• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jainism and martial arts

M1key

Hi, I was wondering what Jainism philosophy had to say about the violent but voluntary sports such as boxing for example. Thank you for any hints.

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
Sorry M1key, I dont think we have any Jains here any more.

Im not a Jain but, from what I do know, I would imagine that Jains would not approve of violent sports. Even though its voluntary, its still causing harm. Jain monks wear mouth covering so as to not inhale bugs on accident, so I imagine that hitting someone in the head with a lot of force, though voluntary, would not stand, you know? That aggression will not stand, man.

But frankly, I really dont know.

M1key

Hi DreadFish, thanks for your answer. It doesn't seem that Jainism is very well documented, or that its members are doing much to popularise it... This and more questions have to remain unanswered for now.

Take care!

GURSIKH

chardi kla
hi Mikey ,

i asked above question from my Jain friend ,he says there is no restriction on any sport .

M1key

Hi GURSIKH, thanks for your answer. I take it your friend is not on this forum?

I was not far from Amritsar last year. :)

GURSIKH

chardi kla
he is my room mate at hostel , very soft spoken n helping ..;)

grt to know you was near Amritsar , may i ask where was you ?

M1key

It seems that Jainism is not well documented, it's hard to find comprehensive sources of information on it, and its members don't really care about converting others. Shame, because on the surface it seems quite pleasant.
Maybe your friend would like to answer some questions on Jainism?

Actually I was 500km away! I just noticed that; I thought it was closer. I was in Bikaner. I've been doing a research on Jainism to document my trip better. Here's one of my galleries: m1key.me/photography/highlights_from_india/

GURSIKH

chardi kla
hello Mikey ,

Jains are dispersed through out India , even at remote villages ,with big ancient temples , it seems at one time Jainism was a major religion of India .

my frnd is not much interested injoining the forum :(

r you presently in India ?.

M1key

Yes, it's a bit odd, most religions strive for more believers. Jainism seems to be different, as your friend has proved. ;)

I returned in December last year.

Gupta

Jain Philosophy has no restriction on sports, but one of it's fundamental principles is Ahisma (nonviolence). Even if the sport were voluntary, it would still be very strange for a Jain to participate in any violent sport.