• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jainism Discussion

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
cept jains are polythesitic, and their monks wear stripes of clothes around thier mouths as not to breath in any living thing. and they believe in karma. almost every religion has teachers, orders, and ideals.

trishtrish10

true, and that is good except for the polytheism. but that is what they are taught. most people inherit their beliefs. it's not so common for anyone to change their family's religion or beliefs. that takes much sacrifice as one is in denial of his parents and/or upbringing. that would be like u becoming a roman catholic. it would take a leap of faith.

anders

There are many differences indeed betwen Jainism and Christianity of all flavours. As mentioned, Jaininsts belive in many gods. They don't belive in a creation; Jainism believes that universe and all its substances or entities are eternal. It has no beginning or end with respect to time. There is no need of some one to create or manage the affairs of the universe. Universe in run own its own accord by its own cosmic laws. Hence Jainism does not believe in God as a creator, survivor, and destroyer of the universe.

Jainist belive in reincarnation (many rebirths), whereas Christianity believes in one rebirth only.

Christians have no problem with agriculture; it is even a good occupation. Jainist don't engage in that sort of things, because they may harm worms and other creatures when plowing and harrowing. Jainists are even more aginst violence than Buddhism. Buddhism does not condemn unwilful killing of animals.

yes, and also, jains didn't ever seem to have the problem of running off and attempting to wipe out other religions/peoples/cultures ect.... because that is obviously confrontational... which would put it at odds with Christianity because Christianity is based on struggle with the world and ideological clashes. Matthew 10:34-36 Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to turn a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a dughter-in-law against her mother-in-law ---- a man's enemies will be the members of his own household.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
trishtrish10 said:
true, and that is good except for the polytheism. but that is what they are taught. most people inherit their beliefs. it's not so common for anyone to change their family's religion or beliefs. that takes much sacrifice as one is in denial of his parents and/or upbringing. that would be like u becoming a roman catholic. it would take a leap of faith.

What's bad about polytheism? I suppose that's for the debate thread, though...

Metempsychosis

Reincarnation of 'Anti-religion'
In theory. But not in practice. Most Jains now are henotheistic and there is debate as to whether it was ever atheistic even in the time of Mahavira.

Well the word henotheistic is a misnomer and was coined by a pervert called Max Mueller.Neither in Jainism nor in Hinduism,is there a thing that lies outside god.There is nothing outside God/Paramatman.Hence,there cannot be any other God.Henotheism refers existence of any other God which may exist side by side.This is wrong.

Jains more over do not believe in any creator-God,hence non-theistic.They just believe in one Super-soul,nothing else.

hindupridemn

Defender of the Truth
just because it is not a creator god doesnt mean its not a god. My understanding is that Mormons do not believe in a creator god but they are not atheistic.

Metempsychosis

Reincarnation of 'Anti-religion'
just because it is not a creator god doesnt mean its not a god. My understanding is that Mormons do not believe in a creator god but they are not atheistic.
But they are certainly not polytheistic.None of the Dharmic religions are actually polytheistic.