• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jehova's Witnesses

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
The doorbell rang this morning, and I went to answer the door.

There were two young (for me) attractive ladies with the watchtower magazine.............
They gave me their 'spiel', and the selling point flavour of the month was kindness towards animals. I let them talk on until it got to the stage of asking me for my religious views; I told them I was a Christian, and 'in the best possible taste' told them that I personally frown on proselytizing; we chatted amicably, and they went on their way - without leaving me their booklet.:(

Joking apart, how do you guys feel about these people; is going door to door the right way to get recruits? what do you all think?:)

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I think most of them just want to share what they feel is important. I'm not a fan of proselytizing either, it's not something that is necessary for my faith. But for others it is. So if I can help them in their faith by listening to them and talking politely with them, I feel I've upheld what I believe in. That does not mean I believe what they're telling me however. I would never slam a door on someone or start an argument. If it's a bad time, I would tell them so and they usually ask when would be a better time to talk. At worst, if I'm in a really foul mood and don't feel I can be polite and respectful, I just won't answer the door. They alway come back anyway. :)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
They "walk their talk" - good for them.
I never thought of it that way.

I don't like the ones that are persistent about trying to convert you. Persistency is good, but not when your wasting your time. I keep telling them I know that Christianity isn't the path for me, and I'm very happy were I am, but they keep persisting.

jonny

I did it for two years and wasn't a fan of going door to door - I believe it is very ineffective and that there are much better ways of finding people to speak with. On the other hand, when I did go door to door I met many people who we were able to help in many ways. Believe it or not, there are people out there searching for religion who are actually grateful that someone showed up on their doorstep.

While I am not a fan of going door to door, I try to be kind to people when they show up on my door step because I know how it feels to get a door slammed in your face - over and over for hours on end. :)

Melody

I look at them as I do any sales person and treat them the same way. A polite, thank you but I'm not interested and if they're courteous, they'll say "have a good day" and go on their way and I shut the door/phone. If they are not, I repeat it in a firmer tone of voice and shut the door or hang up the phone.

Aqualung

Tasty
Deut. 32.8 said:
They "walk their talk" - good for them.
Yeah, that's essentially how I feel, so, like jonny, I'll treat them well, because I belong to a church which has people go door to door. I can't sympathise directly, because I've never been on a mission myself, but I can see where they're coming from.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
I let them into my house and I asked several questions and they never came back. This is no reflection on the religion as a whole. That was just my experience.

~Victor

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
michel said:
Joking apart, how do you guys feel about these people; is going door to door the right way to get recruits? what do you all think?:)
I see nothing wrong with it, although it is probably less effective than some other ways. LDS missionaries still do some of that, although their time is generally better spent by contacting "referrals." When the JW's come to my door, I usually talk to them for a few minutes and take some of their literature. I figure it's maybe five minutes out of my day.

Aqualung

Tasty
Katzpur said:
I see nothing wrong with it, although it is probably less effective than some other ways. LDS missionaries still do some of that, although their time is generally better spent by contacting "referrals." When the JW's come to my door, I usually talk to them for a few minutes and take some of their literature. I figure it's maybe five minutes out of my day.
Hey, you made 1001 posts!

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
michel said:

There were two young (for me) attractive ladies with the watchtower magazine.............
They gave me their 'spiel', and the selling point flavour of the month was kindness towards animals. I let them talk on until it got to the stage of asking me for my religious views; I told them I was a Christian, and 'in the best possible taste' told them that I personally frown on proselytizing; we chatted amicably, and they went on their way - without leaving me their booklet.:(

Michel,

Don't you ever have LDS missionaries come to your door? I can always send some, if you'd like. :D

Kathryn

Flappycat

michel said:

I've met a few who made me highly annoyed, and I've met a few who not only didn't deserve to be killed but whom I found I rather liked. They have about the same dorkrate as any other type of salespeople, and I'm not against it as a matter of principle. One lady at the train station approached me, and I politely stated that "I am an atheist, ma'am." She then made a polite and cordial exit and ceased to bother me. I honestly don't mind that.

I only get annoyed when salespeople start to get pushy, like this church that repeatedly left their leaflets on and around my door, knowing that I wasn't interested, until I threatened to litigate. If nothing else, they were creating litter.

cardero

Citizen Mod
The reason is scripturally based and is fueled by the example that Jesus set. Unfortunately times are different now.

The only problem I have with door to door preaching is that a majority of the visits are with house residents who are unaware of their coming. Even though God has not announced the exact day that Armageddon is coming, He did give us some signs that do point to this day. I receive no such indications from door to door preachers. I do not like unexpected visits. I enjoy company when I can spend time with them, possibly have refreshments prepared and know that I have a block of time where I can devote my attention to such company.

Another inconsideration about door to door preachers is that they are not prepared to consider a home owner’s point of view. They are usually there for one purpose and one purpose only. If you are not interested in following/joining/listening to their religion they are not interested in your company. This seems selfish to me.

robtex

Veteran Member
Cold calling works in sales and Jw's (and other's like them) is a sales-pitch. I havn't seen one in years since moving to cental texas but Jw's came by all the time when I was in jr high and high school in houston tx.

I have to say that today I know alot about their religion but not from the watchtower. But from diggin on here with jw's for info and independant reading.

My father is a JW now. He converted to marry his current wife in the early 90's. They are a really closed community and recruitment is, for some of them, outside of profession there largest contact with the outside world.

In answer to the origninal question posed by Michel...my feels are apathy towards there door-to-door solicitation. If I were a christian though I would have a much larger interest as the beliefs would be tangent.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Katzpur said:
Michel,

Don't you ever have LDS missionaries come to your door? I can always send some, if you'd like. :D

Kathryn
I have. When I was 13. They even played basketball with me. Very cool. Todd and Jared was their names. Never forget.

~Victor

cardero

Citizen Mod
robtex said:
In answer to the origninal question posed by Michel...my feels are apathy towards there door-to-door solicitation. If I were a christian though I would have a much larger interest as the beliefs would be tangent.
It isn't easy. It takes a very unique person to be doing this on a regular basis.
I have. When I was 13. They even played basketball with me. Very cool. Todd and Jared was their names. Never forget.

~Victor
I personally have had good experiences with members of these organizations. It is their relationship with GOD that I question.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
carrdero said:
I personally have had good experiences with members of these organizations. It is their relationship with GOD that I question.
carrdero,

I'm glad you've had good experiences with the Latter-day Saints. I'm wondering, though, what is it about our relationship with God that concerns you? And isn't each person's relationship with God really just between that person and God? I'm not trying to be rude. I just don't understand how my relationship with God could possibly be of any interest to you.