• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jehovah's Witness cartoon suggests to Children that magic-themed toys make Jehovah 'sad'

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
My friend showed me this video on YouTube the other day. I had no idea Jehovah's Witnesses even produced cartoons. Nonetheless, I found the message of the video not only odd, but subtly authoritarian in nature. I'll let you judge for yourself:

Seems that playing pretend with an action figure is rather an odd thing for 'Jehovah' to get upset about, no?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
My friend showed me this video on YouTube the other day. I had no idea Jehovah's Witnesses even produced cartoons. Nonetheless, I found the message of the video not only odd, but subtly authoritarian in nature. I'll let you judge for yourself:

Seems that playing pretend with an action figure is rather an odd thing for 'Jehovah' to get upset about, no?
Jehovah's Witnesses do not care about what other people think.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Thats just creepy and sad

Jeremiah Ames

Four things wrong.

1. Jehovah is concerned with your love for others, not your toys.
2. Satan doesn’t exist.
3. The kid looked sad.
4. The momma was too skinny.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

Almost everything makes Jehovah sad, at least according to the JW's. I would not worry too much.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member

Whoa, Dharma, you think it's "action figures"? That is a strawman, my friend.

The figure represents magic. Now read Deuteronomy 18:10-12, and tell me what Jehovah God thought / thinks about magic.

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
Whoa, Dharma, you think it's "action figures"? That is a strawman, my friend.

The figure represents magic. Now read Deuteronomy 18:10-12, and tell me what Jehovah God thought / thinks about magic.

The cartoon makes it about the action figure. Not I.

If it's not about the action figure- it shouldn't be an issue for a kid to play make believe.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
The cartoon makes it about the action figure. Not I.

If it's not about the action figure- it shouldn't be an issue for a kid to play make believe.
And there is no problem with that! But the video is about the magic the toy represents....it's mentioned all through it.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I famously do not get along well with the Watchtower Society. I agree that JWs as an organization are fairly authoritarian, isolationist, far behind the educational curve in acceptance of modern scientific knowledge or even have much presence in higher education at all. Meaning higher poverty rate, poor treatment of LGBT, higher rates of depression especially in younger members, etc.

That said, with global telecommunications becoming an inevitability even in your average JW life, there are a lot more 'disassociated but not disfellowshipped' self identifying JWs. This group consumes a lot less of the literature or attends their meetings. And I think that's a hopeful sign for the future, maybe some splinter groups will form to compete with the very decrepid traditionalism. Or maybe force a lottle more modern takes into the watchtower society.
Heck JW.org even having a presence on YouTube is so weird to me because when I studied with them the internet was this big scary place and their awake magazines were full of 'avoid worldy aol chat rooms! People there will tempt you!' Though I have little doubt that if our JW resident's elders saw them hanging out on this forum without the sole intention of proselizing, they'd get a stern/concerned talking to. At least mine certainly would have. Their mileage may vary.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
...... there are a lot more 'disassociated but not disfellowshipped' self identifying JWs.

They key word here that you used, ADA, is "self-identifying". Believe me, far more are disfellowshipped.

Unfortunately, I've been involved in quite a few judicial proceedings; in comparison with those who were disfellowshipped, not very many have disassociated themselves.

Only afterwards, is it that some of these who were disfellowshipped, then claim they disassociated themselves. They don't want to own up to their actions.

My first wife was disfellowshipped (for adultery), but she realized the import of what she did, and was reinstated after 6 months.
Her older brother, however, was disfellowshipped for unrepentant immorality, has stayed disfellowshipped, but tells people he disassociated himself.

Just for the record, a person gets disfellowshipped, not for what they do, but their attitude about doing it!

We follow the Scriptural precedent @ 1 Corinthians 5.

Take care.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
They key word here that you used, ADA, is "self-identifying". Believe me, far more are disfellowshipped.

Unfortunately, I've been involved in quite a few judicial proceedings; in comparison with those who were disfellowshipped, not very many have disassociated themselves.

Only afterwards, is it that some of these who were disfellowshipped, then claim they disassociated themselves. They don't want to own up to their actions.

My first wife was disfellowshipped (for adultery), but she realized the import of what she did, and was reinstated after 6 months.
Her older brother, however, was disfellowshipped for unrepentant immorality, has stayed disfellowshipped, but tells people he disassociated himself.

Just for the record, a person gets disfellowshipped, not for what they do, but their attitude about doing it!

We follow the Scriptural precedent @ 1 Corinthians 5.

Take care.
Like I said, milege may vary. Over the ten year span of my time with JWs in the Pacific NW region (Including conventions and a two year move to Texas), disfellowships were far less common than disassociation, and usually at a gradual loss of attendance and door to door participation and citing differences of opinion with the Watchtower society.
Though I was never baptized so don't technically count as either, I identify as disassociated, as do most of my contacts that left the church but were never disfellowshipped.
In fact the only one I know was disfellowshipped for refusing to break up with her girlfriend (she was disowned by her family too. Which was heartbreaking to watch but unrelated.)

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Silly video if that was the God of the Bible, he wouldn't just bin the magical action figure; he'd burn it, and destroy every last one of them... Typical Christians only going half the distance. :p

In my opinion. :innocent:

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Silly video if that was the God of the Bible, he wouldn't just bin the magical action figure; he'd burn it, and destroy every last one of them... Typical Christians only going half the distance. :p

In my opinion. :innocent:
If it were Jews they'd have tens of laws on how you can play with it and an entire tractate dedicated to its ultimate meaning.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
We just have one simple rule from the Bible.....NO magic. There are only two sources of supernatural power according to what God warned the Israelites about...

"9 “When you have entered into the land that Jehovah your God is giving you, you must not learn to imitate the detestable practices of those nations. 10 There should not be found in you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, anyone who employs divination, anyone practicing magic, anyone who looks for omens, a sorcerer, 11 anyone binding others with a spell, anyone who consults a spirit medium or a fortune-teller, or anyone who inquires of the dead. 12 For whoever does these things is detestable to Jehovah, and on account of these detestable practices Jehovah your God is driving them away from before you." (Deuteronomy 18:9-12)

So there you have it.....if its listed there as something Jehovah "detests" then that is a fairly good indication that it is from the devil. He is very subtle and he likes to start early.....so we have to as well.

The videos are for very small children and are a great teaching tool designed for our children. We do not force them on others. The world of children's entertainment is saturated with magic....so we believe that its good to give our kids a positive message about the dangers of "playing with the devil".

You may think otherwise.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
And there is no problem with that! But the video is about the magic the toy represents....it's mentioned all through it.

'Magic' is not the correct way you say 'imagination'. What I suspect this is really about is limiting childrens' creativity and engaging in thought-policing. This seems like yet another sad attempt by the Watchtower Society to micro-manage their cultists.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Magic is make believe, it does not exist nor ever has existed.
God is no concerned by childrens imaginings.
If people want to practice magic and the like, they are simply wasting their time.
Any evil associated with it is down to peoples ill will to others, not with any ability to harm them.

The JW's have a very magical view of Christianity, so they almost certainy believe and fear magic in its other aspects.