• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jehovah's Witnesses Only: Genesis 18:20-21 and Judges 1:19

Frank Goad

I found this on this website: BibleGateway.com: A searchable online Bible in over 150 versions and 50 languages.

Genesis 18:20-21

King James Version

20 And the Lord said, Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous;
21 I will go down now, and see whether they have done altogether according to the cry of it, which is come unto me; and if not, I will know.

and

Judges 1:19

King James Version

19 And the Lord was with Judah; and he drave out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron.

How does the NWT bible interpret these bible verses?:)

nPeace

Veteran Member
I found this on this website: BibleGateway.com: A searchable online Bible in over 150 versions and 50 languages.

Genesis 18:20-21​

King James Version​

20 And the Lord said, Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous;
21 I will go down now, and see whether they have done altogether according to the cry of it, which is come unto me; and if not, I will know.

and

Judges 1:19​

King James Version​

19 And the Lord was with Judah; and he drave out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron.
Why did you create a new thread on this Frank? It's basically the same as your previous, and I gave an answer. Maybe you can respond to it.
As regards God going down to examine, the Bible says
(Habakkuk 1:13) . . .Your eyes are too pure to look on what is evil,. . .
(Psalm 5:5) . . .No arrogant person may stand in your presence. You hate all those who behave wickedly.

Hence, God also "turns away" from seeing.
(Isaiah 1:15) . . .when you spread out your palms, I hide my eyes from you.

The Bible also says, angels - messengers of God - went down to investigate, and bring back a report.
(Genesis 19:1) . . .The two angels arrived at Sodʹom by evening. . .

How does the NWT bible interpret these bible verses?:)

I think you meant, how does the NWT render the text? In the same way.
The NWT is a translation of the Hebrew and Greek scriptures. It doesn't interpret the text. It's not a paraphrase Bible.

Frank Goad

Why did you create a new thread on this Frank? It's basically the same as your previous, and I gave an answer. Maybe you can respond to it.
As regards God going down to examine, the Bible says
(Habakkuk 1:13) . . .Your eyes are too pure to look on what is evil,. . .
(Psalm 5:5) . . .No arrogant person may stand in your presence. You hate all those who behave wickedly.

Hence, God also "turns away" from seeing.
(Isaiah 1:15) . . .when you spread out your palms, I hide my eyes from you.

The Bible also says, angels - messengers of God - went down to investigate, and bring back a report.
(Genesis 19:1) . . .The two angels arrived at Sodʹom by evening. . .

I think you meant, how does the NWT render the text? In the same way.
The NWT is a translation of the Hebrew and Greek scriptures. It doesn't interpret the text. It's not a paraphrase Bible.
Sorry I didn't get to the other thread until now.Thanks for the feed back.:)