• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Japan decides to dump tons of radioactive water into the Pacific

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
What is your proposal for disposing the water in question?
I am curious mainly because if nothing is done about it then here in August it will be overflowing their storage tanks and leaking into the ground.
This problem looks more dangerous than dumping it in the
ocean, where it would be greatly diluted. Sometimes doing
a bad thing is better than doing a worse thing.

Wandering Monk

This has been ongoing for a while, with a lot of protests from many concerned people, but now it seems it's final. Japan is going to dump millions of gallons of radioactive water into the Pacific.
Apparently the International Atomic Energy Agency gave the ok. They say it's mostly harmless contaminated water. For me this is the equivalent of saying mostly harmless bullet in case someone shoots you.
If this water doesn't represent any danger, why is Japan throwing it away? Clean water can be distributed to the population, for cleaning, watering fields, showers, etc, right? If it's indeed contaminated, how did the IAEA give it the ok to be thrown to the ocean where it will endanger all sorts of life forms, including ours?
Millions of people in the pacific region depend on fishing to feed their families. What's going to happen to them if this water is not as "harmless" as claimed?

How much will this affect the Pacific Ocean, which already has a natural radioactive background?

The Ocean is Radioactive - Schmidt Ocean Institute

Wandering Monk

I stopped eating fish because of the problems the fishing industry had been causing. The high price didn't help. This issue with radioactivity is just the cherry on the cake.
Sometimes I don't know what to eat anymore.

Eat what you enjoy. The radioactive poison is not in the mere presence, but in the dose.