• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jagannath candle

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
Namaste,

Jagannatha.jpg

Since last weekend, I am the proud owner of a Jagannath candle. I suppose it was made by a convert, as I know candles designed in this technique actually only from Christianity. As far as I know, Hindus use only butter lamps, because candle wax used to be made from animal fat (and nowadays from good petroleum :D). Butter "candles" are now available in esoteric stores in this country, but I don't have a brass lamp to go with them.

Anyway, I will keep the candle and not light it.

Do you think it's okay to put religious images on candles (which may then burn down)?

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
I am finding this idea little bit hard to accept. Candles are a Christian concept, but even then I don't recall seeing a candle with the image of Jesus on it. Esp. true with the sentiment that candles burn down. Recently I read Mahaperiyava's (Sage of Kanchi) note to refrain from using Hindu god images on throw-away things like wrappers, advertisements, bit notices, etc. I think the candle idea is similar to that. Sorry, Sirona. But my intention is not to offend.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
Do you think it's okay to put religious images on candles (which may then burn down)?

It's not something I would do. I feel that the images of deities should be preserved.

Recently I read Mahaperiyava's (Sage of Kanchi) note to refrain from using Hindu god images on throw-away things like wrappers, advertisements, bit notices, etc. I think the candle idea is similar to that.

I see it as similar, too. This reminds me that there is an American incense company called Gonesh. On the packaging of their products, they have a picture of Gaṇapati. As a Hindu who has some of their products, I cannot make myself throw away the images of Gaṇapati.

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
I see it as similar, too. This reminds me that there is an American incense company called Gonesh. On the packaging of their products, they have a picture of Gaṇapati. As a Hindu who has some of their products, I cannot make myself throw away the images of Gaṇapati.

Well, I know that some companies in the West intentionally put the images of Gaura-Nitai on bathmats and toilet mats. I hope it is not one of them that manufactures these candles with similar intentions! Not that the candle idea is that loathful, nevertheless somewhere inside of me it hurts to envision Jagannatha image burning down in a candle in someone's house.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Namaste,

View attachment 62087

Since last weekend, I am the proud owner of a Jagannath candle. I suppose it was made by a convert, as I know candles designed in this technique actually only from Christianity. As far as I know, Hindus use only butter lamps, because candle wax used to be made from animal fat (and nowadays from good petroleum :D). Butter "candles" are now available in esoteric stores in this country, but I don't have a brass lamp to go with them.

I see nothing wrong in it. In India many items come with images of God emblazoned in them (including perishable items like firecrackers etc).

upload_2022-4-13_19-30-39.png

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Namaste,

View attachment 62087

I hadn't ever thought of it, but no, now that you mention it, I can't see why a person would want to 'burn out' their deity image...

That being said, if you're not planning to burn the candle, and just use it as a Jagannath image for yourself, I don't see a problem. You make use of what you have, I suppose. There are some interesting videos out there on how to make paper murtis, and I think that's an excellent way of making the best of what you have, too.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Absolutely not, and agree with you that you should keep them. You can cut out the thread, so that it does not remain a candle any more.
I see nothing wrong in it. In India many items come with images of God emblazoned in them (including perishable items like firecrackers etc).
And we have a lot of such things in our house which we have not thrown away (including marriage invitations which will invariably have some deity image on them). The common practice is to leave them under a temple tree.

Last edited: