• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus a Buddha?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Yes. He is a Buddha. We are all Buddhas. He just realized it through His Faith in God. That was His enlightenment.
I agree with you.
The enlightenment is Word of Revelation from G-d. Buddha and Jesus both received the Word of Revelation from G-d and they conveyed the Message of G-d to the public they lived in to struggle against the evil in one's self .
They had many similarities, Mirza Ghulam Ahmad 1835-1908 the spiritual successor of both (Buddha and Jesus) has enumerated some in the link below :
Jesus in India

Regards

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I agree with you.
The enlightenment is Word of Revelation from G-d. Buddha and Jesus both received the Word of Revelation from G-d and they conveyed the Message of G-d to the public they lived in to struggle against the evil in one's self .
They had many similarities, Mirza Ghulam Ahmad 1835-1908 the spiritual successor of both (Buddha and Jesus) has enumerated some in the link below :
Jesus in India

Regards
Buddha didnt get His enlightenment from God. Enlightenment does not need to come from God. He distastes all Gods of His day. Christianity wasnt even around at the time He lived. He found His (not a Christians) enlightenment through self realization of suffering, its cause, its purpose, and ways to releave it. Christians put their sufferings on Christ. Buddha wouldnt have anything to do with "allowing" someone else to take on suffering to which He found solutions Himself without a God.

How could His enlightment be from God when He never knew christiand God to begin with?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
How did you come to know it? Your source, please.
Regards
You gotta be kidding me. Youd have to read the Lotus Sutra (I have in full) and other sutras and the Buddhas history to know he did not like the gods of His day.

You have to read his sutras

A Complete Buddhist Sutra Collection

Thats what 10 percent of his teachings.

Buddhism Origins, Buddhism History, Buddhism Beliefs (facts including origin)

Compared to start of christianity

Christianity Origins, Christianity History, Christianity Beliefs

Not everyone believes in God. Why in the worls would you think Buddha believed in the Christian God. He wasnt even in a christian influenced area. Jesus was not even born when He was around. Judaism, yes. Jesus, no.

Thats just historical fact. Its illogical to assume Buddha was enlightened by a God He did not know.

Likewise with Jesus. No one would assume He had the same enlightenment as The Buddha. His source was HIS God not the Buddha.

Christianity didnt hit India until way after the Buddha's death.

Saying The Buddha got His revelation from God is like saying Jesus got His truth from the Buddha.

I am on my smart phone and dont have finger energy and autocorrection to type out buddhism and christian history.

Read the Bible and start with the Sutras. Youll find sooner or later that the---Buddha taught WE are to help others out of suffering and we take on the responsibility for our karma.

Jesus took suffering on Himself. He did not advocate that we are to carry our own cross WITHOUT God.

Two totally different enlightenments.

If the Buddha had His enlightenment from your God, He would have different teachings that correlate to that God, not Himself.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I didn't mention the Christian-god; Jesus is not god.
Regards
Replace Jesus with God. The point is the same as post 52. The Buddha didnt know God in that day. He opposed to all Gods after trying extrenious practices to be one with whatever God His neighbors worshiped (which were many not one). He found His own revelation. He found His own way from suffering independent on gods. His enlightenment was self realization and it did not come from god. Thats an insult to the thousand of sutras he taught. His focus was on the Mind not God. He had no belief in a creator. No buddhist I know does.

I know you may think everyone believes in god just dont know it or something. That is not true. Read the sutras and the Torah. (Or Quran?) Cant remember your faith.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
What do you guys think? Was Jesus a Buddha, that is to say, was he an enlightened one who tried to guide others to the way? I don't rule out that Jesus could have been. The way he taught can easily be explained by his difference in culture and local religion to that of Gautama Buddha. I wonder if he could be called a Buddha?

I am not convinced that Jesus did exist as a literal person, so I guess not. Nor do I see much in the way of evidence that his teachings were Dharma-informed, either.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Why in the worls would you think Buddha believed in the Christian God.

Please don't be angry. I mentioned G-d not the Christian god Jesus.
Buddha prophesied for coming of a "Bagwa Metteyya" or fair-coloured or White Messiah; Jesus was that person. Buddha got his enlightenment from G-d as did Jesus.
Regards

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I've read the Buddhist suttas extensively, and there is no mention in those of the Buddha getting his enlightenment from God. So what are you basing this idea on?

"The people of the land of this prophecy, i.e., the people of Magadh, in which was located Bajagriha, were dark. Gautama Buddha himself was dark. He had narrated to his followers two conclusive signs regarding the future Buddha; (1) that he would be ‘Bagwa’ or of white skin and (2) that he would be ‘Metteyya’, i.e., traveller, and that he would come from a foreign land. These people, therefore, always looked out for these signs till they actually saw Jesus."
http://www.alislam.org/library/books/Jesus-in-India.pdf

What was the source of Buddha of making a prophecy that later got fulfilled? There is no other source except Word of Revelation from G-d.
Regards

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Please don't be angry. I mentioned G-d not the Christian god Jesus.
Buddha prophesied for coming of a "Bagwa Metteyya" or fair-coloured or White Messiah; Jesus was that person. Buddha got his enlightenment from G-d as did Jesus.
Regards
Its an offense to the. Buddha. Who He is, what he taught. His teachings should reflect not contradict His enlightenment. If His enlightenment came from "any" God, thats a direct contradiction to his teachings.

Its comparing fruits with vegies. They both are food but are completelt different and serve ro an extent different nutritional benefits for the body.

To be honest, it sounds like an attempt to put someone in your world view...the only way to understand that those who think different "musr" for some weird reason to believe in God. Hope beyond hope. The Buddha didnt teach anything about God. Why would He leave out the source of Hid enlightenment IF what you say is true?

How does that compare to those who actually are Buddhist?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
The Buddha had revelations that came true. He said there would be many Buddhas who will take after Him, speaking for Him as Buddhas themselves. Todays Buddhist edit do that. He predicted that people will loose faith in His teachings. We did. We are searching for answers outside ourselves--to Gods, to Goddesses, to this, to that, and not To Ourselves.

Everytime the Buddha's disciples asked the Buddha for the answer to life's mystery, which were many, the Buddha would say things like "you find out on your own" and imply he is the source of wisdom but many of Buddhas will spread His Wisdom (enlightenment) to others...

They, not God, will help others out of their suffering. We are to do as the Buddha did. He did not mention or follow any God to receive this knowledge.

He also says whenever He hears the Dharma taught, He will be there to hear it. He has not died. He continues to express his wisdom to all Buddhas. God has nothing to do with it.

"The people of the land of this prophecy, i.e., the people of Magadh, in which was located Bajagriha, were dark. Gautama Buddha himself was dark. He had narrated to his followers two conclusive signs regarding the future Buddha; (1) that he would be ‘Bagwa’ or of white skin and (2) that he would be ‘Metteyya’, i.e., traveller, and that he would come from a foreign land. These people, therefore, always looked out for these signs till they actually saw Jesus."
http://www.alislam.org/library/books/Jesus-in-India.pdf

What was the source of Buddha of making a prophecy that later got fulfilled? There is no other source except Word of Revelation from G-d.
Regards