• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

jesus as the original force user...

The Black Whirlwind

i have a catholic friend, and he usually says passages from the bible and othr things within it. he told me one time about jesuses awesome powers, like walking on water, healing people, killing them then bringing them back to life, etc (please tell me anymore if you know of any). now if you think about it, the force is used for healing, it can be used to drain you of all life, and can be used for levitation, and many other thing things. what are your inputs on this?

Master Vigil

I believe it can. But I don't believe jesus was the original. Since there are MANY who have done what jesus is said to do before him. There were pagan gods who walked on water, healed the sick, raised the dead, and was risen from the dead and all that stuff. So no, I don't think he was the original.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
md_88 said:
i have a catholic friend, and he usually says passages from the bible and othr things within it. he told me one time about jesuses awesome powers, like walking on water, healing people, killing them then bringing them back to life, etc (please tell me anymore if you know of any). now if you think about it, the force is used for healing, it can be used to drain you of all life, and can be used for levitation, and many other thing things. what are your inputs on this?
Hi md;
As Master Vigil has already said, there have been many who have done what jesus is said to have done, before Jesus, and since.
You talk about 'draining life' - which I don't like the sound of; I presume you are asking if the force could be used to do wrongdoings; I suppose the answer is yes. As with anything to do with our lives, we have the opportunity to do right or wrong. The choice is each individual's. No one else's.:)

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Wait, when did Jesus kill people? *worries* (And Jesus would not be the first. I believe it would have been Buddha.)

Master Vigil

I don't think it would have been buddha either. Many hindu yogis have performed miracles as well long before the buddha, so have many ancient shamans.

The Black Whirlwind

ok, thanks for your input. i dont really know much except that jesus did all that stuff. im not really familiar with anyone else doing it. :D

The Black Whirlwind

to respond to you michel, the force is both light and dark. draining life is of the dark side. its somewhat like yin and yang, draining life is dark, healing it is light. so on and so forth

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Obsessed by the force you are.

Within is where find it, you will.

Continue searching for it, you must.

Doc

Space Chief
I dont think Buddha was a force user either. He was a mind user and a thinker. I don't believe he really did any physical miracles that I am aware of.

A Jedi does not try. Either do or do not. There is no try...

Yerda

Veteran Member
Shzwing!! (that was a light-saber and not Wayne from Wayne's World saluting the fairer sex).

The Black Whirlwind

i do not deny i love the force. it is like how you love god, netdoc. unerring, unconditional. but would you call your love of god an obsession? so because i post things about the force i am now obsessed? all the christians post propaganda about god and abortion, so why shouldnt i have the right to post about the force and jesuses awesome force powers?

there is no emotion. there is peace.
there is no ignorance. there is knowledge.
there is no passion. there is serenity.
there is no death. there is the force.

Nick Soapdish

Secret Agent
There are many parallels between the ideas of The Force and modern religions. You have drawn some similarities between Jesus’s miracles and the powers possessed by the Jedi (although Jesus never killed anyone), but there are other similarities found in the teachings of Jesus and that of the Jedi.

The force has a strong concept of good and evil in the sense that the dark side of the force opposes the good side. By rejecting the good side, one is turned to the dark side. This is similar to the concept of falling from the grace of God (as what happened to Satan).

The thing I like about the Jedi is that they focus on tempering their emotions. Anger, fear, aggression. The Dark Side are they. Jesus has some very similar teachings. It is what is in your heart that is important, not what is perceived by your action.

Anyway, I prefer the concept of the force found in the first three movies. It was much more mystical. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together. The concept introduced in the new movies of metachlorions (sp?) is not at all appealing and has very little relationship to any modern religion. Also, what was up with Anakin not having a father? I am not sure how to interpret that considering that he is primarily a villain.

No*s

Captain Obvious
One thing that's interesting here is that Lucas was a Greek, and in many ways, he drew on Orthodox monastics to create the Jedi :).

Master Vigil

The idea of the force is more taoist than christian. Because as it is true that the good and dark sides were opposing, but they were also intermixed with each other. And it wasn't rejection of the good side that turned the person to the dark. There was no fall, only a switch of sides. Midichlorians are only the beings that helped a jedi know and understand the force. They weren't the force. It still surrounded them, penetrated them, and binded the galaxy together. He didn't have a father because he was fathered by the midichlorians. Just like when jesus was fathered by god. But you see, he was a villain, but since he was the one who killed the emperor, he was also a hero.

Master Vigil

No*s said:
One thing that's interesting here is that Lucas was a Greek, and in many ways, he drew on Orthodox monastics to create the Jedi :).
Actually, when you look at some of the old sketches he drew, you can see that he drew on zen monks and samurais to create the jedi. He copied their dress style, the samurai sword, the "code" of the jedi was from the bushido code. Even the force was very taoist and thus zen. But since I believe all religions to be very similar in nature, the orthodox monastics were probably much like the zen monks.

No*s

Captain Obvious
Master Vigil said:
Actually, when you look at some of the old sketches he drew, you can see that he drew on zen monks and samurais to create the jedi. He copied their dress style, the samurai sword, the "code" of the jedi was from the bushido code. Even the force was very taoist and thus zen. But since I believe all religions to be very similar in nature, the orthodox monastics were probably much like the zen monks.

I think Lucas admitted that he drew on many religious traditions. I knew one fellow who was able to interpret SW alongside Revelation :).

And yes, there are some points of similarity between our monastic traditons :). I read an article interpreting them in that light once...but I can't remember where it is. If I find it, I'll post it in this thread.

Master Vigil

He did draw on many. But I never heard of him using orthodox monks. Who knows. But I am sure he took alot from chinese and japanese spirituality and mythology to make the jedi though.