• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus Christ Superstar

Ellen Brown

yep.....it's that time of year

get a copy.....enjoy

I liked the 1973 Version the best, the rest lack spirit to me. It was the thing that started me to thinking about eternity. Now, in retrospect, it feels like God has given up on us as a waste of time...

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I wore out a couple of LPs. :D

Unfortunately, I thought the movie sucked. Roman guards with automatic weapons and WWII helmets? Yeah, uh... no.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I wore out a couple of LPs. :D

Unfortunately, I thought the movie sucked. Roman guards with automatic weapons and WWII helmets? Yeah, uh... no.
That's what made the movie so awesome.
The creative way through symbolism by mixing the modern with the ancient.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
That's what made the movie so awesome.
The creative way through symbolism by mixing the modern with the ancient.

It was just a bit jarring to me. I'm used to sword and sandals, leather tunics, sweaty muscled... nevermind. :D

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
"Prove to me that you're no fool -- walk across my swimming pool.
Always loved that line.

Riders

My favorite song: Do they usually start putting on plays at the United Methodist church this time of year for Jesus Christ Super Star?They usually also do Godspell too right?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Yes .It wa slike a hippie thing
oh no.....it sent ripples in every direction

a PRIEST brought a copy to class
( I was attending an all boy catholic high school)

He played some of the choice items and wanted some knee jerk reaction

I saved my speech
and got a copy

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
"Prove to me that you're no fool -- walk across my swimming pool.
Always loved that line.

When I was in college the theater group put on a JCS performance. They were actually quite good. The one mishap was in one performance when the harness slipped and the guy playing Judas almost did die by hanging. :eek:

The guy who played King Herod camped it up to the max... bowler hat, shiny silver hot pants (this was the 70s, after all :D) and a Rockettes style leg kick.

Ellen Brown

When it first came out there was such a stink.. Christians raged against it as sacrilege.

I remember that. Not knowing anything about religion at the time, I didn't understand. In retrospect, satan had religiosity so steeped in vile doctrine and pomp that it was not accessible to the uninitiated. It was the thing that got me thinking about eternity though.

sooda

Veteran Member
I remember that. Not knowing anything about religion at the time, I didn't understand. In retrospect, satan had religiosity so steeped in vile doctrine and pomp that it was not accessible to the uninitiated. It was the thing that got me thinking about eternity though.

I thought they were ridiculous and I had thousands of hours of church and Sunday school before Jesus Christ Superstar. I loved it. Still do.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I remember the outcry that it was blasphemous! All the clutching of pearls in those days! :eek: