• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus as the "King of the Jews"...An interesting perspective

MoFacta

I know it’s a long post but if you have an interest into a more historical study of the time of Jesus you might find this interesting:

If any of you have read, “The Hiram Key” or any such book on the academic and historical study of Religion, you may have encountered scholars which raise an interesting, if not grossly overlooked aspect of the crucifixion of Yehoshua ben Joseph (or his more commonly known title of Jesus Christ) and his fulfillment of the Jewish and resulting Christian prophecies of a Messiah.

Now, as many of you know, and as most of those in Judaism will tell you, it is prophesized in the Old Testament that a savior figure was expected through the line of David. Most of our understanding of the contemporary(1st, 2nd Century) and therefore more historical perception and interpretation of these prophecies was through the infamous Dead Sea and Nag Hammadi scrolls found in Qumran and Egypt, respectively. Among the ancient scrolls containing Jewish prophetic scripture was also included contemporary scripture written by those followers of the early Jerusalem Church (these scriptures were excluded from the official compilation of the Holy Bible in 325 AD at the Coucil of Nicea and subsequentially burned). These manuscripts are very important as they are our oldest and therefore closest link we have to envision what the expectation was for a “Messiah” at the time of Jesus the Christ and to understand how it is linked to Jesus.

In order to get a fuller understanding of this, it is necessary to understand the name of the man we so unassumingly call Jesus Christ. No body can say for sure what he was named at birth but what scholars can agree on was that he was probably called, as mentioned before, Yehoshua ben Joseph (It was common to add your earthly fathers’ name as a post-fix). The name Yehoshua specifically means ‘Yahweh delivers’ and can be translated today as the name Joshua. The name Jesus is simply the Greek interpretation of Yehoshua but as interesting as this is, it becomes a triviality as we difinitive part of his name and root word of Christianity, Christ.

Christ, or Christos, is a Greek variation of the Jewish word for Messiah, which today - and any Christian will undoubtedly agree – is conceptually synonymous with, “the bringer of salvation by the redemption of sin.” The conflict here was that if we are to assume that Jesus was fulfilling this concept of a ‘Messiah’, he would incontestably be subject to the expectations of those expecting him at the time, namely, the Jews! The concept the Jews at the time of Jesus had of a messiah was more likely to be defined as, “he who will become rightful King of he Jews.” The Jews, in short, were waiting for a leader, a military, or kingly leader to save them from bondage (the Jewish peoples have been notoriously suppressed and persecuted for a VERY long time) and raise them to a powerful nation serving the ways of Yahweh, their God. Contrary to what modern Christians believe, there were no supernatural, magical connotations to this story at all as the prophecies were expected to serve the Jewish nation as a whole, not the individual seeking salvation. This is supported by lots and lots of evidence which would take more and more of your time to read but for the intents and purposes of the idea at hand it is sufficient to know the aforementioned points as it is at the very heart of the next matter and the whole core of this historical ramble.

The word ‘Messiah’ appears but twice in the official version of the Old Testament and not at all in the New Testament. This can be explained by the assumption that the Greek translators in the 3rd Century who converted the Bible from Hebrew to Greek simply replaced the word ‘Messiah’ with ‘Christos’ every time they came across it. This, combined with the above perspective, all puts a remarkable twist on the way we perceive the Bible, more specifically the Old Testament, and it’s authority within the Christian Church. This consideration of a Messiah-figure practically severs all ties Christianity has to Judaism and the Old Testament, and no doubt leaves Jewish Scholars with the all too familiar feeling that their holy scripture was hijacked to lend credence to some ‘Roman mystery cult’ in the first century. The central argument here and the most logical point to support all this is the fact that since Jesus was crucified before his time he was unsuccessful at fulfilling the ‘Messiah’ prophecy and therefore failed at becoming the ‘King of the Jews’! Astounding! And no doubt disturbing to most followers of Christianity, I’m sure.

I know I’m throwing some pretty heavy ideas out here and I apologize if I’ve offended anyone but I’m sure if you follow the logic of what I’ve told you (you can even check my facts if you like) you will find it at least ponderous. But I suppose that if Religion was logical it would defeat it's purpose and we’d all be in quite a state of confusion. So, in closing, take what you can from this little piece of information and believe what you must. That’s definitely what I intend to do.

Thanks for your time! Love and happiness for all of you!

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
MoFacta said:
The word ‘Messiah’ appears but twice in the official version of the Old Testament and not at all in the New Testament. This can be explained by the assumption that the Greek translators in the 3rd Century who converted the Bible from Hebrew to Greek simply replaced the word ‘Messiah’ with ‘Christos’ every time they came across it. This, combined with the above perspective, all puts a remarkable twist on the way we perceive the Bible, more specifically the Old Testament, and it’s authority within the Christian Church. This consideration of a Messiah-figure practically severs all ties Christianity has to Judaism and the Old Testament, and no doubt leaves Jewish Scholars with the all too familiar feeling that their holy scripture was hijacked to lend credence to some ‘Roman mystery cult’ in the first century. The central argument here and the most logical point to support all this is the fact that since Jesus was crucified before his time he was unsuccessful at fulfilling the ‘Messiah’ prophecy and therefore failed at becoming the ‘King of the Jews’! Astounding! And no doubt disturbing to most followers of Christianity, I’m sure.

Firstly, which third century? The Old Testament was translated from Hebrew to Greek between the 3rd and 1st centuries BC to form the Septuagint, which is still the OT of the Orthodox Church. The New Testament (with a couple of possible exceptions, though even these are far from certain) was originally written in Greek not Hebrew and hence required no translation. That's why you never find the word Messiah in the NT. The authors used Christos which is the exact Greek translation, both words meaning annointed.

What the Jews expected of their messiah is not likely to have any effect on Christian belief as we simply believe they were wrong to expect what they did. It's certainly not disturbing to me in the least.

James

may

MoFacta said:
I know it’s a long post but if you have an interest into a more historical study of the time of Jesus you might find this interesting:

If any of you have read, “The Hiram Key” or any such book on the academic and historical study of Religion, you may have encountered scholars which raise an interesting, if not grossly overlooked aspect of the crucifixion of Yehoshua ben Joseph (or his more commonly known title of Jesus Christ) and his fulfillment of the Jewish and resulting Christian prophecies of a Messiah.

Now, as many of you know, and as most of those in Judaism will tell you, it is prophesized in the Old Testament that a savior figure was expected through the line of David. Most of our understanding of the contemporary(1st, 2nd Century) and therefore more historical perception and interpretation of these prophecies was through the infamous Dead Sea and Nag Hammadi scrolls found in Qumran and Egypt, respectively. Among the ancient scrolls containing Jewish prophetic scripture was also included contemporary scripture written by those followers of the early Jerusalem Church (these scriptures were excluded from the official compilation of the Holy Bible in 325 AD at the Coucil of Nicea and subsequentially burned). These manuscripts are very important as they are our oldest and therefore closest link we have to envision what the expectation was for a “Messiah” at the time of Jesus the Christ and to understand how it is linked to Jesus.

In order to get a fuller understanding of this, it is necessary to understand the name of the man we so unassumingly call Jesus Christ. No body can say for sure what he was named at birth but what scholars can agree on was that he was probably called, as mentioned before, Yehoshua ben Joseph (It was common to add your earthly fathers’ name as a post-fix). The name Yehoshua specifically means ‘Yahweh delivers’ and can be translated today as the name Joshua. The name Jesus is simply the Greek interpretation of Yehoshua but as interesting as this is, it becomes a triviality as we difinitive part of his name and root word of Christianity, Christ.

Christ, or Christos, is a Greek variation of the Jewish word for Messiah, which today - and any Christian will undoubtedly agree – is conceptually synonymous with, “the bringer of salvation by the redemption of sin.” The conflict here was that if we are to assume that Jesus was fulfilling this concept of a ‘Messiah’, he would incontestably be subject to the expectations of those expecting him at the time, namely, the Jews! The concept the Jews at the time of Jesus had of a messiah was more likely to be defined as, “he who will become rightful King of he Jews.” The Jews, in short, were waiting for a leader, a military, or kingly leader to save them from bondage (the Jewish peoples have been notoriously suppressed and persecuted for a VERY long time) and raise them to a powerful nation serving the ways of Yahweh, their God. Contrary to what modern Christians believe, there were no supernatural, magical connotations to this story at all as the prophecies were expected to serve the Jewish nation as a whole, not the individual seeking salvation. This is supported by lots and lots of evidence which would take more and more of your time to read but for the intents and purposes of the idea at hand it is sufficient to know the aforementioned points as it is at the very heart of the next matter and the whole core of this historical ramble.

I know I’m throwing some pretty heavy ideas out here and I apologize if I’ve offended anyone but I’m sure if you follow the logic of what I’ve told you (you can even check my facts if you like) you will find it at least ponderous. But I suppose that if Religion was logical it would defeat it's purpose and we’d all be in quite a state of confusion. So, in closing, take what you can from this little piece of information and believe what you must. That’s definitely what I intend to do.

Thanks for your time! Love and happiness for all of you!
Gods son Jesus christ has now been made king in the heavenly kingdom goverment Daniel 2;44 Daniel 7;13-14 this was in line with bible prophecy and chronology, Jesus was the rightful heir to the throne ,and the appointed times of the nations (end of the gentile times)ended in 1914 this was when the kingdom was born in the heavens and Jesus was given the kingship. so 1914 was the start of the last days, the last days being the last days of man ruling himself independant of God. soon this king Jesus christ will put an end to manmade rulerships and Gods kingdom will last forever. Jesus plays a very big part in the out working of his fathers puropse for the earth , and it is all happening in this time of the end.Jesus may have been put to death but it was for a purpose, and Gods purpose will be fullfilled.

Muslims beleive the Messiah prophesy is yet to be fulfilled.

In Islam it's beleived the Al-Mahdi will become the King of the Jews, aswell as the
leader of the Muslims.

He will reveal to them the lost ark of the covenant, following in the footsteps
of Prophet Saul(pbuh). Revealing the orignal torah, that was placed in the ark.

Jesus(pbuh) will also return, soon after the Mahdi's arrival, and lead the world in to a better age, a kingdom of God (on Earth).

may

universal_brother said:
Muslims beleive the Messiah prophesy is yet to be fulfilled.

In Islam it's beleived the Al-Mahdi will become the King of the Jews, aswell as the
leader of the Muslims.

He will reveal to them the lost ark of the covenant, following in the footsteps
of Prophet Saul(pbuh). Revealing the orignal torah, that was placed in the ark.

Jesus(pbuh) will also return, soon after the Mahdi's arrival, and lead the world in to a better age, a kingdom of God (on Earth).
bible prophecy is now well along in this time of the end.bible prophecy has in the past come true , and is right now undergoing fullfillment . and very soon now all false religion will come to its end.there is no stopping bible prophecy. no one can stop Gods purpose from being accomplished it will come true. bible prophecy is now well along in this time of the end .thrilling times indeed.

Dinner123

Messiah means anointed. So there are many scriptures about the "anointed" of God in the old Testament. And it does appear in the new Testament. "Messias" in John 1:41 and John 4:25.

Christos simply means the same thing. "anointed" If we translated Christos and Messiah literally we would just have that word in English. "anointed" or "anointed one".

Jesus very often spoke of the "coming of the Son of man" while He was there. (for example Luke 18:8) So it was never a secret that there would be another coming of the Messiah. He even spoke of the ascension in John 3:13. "And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven."

His going away and coming a 2nd time was what He taught while here.

I agree that He was not what the Jews expected. They were looking for Solomon/David rolled into one. An earthly king of great wisdom a prophet perhaps and someone who would save them from the gentiles with maybe wars and conquest. But, the Messiah God had in mind of course was one that was spiritual. one who says "my kingdom is not of this world". And the proof for this Messiah in the old Testament scriptures is certain.

heksesang

The Jews expected an earthly king. Something like David. Someone who would drive out the Romans by force. Someone who would create an earthly kingdom of God in the form of a restored Israel. Jesus knew that, and he also knew that was what they expected from him when he claimed to be Son of God.
But thew Jews did not realize that the kingdom of God isn't an earthly kingdom - it's a world where everyone cares for one another, where no one causes suffering upon one another. Jesus planted the seeds for that in a few, so that they would spread and one day the seeds will fully bloom.

So no, Jesus did not fail as a messiah, the fact that such a majority of the world believes in his message is a testament to his success.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Jesus may have been king of the christians but he was never king of the jews.

.... and why did Jesus decline offered political office ( king ) according to John 6:15? So, Jesus could have been a literal king of the Jews, but that was Not his purpose in coming.

Please keep in mind that since Pentecost that was the start for ' spiritual ' Jews - Romans 2:28-29
God's fleshly nation with its religious ' house of worship ' was abandoned by God - Matthew 23:38
Jerusalem ' above ' is Now mother - Galatians 4:26
So, the ' Israel of God ' of Galatians 6:16 is Not natural fleshly Israel, but ' spiritual ' Israel - 1 Peter 2:9; 1 Peter 2:5
Modern Israel today exists, by the Grace of God, as a national group, meaning that like other countries natural Jews can also become spiritual Jews or Christians.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Jesus may have been king of the christians but he was never king of the jews.

Jesus was a/the direct descendant of David through both Mary and Joseph. Joseph could have also been anointed the King of the Jewish people. David was promised a descendant who would rule forever as an eternal king.

.... and why did Jesus decline offered political office ( king ) according to John 6:15? So, Jesus could have been a literal king of the Jews, but that was Not his purpose in coming.

Please keep in mind that since Pentecost that was the start for ' spiritual ' Jews - Romans 2:28-29
God's fleshly nation with its religious ' house of worship ' was abandoned by God - Matthew 23:38
Jerusalem ' above ' is Now mother - Galatians 4:26
So, the ' Israel of God ' of Galatians 6:16 is Not natural fleshly Israel, but ' spiritual ' Israel - 1 Peter 2:9; 1 Peter 2:5
Modern Israel today exists, by the Grace of God, as a national group, meaning that like other countries natural Jews can also become spiritual Jews or Christians.
First off, Jesus is the King of kings. Meaning there are no other higher-ups. Jesus is the thistles. He is found in the winds. His lightning and thunder speaks. It says God strikes. 'What lights?' God also made how many stars? All are suns? You mean there could be the creation of much newer planets? Oh what disappears?

Pure ignorance does. The whole book contains scientific facts. It starts with the heavens. There are lesser angels. Some are good and some are bad ones. That is how hell starts. They are just the Devil's very own agents. They are all communists. Most are heretics. They have been plunging their own stocked markets.

He can be a King to all of those whom he wants. Who he does not want he strangles. He will arrange all of their shooters. He will murder all assassins. They will all be telling their very own stories. That is because none of them were ever set up to be good for anything but trusts. That is they all want to be made targets.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
First off, Jesus is the King of kings. Meaning there are no other higher-ups. Jesus is the thistles. He is found in the winds. His lightning and thunder speaks. It says God strikes. 'What lights?' God also made how many stars? All are suns? You mean there could be the creation of much newer planets? Oh what disappears?
Pure ignorance does. The whole book contains scientific facts. It starts with the heavens. There are lesser angels. Some are good and some are bad ones. That is how hell starts. They are just the Devil's very own agents. They are all communists. Most are heretics. They have been plunging their own stocked markets.

Please note that according to Revelation 12:7-9 now there are N0 longer lesser angels (aka bad angels ) in the heavens.
To which hell are you referring ? The Bible's hell, or the non-biblical hell ? _______
Do you know of anyone righteous who goes to hell ? ______
According to Acts 2:27 the day righteous Jesus died he went to biblical hell.
If biblical hell was a permanent place then Jesus would still be in biblical hell.
Since Jesus taught from the old Hebrew Scriptures, then Jesus believed that the Bible's hell is simply 'mankind's temporary grave' for the sleeping dead:
- John 11:12-14; Psalms 115:17; Psalms 146:4; Daniel 12:2; Daniel 12:13; Ecclesiastes 9:5
Biblical hell had its start when Eden ended. Jesus now has the keys to unlock the temporary Bible's hell ( Revelation 1:18 ) and will resurrect the dead.
As far as the Devil and his agents, Jesus will destroy Satan ( and his agents ) - Hebrews 2:14 B.
Under Christ's coming 1,000-year reign over Earth, mankind will see the return of the Genesis ' tree of life ' for the healing of earth's nations - Revelation 22:2