• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jan 6 Rioter gets 87 month prison term

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
He deserves more.

Reffitt did not actually enter the Capitol with the horde of Trump supporters who breached the complex as lawmakers met to certify Joe Biden's win in the November 2020 presidential election.

He retreated after an officer pepper sprayed him in the face, but video evidence showed Reffitt egging on the crowd and leading other rioters up a set of stairs outside the building. ...

According to court papers, he had told fellow members of the militia that he planned to drag US House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi out of the Capitol building by her ankles, "with her head hitting every step on the way down". [ibid]
He should thank the officer who pepper spayed him for sabotaging his fantasy.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
He deserves more.

That is what was hoped for by prosecutors apparently, as per the article:

"...government prosecutors may have a harder time than expected in securing the length of custodial terms they believe US Capitol rioters deserve.

Prosecutors had sought a 15-year prison term, arguing Reffitt was "in a class all by himself" among Capitol riot defendants, and other rioters were "looking to him as their leader". "

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
F27E0FF3-A3EA-4682-A1FE-D3E0E23BCA83.jpeg
I don't think "Granny" will help...

Video: Grandmother, 69, with Cancer Reports to Prison for Jan. 6 Charges, Has Message for Americans

Misdemeanor, no prior conviction, 69 years old.... no mercy.
The law applies to all. (Apart from the rich).

Note the blindfold...

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Shaul

Premium Member
I can never understand why prison sentences that long are expressed as such: 87 months. Why can't they just say 7.25 years?
Perhaps because 87 is a bigger number than 7 and a quarter, damn the units. The dolts they want to impress aren’t known for their math skills.

Shaul

Premium Member
Anyone think President Biden, the “uniter-in-chief”, will give him a pardon?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Her sentence seems pretty lenient.
Excerpted from your link....
On May 24, she was sentenced to two months in prison and three years of probation and ordered to pay $500 in restitution by Judge Royce Lamberth of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia.
Lenient compared to what?

https://www.krqe.com/news/crime/former-murder-suspect-receives-two-years-probation/

Drug dealer receives probation

Rape case reduced to child abuse, defendant receives probation.

Walgreens robber receives probation

FBI lawyer who doctored Carter Page email gets probation

"NAY", I tell you, being a grandmother is a liability and not an asset!

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I'm sure there's a million cases we could all consider to be unfair in some way, but being a granny or not is irrelevant.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I'm sure there's a million cases we could all consider to be unfair in some way, but being a granny or not is irrelevant.
Correct... thus "no previous conviction, no evil intent, and a misdemeanor" should have, at the most, a probation.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Correct... thus "no previous conviction, no evil intent, and a misdemeanor" should have, at the most, a probation.
Having read all of the linked article, I disagree with you. "MAGAGranny" was making her contribution to the insurrection against the "stolen" election.

Last edited: