• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jehovah’s Witnesses Extend Global Invitation to the Annual Commemoration of Christ’s Death

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
https://www.jw.org/en/news/releases/by-region/world/jw-memorial-jesus-christ-death-2016/

NEW YORK—On Saturday, February 27, Jehovah’s Witnesses will launch a global campaign to invite the public to an event the Witnesses consider to be the most important of the year, the Memorial of Christ’s death, which will take place on March 23.

David A. Semonian, spokesman for Jehovah’s Witnesses at their world headquarters in New York, states: “The commemoration will include a discourse explaining why Jesus’ death almost two thousand years ago is relevant in modern times and how it inspires hope for the future. We would like as many people as possible to benefit from the spiritual guidance this ceremony will offer.”

Throughout the campaign, some eight million Witnesses around the globe will personally visit their neighbors to invite them to this event. Last year, nearly 20 million people attended the Memorial observance.

http://tv.jw.org/#en/video/VODMinistry/docid-502016800_1_VIDEO

Why Do Jehovah’s Witnesses Observe the Lord’s Supper Differently From the Way Other Religions Do?

https://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/faq/lords-supper/

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
So WHAT IS the correct date?
This April 22nd?

Although Nisan 14, 33 C.E. was a Friday, the anniversary of that date might fall on a different day of the week each year. We determine the date that Nisan 14 falls each year using the same method as was used in the time of Jesus, rather than applying the method used for the modern Jewish calendar.*

According to JW .org.

Last edited:

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
The equinox is March 20th, the nearest new moon is April 7th, so it would actually be after sunset on the 21st. The WT went backwards to the new moon on March 9th and then went forward again to March 23rd.

Ahhhhhh. I see. The G.B. got it wrong and likely will never admit it.
Still I don't think God will mind much.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Thanks for bumping this thread, I was going to remind folks that they are all welcome to come to their nearest Kingdom Hall and share in the commemoration with us.

March 23rd is the date...after sundown. Check with JW's locally for the time and location if you haven't received your invitation yet. :)

Millions around the world will be meeting for this very special occasion...the only one commanded for Christians and not tainted with pagan Easter bunnies or chocolate eggs.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
You're welcome. As you, I like the truth to be put out there. Do any of the links you posted explain that no one but the anointed get to participate in taking the emblems, everyone else are just there to watch this gala event?

That is explained in the talk given on the night. Passing the emblems itself is significant because it serves as a reminder of the value of Christ's sacrifice to us as beneficiaries of the covenant that Jesus made with his disciples on Passover night. Those taken into the new covenant will rule with him in heaven. They are chosen and anointed for that role and they are a finite number. Only these partake of the emblems. The subjects of their rulership are deeply grateful for this provision and join with Christ's anointed in a global commemoration. Since this "great crowd" are without number, millions around the world observe the most important event there is for Christians without tainting it with pagan customs that originate in the worship of false gods.

1 Cor 11:23-34:
"For I received from the Lord what I also handed on to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night on which he was going to be betrayed took a loaf, 24 and after giving thanks, he broke it and said:This means my body, which is in your behalf. Keep doing this in remembrance of me.” 25 He did the same with the cup also, after they had the evening meal, saying: “This cup means the new covenant by virtue of my blood. Keep doing this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me.” 26 For whenever you eat this loaf and drink this cup, you keep proclaiming the death of the Lord, until he comes.
27 Therefore, whoever eats the loaf or drinks the cup of the Lord unworthily will be guilty respecting the body and the blood of the Lord. 28 First let a man approve himself after scrutiny, and only then let him eat of the loaf and drink of the cup. 29 For the one who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment against himself. 30 That is why many among you are weak and sick, and quite a few are sleeping in death. 31 But if we would discern what we ourselves are, we would not be judged. 32 However, when we are judged, we are disciplined by Jehovah, so that we may not become condemned with the world. 33 Consequently, my brothers, when you come together to eat it, wait for one another. 34 If anyone is hungry, let him eat at home, so that when you come together it is not for judgment. But as for the remaining matters, I will put them in order when I get there."

Paul outlined that those eating and drinking the emblems "unworthily" will be guilty before Jehovah. This is serious because the covenant was not made with people who just call themselves Christians and rock up to church and partake in communion and then go off and forget what they are supposed to be. The partakers are part of the Kingdom...chosen by God to be part of its governance and priesthood.(Rev 20:6) As kings and priests in that kingdom arrangement, they will have earthly subjects who are still in their sinful flesh and needing their help as priests to achieve the final state of sinless perfection so that they can be granted permanent residency in the "new earth" under uninterrupted Theocratic rule forever.

All of the rulers in that kingdom were chosen first and then things went back to pre-Christian expectations....living forever under Messiah's kingdom on earth. This is when the identity of the "great crowd" was fully discerned and Christ's disciples were happy to be among their brothers and sisters on earth under the best government the world has ever had.

djhwoodwerks

I won't keep this going on your post, but I would like to continue the discussion/debate on a new thread if you will join me. I will also delete all my posts if you'd like.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Up to you djhw....what is it you would like to discuss? Since I have responded to your posts, there would not be much point in deleting them unless you really want to.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Just wanted to remind everyone that the annual Memorial of Christ's death will be observed on Wednesday, March 23rd after sundown at your nearest Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses.
Please refer to the hand delivered invitation you may now have received as to the time and location.
It is the only command that Jesus gave to his disciples to "keep doing this in remembrance of me".

Everyone is welcome to come and "remember" what Jesus did for humanity. :)