• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jerry Falwell is dead

SoyLeche

meh...
On the radio they have broken in for a news conference. It appears that Jerry Falwell may have passed away.

I know a lot of you may be overjoyed at this news, but he is an important member of the community that I live in, and there will be a lot of heartfelt mourning. I actually just ate lunch with some friends and one of them was talking about how a few days ago he was sitting in a restaurant in the booth next to Jerry, and his son spent most of the time standing on the bench and "playing" with Jerry accross the divider. While I may disagree with a lot of what he says - he was a good man.

It has now been confirmed - he passed away.

Booko

Deviled Hen
I find it hard to be terribly overjoyed at anyone's passing, though I suppose Tinky Winky might be somewhat pleased. *sigh*

I'm sorry for his family. Loss is never easy to deal with.

I have no idea what Falwell was like in person. It's like any public figure -- all you know is what's in the media, and that's usually a bit warped.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
With any luck Pat Robertson is right behind him.

to wish death upon them is to be just like them... i'm sorry, but i just can't do that. perhaps we can save the sniping and opposition commentary for a while? i'm sure there are people on the forum mourning this passing and they deserve our respect.

Ciscokid

to wish death upon them is to be just like them... i'm sorry, but i just can't do that. perhaps we can save the sniping and opposition commentary for a while? i'm sure there are people on the forum mourning this passing and they deserve our respect.

Well I don't wish death but I'm not busted up over this. Pat and Jerry have said some pretty rude statements over the years. They embody what I hate in fundamentalism and close mindedness.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I am always extremely sad for those left behind. But not for those who have Died.
They have moved on and will be with God. If they were evil they might not be aware of who they had been . if not they will have joy.

!Fluffy!

Lacking Common Sense
http://www.liberty.edu/index.cfm?PID=6921

VOCATIONS AND POSTS
Thomas Road Baptist Church: Pastor since 1956
Old Time Gospel Hour, Inc.: President since 1956
Elim Home for Alcoholics: since 1959
Lynchburg Christian Academy , K-12: since 1967
Liberty University: Chancellor since 1971
Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary: Chancellor since 1973
Liberty Bible Institute: Chancellor since 1972
Moral Majority, Inc.: 1979-1989
Liberty Godparent Home for Unwed Mothers: since 1982
Liberty Broadcasting Network: President since 1985
Clergyman of the Year in America, Religious Heritage of America, 1979
Jabotinsky Centennial Medal, for friendship to Israel; presented by Prime Minister Menachem Begin, 1980
Christian Humanitarian of the Year, Food for the Hungry International, 1981
Most Admired Man Not in Congress, Conservative Digest, 1983
Voted several times among the 10 Most Admired Men in America, Good Housekeeping Poll
Named one of the 25 Most Influential People in America, U.S. News & World Report, 1983
Debated New Zealand Prime Minister David Lange, defending the "Western Nuclear Alliance," at Oxford Debating Society, 1985
Named the Most Influential Central Virginian of the 20th Century in a survey conducted by the News and Advance in Lynchburg, Virginia, Dec. 1999
Named Virginia 's most influential clergyman of the 20th Century by the Virginia Historical Society

Although i did not agree with rev. falwell's pov or tactics, nor did i ever show much respect for his public persona, i have heard he was a compassionate and generous man in his personal life.

may he rest in peace. may the holy spirit comfort his loved ones in their grief.

Bishka

Veteran Member
I neither agree or like Jerry Falwell's tactics or what he said, but I emphatically emphasize that all the dead should be respected. Although I do have to admit, when I saw it on the news at work, I sort of giggled. :cover:

Ciscokid

I didn't respect the man much when he was alive much so why start now? Cuz he's dead?

I'm not going to feel bad when Robertson is dead. I'm not advocating that anyone be killed. But when some of these guys fall down dead I don't feel compelled to lower my flag half mast.

Booko

Deviled Hen
I didn't respect the man much when he was alive much so why start now? Cuz he's dead?

Because he was a fellow human. He had his flaws, and so do the rest of us.

There's a reason it's considered bad manners to speak ill of the dead.

Not that anyone pays much attention to "common" courtesy anymore.

I'm not going to feel bad when Robertson is dead. I'm not advocating that anyone be killed. But when some of these guys fall down dead I don't feel compelled to lower my flag half mast.

I wouldn't suggest you suddenly lower your flag or that you should have any reason to mourn yourself. But it might be worth considering not adding to one's own bad karma.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Because he was a fellow human. He had his flaws, and so do the rest of us.

There's a reason it's considered bad manners to speak ill of the dead.

Not that anyone pays much attention to "common" courtesy anymore.

I wouldn't suggest you suddenly lower your flag or that you should have any reason to mourn yourself. But it might be worth considering not adding to one's own bad karma.

the gnome-gnapping devil hen believes in Karma??!! :eek:

Booko

Deviled Hen
the gnome-gnapping devil hen believes in Karma??!! :eek:

Not in the reincarnation sense, no, but I sure do in other ways. :eek:

Even the Western religions have heard of the version that goes: As ye sow, so shall ye reap. :yes: