• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

jesus' childhood

i have never read or heard of anything about his childhood. was he raised always being told he was the messiah, or did he later believe he discovered it? also, i read a post about jesus and what he endured. whippings, crown of thorns, carrying the cross, and so on. Are we for sure all of those things even happend? did jesus ever protest to the idea of being crusified or did he embrace it?

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
bradleykavin said:
i have never read or heard of anything about his childhood.
was he raised always being told he was the messiah, or did he later believe he discovered it?
Follow this link --> Infancy Gospel of Thomas. It describes Jesus's childhood. As with all biographical scriptures of Jesus, take it with a pinch of salt.

bradleykavin said:
also, i read a post about jesus and what he endured. whippings, crown of thorns, carrying the cross, and so on. Are we for sure all of those things even happend?
No. We only have the gospel accounts, some of which conflict about whether he carried the cross or a man named Simon carried it for him. Each of the four gospels give slightly different accounts of what happened and how, but they all agree that Jesus was first flogged and then crucified.

bradleykavin said:
did jesus ever protest to the idea of being crusified or did he embrace it?
He protested in the Garden of Gethsemane;
Luke 22:42-44 said:
"Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done." An angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him. And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground

And again on the cross;
Mark 15:33-34 said:
At the sixth hour darkness came over the whole land until the ninth hour. And at the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?"—which means, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"[
Although this is a direct quote from Psalm 22. I personally find it unlikely that a dying man would be lucid enough to quote scripture like this, but that's just my opinion.

Bick

The writers of the "Gospels" were eye witnesses concerning Jesus last days. Matt.27:26 reads, "...and when he had scourged Jesus, he delivered Him to be crucified". And in 27:29-30, concerning the soldiers, "And when they had platted a crown of thorns, they put it upon His head, and a reed in His right hand: and they bowed the knee before Him, and mocked Him, saying, ' Hail, King of the Jews! And they spit upon Him, and took the reed and smote Him on the head."

Mark's account is basically the same as Mattew's.

Luke's account is also the same as Mattew's except, in 22:64 it reads, "And when they had blindfolded Him, they struck Him on the face, and asked Him saying, ' Prophecy, who is it that smote Thee?"

John's account is essentially the same as the others.

Very little is written about Jesus childhood. IMO, God was interested in His adult life and ministry be recorded, more than HIs years up till He started His ministry.

Bick

because it wouild make sense to me to believe, if jesus was infact impregnated by god, than she would of immediately claimed this prior to jesus' birth. if infact, she claimed this after jesus claimed to be the messiah, it would seem more propoganda than actual fact. if god told me my son was the messiah prior to his birth, i would of immediately (back then) told people...if my son at age 20 claims to be the messiah, it would seem more of a lie for me to THEN claim his divinity as opposed to claiming it the second i am aware of it....

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
bradleykavin said:
because it wouild make sense to me to believe, if jesus was infact impregnated by god, than she would of immediately claimed this prior to jesus' birth.
Well for starters, Jesus was not impregnated by anyone. :D

Booko

Deviled Hen
bradleykavin said:
because it wouild make sense to me to believe, if jesus was infact impregnated by god, than she would of immediately claimed this prior to jesus' birth.

Uh...I think you meant *Mary*.

Linus

Halcyon said:
Follow this link --> Infancy Gospel of Thomas. It describes Jesus's childhood. As with all biographical scriptures of Jesus, take it with a pinch of salt.

I'd have to take that "gospel" with a dose of tylenol. You don't really believe those stories accurately describe Jesus' childhood, do you?

Mystic-als

Linus said:
I'd have to take that "gospel" with a dose of tylenol. You don't really believe those stories accurately describe Jesus' childhood, do you?
You don't really believe the bible stories acuratly describe Jesus, do you?

P.S - I don't

Cordoba

To my knowledge, Jesus, peace be upon him, went to Egypt with his mother Mary for safety during the first years of his life.

A

angellous_evangellous

bradleykavin said:
i have never read or heard of anything about his childhood. was he raised always being told he was the messiah, or did he later believe he discovered it?

In the immortal words of Captain Ron,

"Nobody knows."

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I like the story where he went with his uncle (who was a tinsmith) to England, to procure tin from the mines near Glastonbury.

Booko

Deviled Hen
sojourner said:
I like the story where he went with his uncle (who was a tinsmith) to England, to procure tin from the mines near Glastonbury.

Please just don't say "mattress" or I will have to put a bag on my head, stand in the tea chest, and sing hymn about the events in Jesus' life concerning tin procurement. :eek:

P.S. Blake is still dead.

john313

warrior-poet
bradleykavin said:
if infact, she claimed this after jesus claimed to be the messiah, it would seem more propoganda than actual fact. if god told me my son was the messiah prior to his birth, i would of immediately (back then) told people...if my son at age 20 claims to be the messiah, it would seem more of a lie for me to THEN claim his divinity as opposed to claiming it the second i am aware of it....

back then, it would be like today concerning the messiah. he would be harder to protect as a child. the "enemies" of such a person are typically quite powerful on earth and they would have been trying to kill him from an early age. his identity needed to be hidden, which is why he went to egypt. this is where he learned a lot about how to be a healer. he had a concubine/mutah that he was unable to heal and she died, this was one of the driving forces that really made him want to learn more about healing.

peace

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Linus said:
No. Like i said, take it with a pinch of salt.

But of course, the infancy gospels are no less biographically authoritative than the canonical four, they're all fiction based on rumour, hear'say and belief.