• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus as the only son of God?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
EnhanceSpirit, I may be being dense, but what does this have to do with the thread?:confused:

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
Melchizedek had no father or mother. He recieved tithes from Abraham. I would say that it appears Jesus was not the only one with heavenly ties. Actually I think this ties in with my beliefs of reincarnation. Jesus said he knew Abraham. Was Melchizedek another incarnation of Jesus, who is actually the spirit of Adam?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
EnhancedSpirit said:
Jesus said he knew Abraham. incarnation of Jesus, who is
I believe God is not limited by Time. So of course Jesus, as one with God, knew Abraham.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Blessed are the pure of heart they shall know their God.

may

EnhancedSpirit said:
Melchizedek had no father or mother. He recieved tithes from Abraham. I would say that it appears Jesus was not the only one with heavenly ties. Actually I think this ties in with my beliefs of reincarnation. Jesus said he knew Abraham. Was Melchizedek another incarnation of Jesus, who is actually the spirit of Adam?

Paul supplies us with added details about this covenant for a priest like Melchizedek. For example, he says that it was Jesus Christ who was "called by God a high priest according to the manner of Melchizedek." (Hebrews 5:4-10; 6:20; 7:17, 21, 22) Though Melchizedek obviously had human parents, there is no record of his genealogy. So rather than Jesus’ inheriting the office of priest according to a recorded lineage from Melchizedek, his appointment came directly from God. Jesus’ priesthood will not be passed to a successor, for "he remains a priest perpetually." This is so, for the benefits of his priestly service will be eternal. We can truly be blessed in having a priest who "is able also to save completely those who are approaching God through him" and to instruct and guide faithful ones eternally.—Hebrews 7:1-3, 15-17, 23-25.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
blueman said:
On several occasions Jesus used the term ego eimi of Himself as it can be used only of God. The clearest example is when the Jews said to Jesus: " You are not yet fifty years old, and have You seen Abraham? ' Jesus said to them 'Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I AM (Greek: ego eimi) . Therefore they picked up stones to throw at Him' ' (John 8:57-59). The Jews sought to kill Him for!he presumption of that claim to deity. The Old Testament was clear. The prescribed penalty for blasphemy was to be stoned to death (Leviticus 24:16) ...
Compare with ...
On several occasions Jesus used the term ego eimi of Himself as it can be used only of God. The clearest example is when the Jews said to Jesus: " You are not yet fifty years old, and have You seen Abraham? ' Jesus said to them 'Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I AM (Greek: ego eimi) . Therefore they picked up stones to throw at Him' ' (John 8:57-59). The Jews sought to kill Him for!he presumption of that claim to deity. The Old Testament was clear. The prescribed penalty for blasphemy was to be stoned to death (Leviticus 24:16) ...

[ see here ]
Plagiarism is unethical.

dan

orichalcum said:
It's my understanding that Jesus Christ was God's son, in whom God was well pleased. As apparently God pointed out during Jesus' baptism.

So.. since when was it said that Jesus was the only son of God? I thought that because we were created by God then we must all be the sons of God.

It appears that it was Jesus' followers who labelled him as the only son of God. Do any of you agree with this? That question is to Christians as well. I don't see any reason why not beleiving that Jesus is the only son of God can prohibit them from following Jesus' teachings, in other words, being a Christian.
Jesus is the only son of God both spiritually and physically. We are all created spiritually by God long before our birth, but a human father and a human mother create our physical bodies. Christ is the only person in our fallen world to be created physically by God the Father, thus He is the Only Begotten (physically) Son of God. When we enter into the baptismal covenant and receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost we are spiritually adopted by God the Son, or Christ (John 1:12). Paul points out several times that we are the offspring of God the Father, and by adoption, we can become the offspring of Christ.

dan

Terrywoodenpic said:
I believe God is not limited by Time. So of course Jesus, as one with God, knew Abraham.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Blessed are the pure of heart they shall know their God.
Christ knew Abraham because Christ was Jehovah before His physical birth. Before Abraham was I AM. The Greek is ego eimi, which is the same phrase used in Exodus when Jehovah said,"I AM that I AM." Of course this isn't the only piece of evidence. Every title used by Jehovah in the Old Testament is given to Christ in the New. There are a plethora of others, but I'm not really up to the task right now.