• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

jesus' childhood

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
I dunno, 37?

What is your take on the protoevangelium of Thomas Victor? I know the Catholic church accepts the protoevangelium of james as somewhat useful.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Halcyon said:
I dunno, 37?

What is your take on the protoevangelium of Thomas Victor? I know the Catholic church accepts the protoevangelium of james as somewhat useful.

I haven't read it. It's worth a further look.

Cordoba

Christians in Egypt (The Copts) have maintained the heritage from the years Jesus, peace be upon him, and his mother were in Egypt.

The route they took is well known, starting from Sinai, to the Delta Nile in Northern Egypt, to Maadi south of Cairo, then further south.

These are the details of the trip in Egypt, if of interest:

http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2001/565/tr1.htm

Super Universe

Defender of God
The information is available. The Urantia Book tells the complete life of Jesus from birth until the end that we all know so well.

Jesus had many brothers and sisters who wrote books about Him. Why did the religious leaders exclude all of this from their bible?

Because they did not wish to publish that Jesus, even as a young child, questioned religious leaders. He debated the religious scholars. He asked questions.

It's all about power. The religious leaders wanted, and still want, people to go through them to find God.

They want us to see them as the only way to salvation.

Power.

Smoke

Done here.
Bick said:
The writers of the "Gospels" were eye witnesses concerning Jesus last days.
Well, we really don't know that. We don't even know who wrote the Gospels in the first place. None of the authors identifies himself by name. The fourth gospel is the only one that claims to have been written by an eyewitness, and that claim -- "This is the disciple which testifieth of these things, and wrote these things: and we know that his testimony is true" -- was clearly added by a person other than the author.

Smoke

Done here.
Super Universe said:
The information is available. The Urantia Book tells the complete life of Jesus from birth until the end that we all know so well.
If I don't believe Luke or the infancy gospels, why on earth would I believe the Urantia Book? :confused:

logician

Since the supposed Jesus was made up for the purpose of creating a "literal" Christ, making up a childhood for him was superfluous.

Booko

Deviled Hen
logician said:
Since the supposed Jesus was made up for the purpose of creating a "literal" Christ, making up a childhood for him was superfluous.

And the evidence for this is.....

logician

That except for the impossible tale of the 12 year old Jesus in the temple, there is no childhood of the supposed Jesus.

lunamoth

Will to love
logician said:
That except for the impossible tale of the 12 year old Jesus in the temple, there is no childhood of the supposed Jesus.

Au contraire:

21On the eighth day, when it was time to circumcise him, he was named Jesus, the name the angel had given him before he had been conceived.
22When the time of their purification according to the Law of Moses had been completed, Joseph and Mary took him to Jerusalem to present him to the Lord 23(as it is written in the Law of the Lord, "Every firstborn male is to be consecrated to the Lord"[b]), 24and to offer a sacrifice in keeping with what is said in the Law of the Lord: "a pair of doves or two young pigeons."[c]
25Now there was a man in Jerusalem called Simeon, who was righteous and devout. He was waiting for the consolation of Israel, and the Holy Spirit was upon him. 26It had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he would not die before he had seen the Lord's Christ. 27Moved by the Spirit, he went into the temple courts. When the parents brought in the child Jesus to do for him what the custom of the Law required, 28Simeon took him in his arms and praised God, saying:
29"Sovereign Lord, as you have promised,
you now dismiss[d] your servant in peace.
30For my eyes have seen your salvation,
31which you have prepared in the sight of all people,
32a light for revelation to the Gentiles
and for glory to your people Israel."
33The child's father and mother marveled at what was said about him. 34Then Simeon blessed them and said to Mary, his mother: "This child is destined to cause the falling and rising of many in Israel, and to be a sign that will be spoken against, 35so that the thoughts of many hearts will be revealed. And a sword will pierce your own soul too."

Luke 2

Smoke

Done here.
logician said:
I don't know of any authentic stories of the childhood of Boudicca or Athelstan, but it would be foolhardy to construe that as evidence that neither existed.

Super Universe

Defender of God
logician said:

There is 100 times more proof that Jesus lived than you.

reyjamiei

Bick said:
The writers of the "Gospels" were eye witnesses concerning Jesus last days. Matt.27:26 reads, "...and when he had scourged Jesus, he delivered Him to be crucified". And in 27:29-30, concerning the soldiers, "And when they had platted a crown of thorns, they put it upon His head, and a reed in His right hand: and they bowed the knee before Him, and mocked Him, saying, ' Hail, King of the Jews! And they spit upon Him, and took the reed and smote Him on the head."

Mark's account is basically the same as Mattew's.

Luke's account is also the same as Mattew's except, in 22:64 it reads, "And when they had blindfolded Him, they struck Him on the face, and asked Him saying, ' Prophecy, who is it that smote Thee?"

John's account is essentially the same as the others.

Very little is written about Jesus childhood. IMO, God was interested in His adult life and ministry be recorded, more than HIs years up till He started His ministry.

Bick

The Gospels may or may not have been written by eye witnesses to the events. But the earliest Gospel (Mark) was written about 50 years after Jesus was crucified and the latest Gospel (John) was written about 70-80 years after Jesus was crucified, so even if they were eye witnesses, it would be doubtful that they would write an accurate account of the events.

reyjamiei

MidnightBlue said:
If I don't believe Luke or the infancy gospels, why on earth would I believe the Urantia Book? :confused:

Then why would you believe a book written by anyone else? If there were evidence, you wouldn't believe it.

reyjamiei

logician said:

There's no evidence that Jesus was a made up person. Christians were and are called Christian for a reason, they follow someone they believe to be the Christ. Why is it so hard to believe that Jesus could have existed? There are no references in any contemporary historical writings that says Jesus was a made up person to further the new "Christian" religion.

reyjamiei

logician said:

If that's your evidence for the non-existence of Jesus, it's very poor evidence.

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
bradleykavin said:
i have never read or heard of anything about his childhood. was he raised always being told he was the messiah, or did he later believe he discovered it?
It is true that there is less written about his childhood, than about the rest of his life. If this is a crutch to you, then I am sorry. You have to remember that those who wrote about Him in the gospels did not know Him until the beginning of His ministry. The stories told about Him were probably ones heard from His parents or brothers, and were then copied down into the text. The same way that we may tell stories to each other about our childhoods, and then perhaps write them down later. It is human nature for friends to share stories with each other about the good times that they had or the important moments of their life when they were growing up. I think that this is more of the case concerning the writers of the gospels. I think it credible and reasonable that some stories are told, but not a full biography of His childhood. In fact, I would be more skeptical of someone who wrote claiming the entire childhood story of Jesus, when they never personally knew him.

Smoke

Done here.
reyjamiei said:
Then why would you believe a book written by anyone else? If there were evidence, you wouldn't believe it.
Credibility is the issue. We have no credible sources for the childhood of Jesus. It doesn't follow that I wouldn't believe the evidence if there were any.