• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus as a name

ThirtyThree

Christians continue to inform me regarding the "power" behind the name of Jesus, who they claim is their lord and saviour, who was crucified for their sins and so on. My question is, who is this "Jesus"?

I know of a Yeshua, (there is no letter J in Hebrew) which would translate into Joshua in English, not Jesus. Why do you Christians keep calling the being you claim to be your messiah as Jesus? Where does this name come from?

Also, why was Yeshua's name not Emmanuel?

Subhankar Zac

Hare Krishna,Hare Krishna,
I like the name though. :)
Not a Christian but I'd name my kid after this, irrespective of gender.
It is believed that Jesus died between the ages of 80-120 and is buried at the Rozabaal tomb in srinagar.

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
Is your name a particular word? Or is a name what you are called by? I cannot think of any deity who bears only one name. If the Christian reinterpretation of the Hebrew Scriptures is valid, Jesus himself was called Emmanuel long before his birth.

I do think that Bible readers miss out on an important nuance if they do not notice the connection to the older hero Joshua, inherent in Jesus' name. But that to me is a minor quibble. I do not think Jesus would be particularly upset about being having his name pronounced funny by well-meaning foreigners, and I can think of no good reason for his followers to be upset about it either.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
If my memory is correct, "Jesus" is a slang version of "Joshua", but I ain't anywhere near being a Hebrew scholar.

ThirtyThree

Is your name a particular word? Or is a name what you are called by? I cannot think of any deity who bears only one name.

I do think that Bible readers miss out on an important nuance if they do not notice the connection to the older hero Joshua, inherent in Jesus' name. But that to me is a minor quibble. I do not think Jesus would be particularly upset about being having his name pronounced funny by foreigners, and I can think of no good reason for his followers to be upset about it either.

I did not ask for a cop out, I asked to know where Christians come up with the name "Jesus" from? It seems rather ridiculous for them to call this being a name even his own mother never called him? Also, I do not consider this being they worship to be a deity and neither do the majority of Jews.

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
I did not ask for a cop out, I asked to know where Christians come up with the name "Jesus" from? It seems rather ridiculous for them to call this being a name even his own mother never called him? Also, I do not consider this being they worship to be a deity and neither do the majority of Jews.
Oh, you want the actual history! Basically, it is an Anglicization of a Latinization of a Hellenization of an originally Hebrew name. Wiki has an adequate summary. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_(name)

I do not know what you mean by cop out, that is my real opinion; it really does seem like a kind of tiny thing to be upset about. I note that there are several Christian sects who insist on using Yeshua or Yashua.

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
Yeshua is Jesus in English? Why do they not just call him Joshuah?
As noted, it went through Greek and Latin first. Sort of a game of telephone. You could call him Joshua, but no one would know who you were talking about until you explained, which to me seems like it would rather defeat the purpose of names. Hence the question in my first response. Is a name a collection of particular syllables? Or is a name what you are called by?

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
I note that your profile names you a Luciferian. Should you not, by the same logic employed in this thread, refer to your own deity/thoughtform/etc as הֵילֵל ? Or a phonologically similar English name, such as "Hal" or "Helen"?

ThirtyThree

I note that your profile names you a Luciferian. Should you not, by the same logic employed in this thread, refer to your own deity/thoughtform/etc as הֵילֵל ? Or a phonologically similar English name, such as "Hal" or "Helen"?

Actually, I call Him many titles. I do not know His name. I also do not claim that "Lucifer" is His name.

Where do you get "Hal" and "Helen" from? "Haylel", meaning, "to shine"?

Last edited:

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
Actually, I call Him many titles. I do not know His name. I also do not claim that "Lucifer" is His name.

Where do you get "Hal" and "Helen" from? "Heilel", meaning, "the shining one"?
Tis the first citation in the Hebrew Scriptures, yes?

ThirtyThree

Tis the first citation in the Hebrew Scriptures, yes?
Genesis 3, verse 1:

וְהַנָּחָשׁ הָיָה עָרוּם מִכֹּל חַיַּת הַשָּׂדֶה אֲשֶׁר עָשָׂה יְהוָה אֱלֹהִים וַיֹּאמֶר אֶל־הָאִשָּׁה אַף כִּֽי־אָמַר אֱלֹהִים לֹא תֹֽאכְלוּ מִכֹּל עֵץ הַגָּֽן׃

"The serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?"

Nachash has two meanings that I know of, serpent and "shining one". Am I incorrect in this?

Is this the reference you refer to or are you addressing Haylel in Isaiah, chapter 14, verse 12?