• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jehovah's Witnesses Knocked on My Door

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Please, then, tell me why my inquires you call "rubbish".

Because they are. Like the OP, your perceptions are yours. If you disagree with what we teach and always have, you were never a JW to begin with.

We have a commission just like Jesus first century disciples....(Matthew 10:11-15) and we carry it out....not to make everyone a JW, but to weed out those who want to do their own thing. We are instructed to be obedient to our shepherds, (Hebrews 13:17) we know who ours are, so I am left wondering who yours are?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Because they are. Like the OP, your perceptions are yours. If you disagree with what we teach and always have, you were never a JW to begin with.

We have a commission just like Jesus first century disciples....(Matthew 10:11-15) and we carry it out....not to make everyone a JW, but to weed out those who want to do their own thing. We are instructed to be obedient to our shepherds, (Hebrews 13:17) we know who ours are, so I am left wondering who yours are?
You do not know? I need just one shepherd. Psalms 23
I do not know why you think you need more. 1 Samuel 8:7

Is this post rubbish also?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
(Hebrews 13:17)
I have no doubt that you have made yourself deaf as well as blind. I have said many times that Hebrews 13:17 wasn't written: "obey". The word was written "yield". I am sure. You may look it up if you can.

I did yield to them and if they ever see me again I will yield to them.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think everyone should know that yield does not actually mean obey.
To teach it like that is lying.

What happens to liars @Deeje?

Muffled

Jesus in me
I had a visit from a Jehovah's Witness who left me an "Awake" magazine. I told him I would not give him .25 for it and he said I did not have to.

There are twenty biblical quotes in the magazine. Five of the quotes are word for word correct from the bible, seven of the quotes are slightly changed, and eight of the quotes are greatly changed to give the Jehovah's Witness interpretation.

Some of the quotes have the biblical reference in parenthesis as if to admit that this is not the word for word version and that it is their interpretation. Some of the quotes do not have the parenthesis and are still very changed.

When you change a biblical quote on purpose and provide a bible reference for that changed quote, that is called lying.

If you want to post a biblical quote and THEN give your Jehovah's Witness interpretation of it, that is fine, but purposely changing quotes to make the bible say what you WANT it to mean is dishonest.

I believe at one time the NWT (JW's translation of the Bible) managed to translate everything from a JW viewpoint so it might very well be that the quotes are in their translation.

Muffled

Jesus in me
It's not called lying. It's why there are differing denominations of a singular Christian religion.

It's all in the "interpretation" of Scripture.

It's no different than Christians who cherry pick.

I believe the difference is that Christians take an objective look at what the text is saying in order to translate it instead of translating from preconceived notions.

Mister Silver

Faith's Nightmare
I believe the difference is that Christians take an objective look at what the text is saying in order to translate it instead of translating from preconceived notions.

Wouldn't a christian who already believes god exists be reading it from a biased perspective, however?

Probably the only true objective reading would come from one who did not have a belief in god nor a disbelief in god.

Super Universe

Defender of God
I agree with your last paragraph - but I honestly don't think that nit-picking possibly dubious but entirely innocuous misinterpretations of scripture is helping humans evolve either. For the record, the Bible does indeed say - especially but certainly not exclusively in Revelation - that God will bring justice and the scripture cited will be the result of the removal of wickedness. Like I said - its up to you whether you believe it. I don't, but I have no truck with those who correctly claim this is what the Bible says because it is what the Bible says.

You don't think nit-picking misinterpretations of scripture is helpful? So you are okay with people changing bible verses then. You are entitled to your opinion.

The bible says that God will bring justice? It says a lot of things, which ones are correct?

Is an eye for an eye from God? Or forgiveness? Which one?

Is God an angry and jealous God?

Is it correct that you shall pay a ransom on the census? How do the priests get the money to God?

Or that women shall be quiet and submissive?

Or that women should not teach or exercise authority over man?

Or that women should keep silent in the churches?

Are those from God or from men?

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Wouldn't a christian who already believes god exists be reading it from a biased perspective, however?

Probably the only true objective reading would come from one who did not have a belief in god nor a disbelief in god.
That's an interesting view, and in most things, that way (a truly objective pov) is best. But once that person came across the first miracle, ie., the talking snake.....or maybe reading about the parting of the Red Sea....what do you think they'd conclude?

siti

You don't think nit-picking misinterpretations of scripture is helpful? So you are okay with people changing bible verses then. You are entitled to your opinion.

The bible says that God will bring justice? It says a lot of things, which ones are correct?

Is an eye for an eye from God? Or forgiveness? Which one?

Is God an angry and jealous God?

Is it correct that you shall pay a ransom on the census? How do the priests get the money to God?

Or that women shall be quiet and submissive?

Or that women should not teach or exercise authority over man?

Or that women should keep silent in the churches?

Are those from God or from men?
They are all from men - all scripture of any kind is from men - but your post was not about that - it was about whether or not JWs are dishonest in quoting from their own version of the Bible. They might be wrong (about a lot of things) but they are faithful to their version of "God's Word". Changing the topic doesn't change that.

Super Universe

Defender of God
They are all from men - all scripture of any kind is from men - but your post was not about that - it was about whether or not JWs are dishonest in quoting from their own version of the Bible. They might be wrong (about a lot of things) but they are faithful to their version of "God's Word". Changing the topic doesn't change that.

I have already posted quotes from their Awake magazine that do not match their own NWT bible.