• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Japa Malas..knotted or unknotted...

Maija

Namashkars Friends !

I am in need of advise...

I want to purchase some japa malas but I have questions.

1) Do you use unknotted or knotted to help you keep count?
2) There are also japa markers, for those that have tried both which do you prefer?

All I know is I need something to help me keep track during meditation.

Thanks in advance :p

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Mine are knotted. I have three tusli (2-108 beads and 1-27 beads) and 1 rudraksha. Most malas I believe are knotted. And here's a tidbit I learned recently... unless you are initiated and have a vow to perform so many rounds of japa, a mala is not necessary. It won't hurt and there's no offense to use it, but there's no obligation for the non-initiate to use one. You can just keep chanting as long as you want. But I do like using it for the discipline.

Wannabe Yogi

I have tied each 108 rudraksha beads separately with wire.

Kind of like this.

wristmala1.jpg

It works great and if it breaks you don't have 108 beads rolling all over the floor. It is a very satisfying activity to bead your own mala.

Maija

Prayer Beads Mother of Pearl Chevron Amethyst by SacredStoneMalas

:eek: Your mala is BEATIFUUUL! I can't believe you made that..Did you have prior experience?

I'd love to make one...all the ones I'm really fond of are slightly out of my price range for a mala. I'll have to work with my mom, she's a beader..

Mother of Pearl Mala Beads

I think I'll definitely take your advise..and the time to do so thanks so much for your response and idea!
Mine are knotted. I have three tusli (2-108 beads and 1-27 beads) and 1 rudraksha. Most malas I believe are knotted. And here's a tidbit I learned recently... unless you are initiated and have a vow to perform so many rounds of japa, a mala is not necessary. It won't hurt and there's no offense to use it, but there's no obligation for the non-initiate to use one. You can just keep chanting as long as you want. But I do like using it for the discipline.

Interesting..I remember hearing this. Did it make you want to become initiated? Or is intiation a non-issue for you..

Curious. One wee side of me hears this and thinks well, eventually I'd like to be part of the club then :eek: .. this gives me a chance to practice my beliefs and see how well I'd be able to perform what is expected before I make huge changes..:shrug:

DeviChaaya

Jai Ambe Gauri
Premium Member
Both the ones I've made by hand and the ones I have bought are knotted. I had one which wasn't knotted and found it quite difficult to keep count. The knots make it easier.

Maija

Both the ones I've made by hand and the ones I have bought are knotted. I had one which wasn't knotted and found it quite difficult to keep count. The knots make it easier.

Thanks for your input Devi...I think I'll get a really simple one, I know a website that has rosewood malas for like $4.

I might stick with a simple counting string but not a 'necklace' shape.

DeviChaaya

Jai Ambe Gauri
Premium Member
Thanks for your input Devi...I think I'll get a really simple one, I know a website that has rosewood malas for like $4.

I might stick with a simple counting string but not a 'necklace' shape.

The point of the mala being in the 'necklace' shape - as you put it - is that once you have finished one round of the mantra and reached the guru bead you reverse instead of simply pulling the guru bead over your fingers.

I've found counting strings can be a bit tricky. I lose track if I don't have somewhere definite to end and then there's the problem that they can get really, really tangled. If you want to have a really personal mala you can always make one as well, they're very simple to make (if time consuming and frustrating...).

I think I've made four or five now. The only real problem is having cord long enough and figuring out a way to knot the cord so that it is nestled against each bead. But a little trial and error goes a long way! (As does loud cursing and giving up. If you're anything like me you'll fling the half finished mala across the couch and return to it the following day.)