• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus and Islam

RAYYAN

Proud Muslim
Honest question, not looking for debate:
Is this quote from the Quran the only reason Muslims believe this about Jesus?

there are more verses and Hadiths (sayings of the Prophet) about Jesus.
however, even if it is this one verse only, it would be enough for us because We believe that the Quran is the word of God, it is pure and unchanged word of God. so, it doesn't really matter if God told us about Jesus one or 1000 times.

First Baseman

Retired athlete
there are more verses and Hadiths (sayings of the Prophet) about Jesus.
however, even if it is this one verse only, it would be enough for us because We believe that the Quran is the word of God, it is pure and unchanged word of God. so, it doesn't really matter if God told us about Jesus one or 1000 times.

Thank you for answering the question.

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
My friend 'Smart Guy' recommended I start this thread in the Islam DIR. He said that Islam taught that Jesus was resurrected from the dead as we Christians believe, but that there was a difference in opinion as to the nature of that resurrection. I was not aware that I was allowed to start a thread in this directory if I was of a different faith. He assured me it was OK if it was a respectful question. So with that in mind I would like to ask 'what is the Islamic view of Jesus and the resurrection in the Muslim faith?' Any opinions offered would be very much appreciated. Thank you
Peace be on you.
Ahmadiyya-Muslims' Understandings:
1-Hazrat Jesus (Esa, on whom be peace) was sent only for 'Bani Israel'.

2-It was prophesied (Malachi) that before the coming of Messiah, previous Prophet Elijah was to come..... Hazrat Jesus (a.s.) explained he was John the Baptist (Hazrat Yahya, on whom be peace) -- A metaphor.

3-The fatherless birth of Jesus meant, now house of Prophethood was going to change to other son of Hazrat Ibrahim (on whom be peace)'s descendants i.e to the lineage of Hazrat Ismael (on whom be peace).

4-Hazrat Jesus (a.s.) came for revival; believed by some, opposed by others. He was tried to be shown as enemy of state. The governor Pilate's wife was shown dream that Jesus was innocent. She told her husband to be careful. Pilate was under pressure. He chose time of crucifixion in such a way that Jesus could not have been on cross for long time. Storm came too, guards went away, he was in state of swoon, taken away to a secret tomb, cured with ointment called 'marhem e Esa' in ancient medical books, and left the area, met disciples, showed them wounds, and went to see other 'lost sheep' i.e. other tribes of Israelites - as the Prophets of God migrate when they are oppressed at one place. Came to Iran, Afghanistan and then to Tibet etc. At northern Pakistan town Murree, a tomb is present as 'Mai Mary da Asthan' i.e. Mother Mary's resting place.
Hazrat Jesus died at age 120 after a successful life and his tomb is in Srinagar Kashmir.

5-Holy Quran, ch4:v158 Note # 621
5VC0890.jpg

https://www.alislam.org/quran/tafseer/?page=581&region=E1&CR=
and next page (by a click at the end of page)

6-Same verse in smaller commentary with Notes

image240.gif

https://www.alislam.org/quran/tafseer/?page=225&region=EN

7-Holy Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be on him) mentioned
TWO VERY DIFFERENT APPEARANCES OF MESSIAH
Holy Prophet (s.a.w.) mentioned two very different appearances of Messiah ibne Maryam.

i-Holy Prophet (s.a.w.) saw in dream at night that a handsome man circuiting Kaaba, the man was of brownish complexion, long straight hairs with water drops dripping, he (s.a.w.) was told the man was Messiah ibne Maryam. (Bukhari)

ii-At ascension (Meraj - Ahmadis believe it was spiritual vision of highest order) Holy Prophet (s.a.w.) saw (spiritually) Esa (Messiah ibne Maryam), Musa (Moses) and Ibrahim (Abraham), peace be on them. Esa / Jesus was of red complexion, curly hairs and wide chest. Musa was of brownish complexion and heavy built with straight hairs. (Bukhari)

Clearly two different men with different sphere of works are being told here.
The first Esa was of red complexion, curly hairs and wide chest. Musa is mentioned there too. It means this first Esa was of Bani Israel and for them only.

The second Esa was of brownish complexion, long straight hairs with water drops dripping. He was circuiting Kaaba. This means this Esa is another Esa - a follower of Holy Prophet (s.a.w.) and the duty of second Esa is to defend Islam which began from Kaaba against Dajjal (the negative forces which oppose message of Allah)

8- Please see #21 @ http://www.religiousforums.com/threads/views-on-jesuss-second-coming.176994/page-2#post-4429828

and

9-More details at https://www.alislam.org/topics/jesus/

10-IMPORTANCE OF SECOND COMING
HOLY PROPHET (s.a.w.) SENT GREETINGS FOR PROMISED MESSIAH MAHDI [SAME] and ASKED TO DO HIS BAI'AT

The Promised Messiah -- the Mahdi, is a promised figure who is destined:

i-To reflect the blessings of Holy Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be on him)
ii-To serve Holy Prophet (s.a.w.) in excelling Islam over all religions.

That is why Holy Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be on him) commanded to convey his greetings /salam when he comes, go to him and do Bai'at with him [Esa and Mahdi are same, these are titles Esa implies coolness and corrector of mistake of salvation, Mahdi implies the one guided by God].
This greeting / salam from Holy Prophet (s.a.w.) indicates that peace and excellence accompanies the Promised Messiah. If this man was to be the same as early Messiah of Injeel / Bible, this special sending of greeting does not stand valid because:

i-- if this promised man was to come from heavens, he would have met Holy Prophet (s.a.w.) there and received his greetings, as friends exchange greetings / salam.
ii-- Holy Prophet (s.a.w.) had met Messiah in Meraj (Ascension) and said greeting / salam to him.

Thus the commandment of Holy Prophet (s.a.w.) to convey his greetings / salam to the promised man means that he (s.a.w.) had not met him. This was not ordinary greeting / salam by Holy Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be on him).

REASON FOR COMING of PROMISED MESSIAH - THE MAHDI
He was sent as HAKAM (Arbiter) and ADAL (Judge) to decide disputes. He came on time, at the start of century (1889), at the time of chaos.

SUCESSOR HAS TO BE FROM UMMAH
Allah has promised to those among you who believe and do good works that He will surely make them Successors in the earth, as He made Successors (from among) those who were before them; and that He will surely establish for them their religion which he has chosen for them; and that He will surely give them in exchange security (and peace) after their fear: They will worship Me, (and) they will not associate anything with Me; (Surah Al Nur, from verse 56 of chapter 24)

It clearly shows the Successors would be from the Ummah; not come from sky / heavens. [Promised Reformer is serving Holy Prophet (s.a.w.) thus he is his Successor]. According to this verse, hadith says: What a state you will be in when the son of Mary will descend among you while he will be your Imam from among you? In another version it is said: He will lead you from among you. (Bukhari, Masnad e Ahmad)

DUTIES OF PROMISED MESSIAH--THE MAHDI
The doctrine that Hazrat Jesus / Esa a.s was put to cross to become salvation for the sins of mankind is not correct. The cross has become a symbol for this mistaken belief. The era was full of effects of this erroneous belief. The Holy Prophet (s.a.w.) gave the title of Messiah, Esa Ibne Maryam to the Reformer. It is a metaphor, meaning the Reformer would correct that mistake.

His duties are mentioned as the Reformer would be Imam Mahdi (i.e. guided by God), Hakam and Adal (Arbitrator and Justice) , breaker of the cross (i.e. corrector of wrong belief of salvation), pig destroyer (defeater of those who are metaphorically like pigs; who oppose divine message, stopper of Jizya (i.e. no more war), distributor of wealth which people would not get (i.e. he would distribute spiritual wealth but people would seek material wealth; time of materialism) (Bukhari, Ibne Maja, Masnad e Ahmad); These ahadith are in accordance of Holy Quran, because essentially these are the jobs which every Prophet does --- i.e. Spiritual Reformations.

11-Holy Prophet (s.a.w.) is Last law giving Prophet, The Leader of all Prophets, the Best Prophet according to Ahmadis. Regarding latter days, he (s.a.w.) used words 'Esa nabiullah' i.e. Prophet of Allah four times in Hadith (Book of Muslim). Thus according to him (s.a.w.), the promised man of latter Days was to be status of a Prophet, [and a different man than previous Prophet Jesus (a.s.) as shown above] -- according to Ahmadiyya Muslims.

and its root is in Holy Quran:

[ch62:v3] ‘He it is Who has raised among the Unlettered peoplea Messenger from among themselves who recites unto them His verses, and purifies them, and teaches them the Book and wisdom, although they had been, before, in manifest misguidance;

[ch62:v4]’And amongothers from among them, who have not yet joined them. He is the Mighty, the Wise.’

ABOUT (62:4)-- The Companion Abu Hurairah (may Allah be pleased with him) said:
One day we were sitting with Holy Prophet when Surah Jumua was revealed. I enquired from the Holy Prophet, “Who are the people to whom the words,
“And among others who have not yet joined them” refer?” Salman, the Persian was sitting among us. Upon my repeated asking him the same question the Holy Prophet put his hand on Salman and said, “If faith were to go up to the Pleiades, a man from these would surely find it.
[Bukhari]

i- The coming of someone, at the time when faith had gone to Pleiades [metaphor for extreme weakness in practice of faith] is being told as the coming of Holy Prophet Muhammad himself, which is obviously a metaphor too

ii- It does not mean Prophet Muhammad would come again in person. [No reincarnation]

iii- Such metaphor is used about Allah in Quran too…..It is said when Prophet Muhammad threw handful of dust towards opponents, it was the hand of Allah who did so…..It is said during the Pledge taking under the tree, it was hand of Allah over the hands of believers…..Believers are asked to get colour of Allah…..Obedience of Prophet is obedience of Allah.

iv- In Previous religion, Coming of Elijah (before Messiah) was explained as coming of John the Baptist.

v- Holy Prophet (s.a.w.) has foretold about latter days…… He has foretold the Signs of latter days in such a chained manner which cannot be forged by anyone. He mentioned Signs in heavens, earth, morals, economy, health, inventions, human right awakenings, astronomical changes, and many things.

vi-He (s.a.w.) has foretold that:

a---- Esa Nabi-Ullah (Jesus, prophet of Allah) [Reference: Long Hadith is book of Hadith called “Sahih Muslim”] would come for revival of faith.

b---- Mahdi would come. He (p.b.u.h.) said: Mahdi is none but Esa (Jesus)..[Ref: Ibne majah Hadith]

vii-Holy Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be on him) mentioned that there would be:

a-- Khilafat on the precept of Prophethood after him,

b-- then various eras of kingships with severity would come and

c-- then again khilafat on the precept of Prophethood would be established.

Then he did not say anything.

[Gist]
Ref: Narrator Companion Hudhaifa r.a. , Musnad Ahmad, Hadith]

12-Thus, according to Ahmadiyya Muslims, Hazrat Jesus (a.s.) has died like all Prophets has died, he was Messiah of Hazrat Moses (a.s.)......Latter days are these, the true prophesied interconnected signs have been fulfilling, the Promised Reformer whose advent was told in all major religions has come as ardent devotee of Holy Prophet (s.a.w.). To continue his peace mission to call towards God, his Khilafat was prophesied too, which continues by the help of Allah the Exalted, now fifth Ahmadiyya Khalifah is leading with the teaching: Come to real Islam and take it to whole world, no more wars on the name of religion; prayers, moral and spiritual reforms with no intention to get any worldly government since Ahmadiyya Promised Messiah (a.s.) did not have any government. Ahmadiyya Muslims try to be the best citizens of respective homelands as Holy Prophet (s.a.w.) said the love of homeland is part of faith.

Fuller details in alislam.org

Good wishes.

Last edited:

Pastek

Sunni muslim
Thank you for helping me to better understand what Islam believes in regard to this. So in the view of Islam is Jesus much different than Enoch who did not see death for God took him in Genesis, or Elijah that was taken up in a whirlwind?

Yes, Jesus is in the heaven but not dead and will come back while Enoch and Elijah are really dead.
Note that concerning the death of Enoch (Idriss) we rejoin (but not all muslims believe that) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idris_(prophet)

While we have nothing confirming the special death of Elijah as described in Genesis.

David1967

Premium Member
Well, nothing is perfect. You will see some inappropriate posts around here, but please don't let it bother you and keep that good spirit :)
Well, nothing is perfect. You will see some inappropriate posts around here, but please don't let it bother you and keep that good spirit :)
I will take your advice my friend. So far everyone has been most helpful and polite in their answers. Obviously there are differences in Christian and Muslim interpretations as to the nature of Jesus, but I am happy that He is respected in Islam and that Muslims believe He is in Heaven with God. Even in the early Christian church the nature of Jesus was a much debated topic. And I want to say thank you to all on this thread who have gone to so much effort to provide me with verses from the Koran to show me where Islam gets its views on Jesus as well as Enoch and Elijah. It is obvious to me from those verses that the prophet Mohammed had great respect for Jesus. I am grateful for all your efforts and overall courtesy toward me. :)

cocolia42

Thank you for helping me to better understand what Islam believes in regard to this. So in the view of Islam is Jesus much different than Enoch who did not see death for God took him in Genesis, or Elijah that was taken up in a whirlwind?
I think we must believe that both Enoch and Elijah died because Allah says every soul must taste death. Islamic eschatology talks about the return of Jesus and his death after his return. It never mentions a return of Enoch or Elijah or their deaths. So it seems reasonable to believe they died already.

From what I recall, when Elijah died, Elisha took his mission from him. But to be honest, I can't, off the top of my head, think of an exact reference to his death..

As for Enoch, I can quote from a book I have written by Imam Imaduddin Abul-Fida Ismail Ibn Kathir Ad-Dimashqi:
the Prophet Muhammad passed by him in the 4th heaven during his night journey. In reference to this:
Ibn Jarir narrated from Hilal bin Yasaf, saying: Ibn Abbas asked Ka'b, while I was present there, "What it meant when Allah said: 'And we raised him (Enoch) to a high station.' Ka'b replied: "Allah revealed to Idris (Enoch): 'I would raise for you every day the same amount of deeds of all Adam's children' - perhaps meaning of his time only. So Idris wanted to increase his deeds and devotion. A friend of his from the angels visited him and Idris said to him: 'Allah has revealed such and such, so could you please speak to the angel of death, so I could increase my deeds.' The angel carried him on his wings and went up into the heaven. When it was the fourth heaven, they met the angel of death, who was descending down to the earth. The angel spoke to him, about what Idris had spoken to him before. The angel of death said: 'But where is Idris?' He replied: 'He is upon my back.' The angel of death said: 'How astonishing! I was sent and told to seize his soul in the fourth heaven. I kept thinking how I could seize it in the fourth heaven when he was on the earth?' Then he took his soul there out of his body, and that is what is meant in this verse: 'And We raised him to a high station."​