• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jehovah's Witnesses only: Questions regarding the resurrection in Jehovahs Witness theology

Clear

Premium Member
HockeyCowboy said : “I would not stick too closely to ancient Judaic views.
The reason is, they were not in agreement even with each other.
The Scriptures (in the Bible's canon) tell us this: the Pharisees believed in a Resurrection...the Sadducees didn't.

What does that tell us?” (post #120)

Hi @Hockeycowboy
Thanks, I am well and I hope you are safe from covid and other ills as well.

Are you referring to the tendency for religionists (Jews in this instance) to form Schisms and develop evolving and conflicting doctrines?

If this is your point, I agree with you and appreciate the point you are making.
I also think you are correct that one should not "attach themselves too closely" to many of the ancient Judaic views.

Clear
εινεεινεω

Last edited:

Clear

Premium Member
Hi @Deeje

REGARDING THE EARLY JUDEO-CHRISTIAN INTERPRETATION OF ECCLESTIATES 12:7
Eccl. 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

In Post #113, Clear discussed the early Judeo-Christian literature demonstrating their interpretation of Eccl 12:7 regarding an actual spirit within man that returned to God where that spirit originated versus the re-interpretation of this in Jehovahs Witness Theology

In post #114, Deeje responded : @Clear Again with the reams of irrelevant quotations.

This is a suspicious and strange conclusion Deeje.
You complained when I compare early Christian literature describing their interpretation of scriptures to Jehovahs Witness interpretation.
You say you want more scriptures.

So in post #113 I quoted from multiple scriptures regarding early belief that a spirit existed within mankind. For examples :

I quoted from Eccl. 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

I quoted from Luke 23:46 where Jesus says, “into thy hands I commend my spirit” upon the death of his body.

I quoted from Gal. 5:17 where the “flesh lusteth against the spirit, and the spirit against the flesh to show that we men have both flesh and spirit.

I quoted from Psalms. 16:10 (or Acts 2:27, 31) where the psalmist rejoices that God “thou wilt not leave my soul in hell

And, also, I demonstrated the concept from Phillip that in ancient Christianity where the breath placed in Adam was a synonym for spirit just as the word “soul” is a “synonym” for the word “spirit” in modern discussions. In this sort of symbology I quoted

James 4:5 spirit that dwelleth in us lusteth to envy
Job 14:22 his spirit within him shall mourn
Ps. 22:29 none can keep alive his own spirit
Matt. 10:28 fear him which is able to destroy both spirit and body
James 1:21 engrafted word, which is able to save your spirit
1 Pet. 1:22 ye have purified your spirit in obeying
Ezek. 11:19 (36:26–27; 37:14) I will put a new spirit within you
Luke 24:39 spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me
Acts 7:59 Stephen ... saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit
Acts 23:8 Sadducees say that there is no resurrection, neither angel, nor spirit
Rom. 8:16 spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit
1 Cor. 6:20 glorify God in your body, and in your spirit

EVOLVING COMPLAINTS TO A COMPARISON OF ANCIENT CHRISTIANITY WITH JEHOVAHS WITNESS THEOLOGY REGARDING THE SPIRIT

It makes no sense to complain that I am not sharing enough data that is in your opinion, relevant to this issue of ancient Christianity and then complain that I am giving you too much data, and then when I give you data from scriptures it makes no sense for you to complain that these scriptures are irrelevant.

One purpose of asking about the Jehovahs Witness interpretation and their version of the theology surrounding the resurrection is to understand the differences as well as that which is similar to early Christianity.

The base point is that Jehovahs Witness theology regarding the resurrection is different than the historical version of resurrection described by the early Judeo-Christians in their literature.

DEEJE IS "MOVING ON" AND AWAY FROM THIS CONVERSATION
Deeje said : “Shaking the dust off....moving on....” (post #118)

Thank you Deeje, for being willing to "move on".

Sometimes the communication between you and I is helpful and sometimes the combination just doesn't seem to work. I appreciate your efforts.

Can anyone tell if me the Jehovahs Witnesses believe in “Original Sin” or some version of this doctrine?

Clear
εινεακακω

Last edited: