Um... I have one question... the story of the fig tree is stated as a fact? it's not just an example given by Jesus in the form of a story right?

Yes, as an actual happening serving as a teaching for his apostles.
Jesus was talking 'privately' to his apostles.
Matthew [13v34] says Jesus talked in stories [illustrations/parables] directed to the 'public'.

Jesus indicated to his apostles that they would do the same as Jesus did to the fig tree. -Matt 21v21

Causing the tree to wither Jesus was providing them with an object lesson on the need to have faith in God.
So besides the tree withering there was a connection to their quality of having faith.
That nation of Israel had a deceptive appearance.
Outwardly they claimed to observe God's commands.
They proved, as Jesus showed, to be without faith, barren of good religious fruitage.
The unproductive tree was as that unproductive nation.

Matthew chapter 23; 21 vs19-27; Mark 11 vs19-33; Luke 20 vs1-8; Acts 3 vs12,15

Last edited: