• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

J6 Committee unanimous

F1fan

Veteran Member
That is what the Swamp disinformation wants you to believe. The two Republicans who were placed on the committee, by Nancy Pelosi, both voted to impeach Trump, and gladly rubber stamp the inquisition; Liz Cheney and Adam Kinzinger

When the committee was first forming House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) had nominated Republican Reps. Jim Banks (Ind.), Rodney Davis (Ill.), Jim Jordan (Ohio), Kelly Armstrong (N.D.), and Troy Nehls (Texas) to sit on the Jan. 6 select committee. But after Pelosi vetoed the appointment of Banks and Jordan, McCarthy pulled the rest of his picks.
Since Jordan was implicated in the Jan 6 event it would be inappropriate for him to sit on a committee investigating it. That is the ethics of oversight. If McCarthy was ethical he would have cooperated with the aim of the committee. Ironically the two repubklicans who were part of the committee did excellent and ethical work, and the committee did not suffer from the usual sabotage that Jordan performs when he is on committees.

Pelosi did not want a genuine fact gathering objective committee. It wanted theatre before the execution; guilty as accused by the swamp.
False, this is right wing disinformation.

Are you aware that the Republicans formed a shadow committee to follow the Jan 6 committee? They reported on all the security failures that made it possible for Jan 6 activities. These include Nancy Pelosi not firming up Capital security days before the event, even though she was told this might happen. Most Lefty news media ignores the report of the shadow committee; radio silence. If it If it did not matter, you would have heard about it on CNN. Radio silence is coverup.
Kind of like the fake electors that were not authentic.

I did a Google search to help me remember who were the two first two Republicans McCarthy selected for the committee; Banks and Jordon. The entire first page of the Google search never mentioned them. All the links were connected to Cheney and Kinzinger. Why was Google ignore the question and hid the data? Different search parameters did not change the search results until I finally found what worked and I got what I needed. If I did not look deeper that a casual search, I would only ben able to read what scammers wanted me to see.
Conspiracy theory.

Try this for yourself and see how Google is part of the misinformation campaign. The Swamp appears to have infiltrated Google, just as they did Twitter. Going forward if the truth is important, take any Google search with a grain of salt. It is now part of the propaganda wing the swamp.
Google doesn't read your mind as to the result you wanted and your conclusion is a conspiracy?

This will be cleared up when the Republicans head the same Committees. You may have to go to FOX news since radio silence of the Left may be the only defense against the truth and their own involvement in the scams. They made need to posture for potential trials; plead the 5th.
The republicans are transparent insofar as they are corrupt, and destined to commit more fraud as if the American people aren't seeing them for what they are. Good luck in 2024 if the best republicans can do is more fraud and more coverup.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That is what the Swamp disinformation wants you to believe. The two Republicans who were placed on the committee, by Nancy Pelosi, both voted to impeach Trump, and gladly rubber stamp the inquisition; Liz Cheney and Adam Kinzinger

I had written, "The Republican leadership chose to not participate, and Pelosi found two that would. The Republican party quickly commenced to cannibalize them for that. The committee was fair and balanced. Simply claiming otherwise without providing evidence of impropriety is as ineffectual as simply claiming election hoax without sufficient evidence." I don't see a rebuttal in your reply, just a dismissal of my argument with a wave of the hand and two insufficiently supported claims of your own. The fact that Cheney and Kinsinger voted to impeach Trump does not imply that they would rubber stamp anything. The fact that they *DID* vote to impeach supports the position that they don't do that, which fact got them censured and primaried.

Pelosi did not want a genuine fact gathering objective committee.

I have no reason to believe that. Nor do I believe that the committee wasn't exactly that. Simply claiming otherwise isn't persuasive.

Are you aware that the Republicans formed a shadow committee to follow the Jan 6 committee? They reported on all the security failures that made it possible for Jan 6 activities.

No, I wasn't. Did McCarthy ever announce it publicly? Did he go to the J6 committee to testify about their findings, or submit a copy to Garland? When was it published and what did it find? Were there more than security failures? Did it discover who the perpetrators of J6 were or why was there a need for more security? You bemoan the media not doing enough to cover this story, so I'm surprised you didn't provide a link to the report.

I did a Google search to help me remember who were the two first two Republicans McCarthy selected for the committee; Banks and Jordon. The entire first page of the Google search never mentioned them. All the links were connected to Cheney and Kinzinger. Why was Google ignore the question and hid the data? Different search parameters did not change the search results until I finally found what worked and I got what I needed.

Funny. I already knew those names. I've been following the news. Perhaps you didn't refine your search parameters enough. I found multiple reports of the five committee members Mccarthy nominated that identified the two Pelosi rejected and why on the first try. Here are my search parameter and the results:

upload_2023-1-11_10-22-51.png

Ponder This

I disagree. The only people the committee had trouble questioning were those who refused their subpoenas.

And those that they didn't bother to ask.

Disagree again. The committee was obviously biased against those fomenting an insurrection.

Obviously biased!!! And, more than that, fully believed, without investigation, that Trump incited an insurrection...

You keep coming back to this. It's already been rejected as a legitimate complaint. Nothing has changed. The Republican leadership chose to not participate, and Pelosi found two that would. The Republican party quickly commenced to cannibalize them for that. The committee was fair and balanced. Simply claiming otherwise without providing evidence of impropriety is as ineffectual as simply claiming election hoax without sufficient evidence.

...yet also fair and balanced, because Nancy Pelosi chose them.

You've been clear, just not convincing. It doesn't matter to me that the MAGA Republicans object. It wouldn't matter if there were no Republicans willing to help the Democrats investigate the insurrection.

The objections of Republicans don't matter to you.

Yes. The committee's decision to refer for criminal prosecution was unanimous.

Their "decision" was already unanimous before they even began their investigation. Their vote to refer for criminal prosecution was a formality.

I don't believe that. They know he committed multiple crimes, but want them covered up. They made that clear twice, once in each congressional chamber. Many Republican congresspersons appear to be personally complicit. They also apparently don't want their taxes audited, as they're trying to kill the recent allocation of the funds to restore the IRS. They aren't difficult people to understand.

It's not just that you don't believe Republicans on this issue. You believe Republicans are fundamentally corrupt. This is how you understand them. It is easy for you to understand them this way.

Apparently not. Garland probably doesn't think so. So you think Trump shouldn't be investigated or criminally charged if there is a winnable case against him because the congressional Republicans who objected to an investigation, many of whom may have been complicit in the cries committed that day, many of whom described the insurrection as legitimate political discourse and peaceful protest, acquitted him in the Senate?

The acquittal in the Senate is a notable result that suggests that Trump may not be guilty of the stated offenses. But for you, this simply means Republicans are complicit in crimes.

Yes, they were. The Democrats don't exist to please or accommodate the Republican party.

The Democrats can choose to ignore half the country and they did.

Yes. I was fairly unfamiliar with Trump until the 2016 campaign, but it didn't take long to recognize who and what he was. By J6 it was clear that Trump orchestrated the attack. J6 testimony confirmed that he stood by watching the insurrections, aware that congresspersons and Pence were being hunted to harmed or killed, knowing that Capitol police were being assaulted, and refusing multiple requests to address his hooligans. Guilty.

I have been a part of a local email group that discusses current events. I was the first of about a half dozen to take a positive stand on Trump's character defects and criminality, but the others came around. Jack was a Trump supporter in 2016, who called Trump the lesser of evils relative to Hillary. That's not a strong endorsement of Trump, but he never spoke a critical word about him. He did, however, say that he had reregistered Independent and wouldn't discuss his vote for 2020, which he never got to cast, Covid taking him away (he refused vaccination). He never saw J6. I would have loved to have asked him if he still considered his original judgment about Trump being the lesser of evils correct.

In 2016, when Trump ran as a candidate for the Republican Party, you recognized "who and what he was". On Jan 6, it was clear to you that Trump orchestrated the attack. You saw "testimony" that he incited an insurrection watched the "insurrection", aware that Congresspersons (?) and Pence were "hunted to harmed or killed", knowing Capitol police were being assaulted, and refusing to address "his hooligans". Guilty? Nay, evil from the moment he ran in 2016 (according to your e-mail group friend, Jack, who died of Covid). This is your most compelling evidence. There is no need for me to rebut.

To improve the public perception of Trump in part by depicting the committee as unwilling or unable to generate a fair process or report. That's your apparent agenda here, which is fine with me. Mine was to rebut your argument. Sorry that you're insulted.

It's very important to you that the public perceive Trump a certain way. This report from the Jan 6 committee was supposed to help do that. All I did was point out the obvious: the committee members made up their minds about Trump well before their investigation. The charges they are refering to the DOJ are essentially the same as the impeachment charges that Trump was already acquitted for in the Senate.

Ponder This

Your claim that they should have questioned Nancy, was based on your belief in the falsehood that she was responsible for calling in the National Guard on January 6th. That claim is inaccurate and has been rebutted. But you're still claiming that the committee needed to question her.

Do you claim that Sergeant at-arms does not report to the Speaker?

Did you not notice that Nancy was fleeing for her life that day, same as everyone else? Do you really think she turned down security, knowing that her life and everyone else's were in danger, like, as she was fleeing the building?

I would've liked Nancy to answer those questions as well, but the Jan 6 committee decided not to investigate.

You should watch Alexandra Pelosi's new(ish) documentary. As already mentioned, there is a long scene in it where the camera is following Nancy Pelosi as she's fleeing and repeatedly asking where and when the National Guard is being called? Then later, there is another clip where she and Chuck Schumer are frantically calling Maryland and Virginia's governors begging them to send their National Guard in to help them. There is also a scene where they're talking to Mike Pence who ends up saying he's working on getting the National Guard to come in (as his life was also in grave danger). So sorry, but the story you believe doesn't make any sense, in light of the actual evidence we have.

I don't have a "story" that I believe about Nancy Pelosi. The Jan 6 committee didn't investigate to find out the truth. They didn't care. Apparently, you think her daughter's documentary provides unbiased answers to the basic questions of her critics. I think this is unlikely.

Trump obviously incited a violent insurrection. I know that the day it happened because I have eyes and ears. I guess if you don't want people trying to hold you accountable for your actions, you shouldn't do such things. :rolleyes: Poor, poor Trump. Perpetuated a fraud and a lie for months on end, incited an insurrection (for which he was impeached) and got people killed but is still somehow the victim. Gimme a break.

I see. You also decided Trump was guilty of incitement before an investigation even took place and you think that I should believe Trump incited an insurrection because you say that's what happened.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

I would've liked Nancy to answer those questions as well, but the Jan 6 committee decided not to investigate.

I don't have a "story" that I believe about Nancy Pelosi. The Jan 6 committee didn't investigate to find out the truth. They didn't care. Apparently, you think her daughter's documentary provides unbiased answers to the basic questions of her critics. I think this is unlikely.

I see. You also decided Trump was guilty of incitement before an investigation even took place and you think that I should believe Trump incited an insurrection because you say that's what happened.
Wait, you think that Pelosi should have been investigated when Congress was under attack:confused::confused:o_O?

And anyone that watched Trump's speech on January 6 where he repeated his lies and worked the crowd into a frenzy knows that he incited a riot. You appear to have left your critical thinking skills somewhere. Have you checked under your bed?

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
And those that they didn't bother to ask.

That's most of the world. They also didn't ask me anything, but I wouldn't say that it was because they had trouble asking me. They just had no reason to.

Obviously biased!!!

Yes, against whoever orchestrated that attack on America. Do you object tothat?

more than that, fully believed, without investigation, that Trump incited an insurrection...

So did I, and much of the world. The investigation was to determine the details of what led up to and what happened that day. We already knew that it was an insurrection headed by Trump from the available facts before the committee convened. So did the Republican party, else they wouldn't have done all in their power to prevent and later undermine that investigation.

If they thought Biden or the Democrats were behind it, they would have led the charge to investigate, and they would be convening committees now to revisit the investigation to dig up whatever evidence they think was suppressed. If they had no idea who did it, they would want to discover who it was along with the Democrats.

fair and balanced, because Nancy Pelosi chose them.

No, because they behaved as fair people do. You'd have to reveal evidence of unfairness to make the case that they did not behave honorably. You don't have that. Who chose them doesn't help one decide if they were fair investigators. Yes, Nancy's choices were fairer than Kevin's, but we know that because of who those people are, not who chose them.

The objections of Republicans don't matter to you.

Correct, but that's irrelevant to the discussion. I literally don't care what they say except for prognostication purposes - guessing what they'll do next. Why? Because as with the Taliban, Kim, and Putin, I don't share their agenda or values. I don't care what any of those others recommend, either.

Their "decision" was already unanimous before they even began their investigation.

Probably, at least regarding whether an insurrection and attempted coup occurred, and why. So what? That doesn't make the decision unjust, nor the process by which it was arrived at. It was also the correct decision.

Their vote to refer for criminal prosecution was a formality.

Yes, but an option, and one they were correct to choose. How hollow if they didn't. Garland was always going to indict if he could assemble a winnable case, and his own investigators could and probably did just that, although receiving one intact from Congress works, too.

You believe Republicans are fundamentally corrupt. This is how you understand them.

Yes, collectively as a party, and over 80% individually.

The acquittal in the Senate is a notable result that suggests that Trump may not be guilty of the stated offenses. But for you, this simply means Republicans are complicit in crimes.

It means that the Republicans would not convict Trump even in the face of compelling evidence that would (and will) convince impartial juries. Barring cowardice on the part of the DOJ and jury nullification by stealth MAGA on the jury getting past voir dire, Trump will be convicted of serious crimes against the United States.

It's very important to you that the public perceive Trump a certain way.

It is very important that criminals get equal justice whether they be former presidents or not. I'd also like to see equal treatment, but I'll settle for a fair verdict and a loss of freedom if convicted however much deference is paid to this particular suspect. He should have been indicted already by multiple venues assuming that's eventually coming.

This report from the Jan 6 committee was supposed to help do that.

The purpose of the committee was to elucidate the relevant facts and prepare a report. It was clear before the committee was even formed what some of those findings would be.

All I did was point out the obvious: the committee members made up their minds about Trump well before their investigation.

It pointed out Trump's complicity in the insurrection, and more.

The charges they are refering to the DOJ are essentially the same as the impeachment charges that Trump was already acquitted for in the Senate.

OK. Is this a double jeopardy argument? That claim has been made by Trump and rejected already. Jeopardy in this context refers to criminal liability for those charges. That's coming, but it will be for the first time when it does.

I notice that you opted to ignore my question, "So you think Trump shouldn't be investigated or criminally charged if there is a winnable case against him because the congressional Republicans who objected to an investigation, many of whom may have been complicit in the cries committed that day, many of whom described the insurrection as legitimate political discourse and peaceful protest, acquitted him in the Senate?" Maybe you'd like to answer it now. For that reason, I'm assuming that your answer is that you don't, that you think the Senate should be seen as a criminal court with a 100 member jury who has acquitted Trump of criminal charges, but if that needs to be amended, please feel free to make any necessary correction to make it reflect your position.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
They don't report "solely to Nancy Pelosi," no.

Now maybe try addressing what I said.

You don't think the answer to my question is rather obvious?

I don't have a "story" that I believe about Nancy Pelosi.
You certainly do. You believe the narrative Fox News has woven about January 6th. It's evident in every post you make on the subject.

The Jan 6 committee didn't investigate to find out the truth. They didn't care. Apparently, you think her daughter's documentary provides unbiased answers to the basic questions of her critics. I think this is unlikely.
It seems they did care, given that they set up the committee and invited a bunch of people to testify and everything. Dont'cha think?

Apparently you didn't even bother looking into what I said about the footage from that documentary.
You've got absolutely nothing to say about it, other than to dismiss it? No wonder you're so ill-informed. Hey, I bet it's been doctored! :rolleyes:

As I said, we all saw it with our own eyes. Well, the ones of us who were looking, anyway. The committee investigation just confirmed it another 15 or so times.
And nothing to say about the content of what I said again, eh? Just another brush-off.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
This is just literally what happened... I'm not sure how on earth you can deny this. He spread the lies, he told his people to march on Washington, he refused to denounce them long after they turned violent.

Ponder This

Wait, you think that Pelosi should have been investigated when Congress was under attack:confused::confused:o_O?

Yes, the purpose of the Jan 6 committee was, ostensibly, to investigate the events of Jan 6.

And anyone that watched Trump's speech on January 6 where he repeated his lies and worked the crowd into a frenzy knows that he incited a riot. You appear to have left your critical thinking skills somewhere. Have you checked under your bed?

I came to a different conclusion, which demonstrates the falsity of your claim that "anyone that watched Trump's speech on January 6 [...] knows that he incited a riot." Do you accept the falsity of your claim?

That's most of the world. They also didn't ask me anything, but I wouldn't say that it was because they had trouble asking me. They just had no reason to.

Nancy was there; she was the Speaker of the House; she made statements on video about the National Guard; they should've asked her questions; they didn't. Were you present on Jan 6? Did the Sergeant-at-arms report to you?

Yes, against whoever orchestrated that attack on America. Do you object tothat?

It suffices that you agree that they were obviously biased. I didn't make a claim that someone, if anyone, orchestrated an "attack on America".

So did I, and much of the world. The investigation was to determine the details of what led up to and what happened that day. We already knew that it was an insurrection headed by Trump from the available facts before the committee convened. So did the Republican party, else they wouldn't have done all in their power to prevent and later undermine that investigation.

Your response confirms my point about the predisposition of the committee.

If they thought Biden or the Democrats were behind it, they would have led the charge to investigate, and they would be convening committees now to revisit the investigation to dig up whatever evidence they think was suppressed. If they had no idea who did it, they would want to discover who it was along with the Democrats.

Nancy, Adam, and Liz are fair and balanced people because they voted to impeach Trump and Republican choices were not fair and balanced because they voted not to impeach Trump. This is obviously biased.

No, because they behaved as fair people do. You'd have to reveal evidence of unfairness to make the case that they did not behave honorably. You don't have that. Who chose them doesn't help one decide if they were fair investigators. Yes, Nancy's choices were fairer than Kevin's, but we know that because of who those people are, not who chose them.

I did reveal evidence of unfairness. For example, it has been established that the committee didn't get testimony from Nancy.

Correct, but that's irrelevant to the discussion. I literally don't care what they say except for prognostication purposes - guessing what they'll do next. Why? Because as with the Taliban, Kim, and Putin, I don't share their agenda or values. I don't care what any of those others recommend, either.

Probably, at least regarding whether an insurrection and attempted coup occurred, and why. So what? That doesn't make the decision unjust, nor the process by which it was arrived at. It was also the correct decision.

Yes, but an option, and one they were correct to choose. How hollow if they didn't. Garland was always going to indict if he could assemble a winnable case, and his own investigators could and probably did just that, although receiving one intact from Congress works, too.

Yes, collectively as a party, and over 80% individually.

Your responses confirm my point that the committee was biased.

It means that the Republicans would not convict Trump even in the face of compelling evidence that would (and will) convince impartial juries. Barring cowardice on the part of the DOJ and jury nullification by stealth MAGA on the jury getting past voir dire, Trump will be convicted of serious crimes against the United States.

The evidence failed to convince enough Republicans. Therefore, you say the Republicans are complicit instead of acknowledging that the evidence was not compelling.

It is very important that criminals get equal justice whether they be former presidents or not. I'd also like to see equal treatment, but I'll settle for a fair verdict and a loss of freedom if convicted however much deference is paid to this particular suspect. He should have been indicted already by multiple venues assuming that's eventually coming.

The process by which the outcome is achieved doesn't seem to be that important to you.

The purpose of the committee was to elucidate the relevant facts and prepare a report. It was clear before the committee was even formed what some of those findings would be.

This is further confirmation of my point that the committee already decided beforehand.

OK. Is this a double jeopardy argument? That claim has been made by Trump and rejected already. Jeopardy in this context refers to criminal liability for those charges. That's coming, but it will be for the first time when it does.

It's not my argument, but... it would be double jeopardy, by definition, for the Senate to acquit a person and then he faces charges again for the same crimes. The Constitution allows this double jeopardy if the President is convicted in the Senate (because the punishment of the impeachment trial doesn't extend further than removal from office). Trump was acquitted, yet the House committee sought to have Trump charged a second time.

I notice that you opted to ignore my question, "So you think Trump shouldn't be investigated or criminally charged if there is a winnable case against him because the congressional Republicans who objected to an investigation, many of whom may have been complicit in the cries committed that day, many of whom described the insurrection as legitimate political discourse and peaceful protest, acquitted him in the Senate?" Maybe you'd like to answer it now. For that reason, I'm assuming that your answer is that you don't, that you think the Senate should be seen as a criminal court with a 100 member jury who has acquitted Trump of criminal charges, but if that needs to be amended, please feel free to make any necessary correction to make it reflect your position.

It's a loaded question and a hypothetical, but now that I've thought about it if a President is acquitted of impeachment charges in the Senate, I don't think he should be charged again for the same crimes in another court. If the intention behind the Constitution was that double jeopardy applies on acquittal, then I think it would've been written so.

They don't report "solely to Nancy Pelosi," no.

Now maybe try addressing what I said.

You're hedging on the question of whether or not the Sergeant-at-arms reports to the Speaker. The correct answer is: the Sergeant-at-arms reports to the Speaker. This is a sufficient reason to have questioned Nancy.

You don't think the answer to my question is rather obvious?

I don't believe that you speak for Nancy Pelosi. Your answers to the questions, regardless of how obvious you believe they are, are not Nancy's answers.

You certainly do. You believe the narrative Fox News has woven about January 6th. It's evident in every post you make on the subject.

I think that you have a story that you believe about Nancy and this is why you think that you can answer questions on her behalf.

It seems they did care, given that they set up the committee and invited a bunch of people to testify and everything. Dont'cha think?

Feel free to link me to the part where the committee got Nancy's testimony.

Apparently you didn't even bother looking into what I said about the footage from that documentary.
You've got absolutely nothing to say about it, other than to dismiss it? No wonder you're so ill-informed. Hey, I bet it's been doctored! :rolleyes:

Your link to the footage was less than cooperative, but I took the liberty of seeking out footage of Nancy Pelosi on Jan 6 because of your insistence on its importance. As you already pointed out, Nancy Pelosi asked about the National Guard in the video footage. Additionally, Nancy Pelosi spoke about the Sergeant-at-arms in video on Jan 6. Even so, the committee, who's purpose it was to investigate the events of Jan 6, did not question Nancy. The video footage supports my assertion that the committee failed to perform its function.

As I said, we all saw it with our own eyes. Well, the ones of us who were looking, anyway. The committee investigation just confirmed it another 15 or so times.
And nothing to say about the content of what I said again, eh? Just another brush-off.

It seems to me that you see what you want to see instead of presenting compelling content. Literally your "content" was to say that you "have eyes and ears".

This is just literally what happened... I'm not sure how on earth you can deny this. He spread the lies, he told his people to march on Washington, he refused to denounce them long after they turned violent.

You literally failed, in your objection, to point out where Trump urged people to commit illegal acts (aka incitement). If you watched Trump's speech on Jan 6, then you know that he literally told people "I know that everyone here will soon be marching over to the Capitol building to peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard." If you were convinced, before any investigation occurred, that Trump incited insurrection, then you have only yourself to blame for it.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
You literally failed, in your objection, to point out where Trump urged people to commit illegal acts (aka incitement). If you watched Trump's speech on Jan 6, then you know that he literally told people "I know that everyone here will soon be marching over to the Capitol building to peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard." If you were convinced, before any investigation occurred, that Trump incited insurrection, then you have only yourself to blame for it.
You don't have to explicitly tell people to do something illegal in order to be guilty of inciting them to do something illegal. It can also simply be a consequence of your actions when you are reckless, ignorant, stupid and don't care about truth.

For example, if I were convinced that you were a child abuser (for the sake of argument, we'll say that this is a sincere belief I held, despite it being provably untrue) and I kept saying that you were a child abuser despite multiple court cases both demonstrating your innocence and exposing that my claim was without any valid evidence, but then I gathered a whole bunch of people who I had a great deal of influence over and told them to march on your house because you abuse children, but then I said "Oh, but please don't do anything illegal", and then that crowd marched on your house, smashed your windows and hurt you and your family, am I still responsible for inciting that crowd even if I told them not to do anything illegal?

Yes. I told them a lie. I convinced them of the lie. I told them to go to your house incensed by the lie. They were there because I lied to them, and I am the reason that happened to your family. This is basic responsibility. If a kid yells "fire" in a crowded theatre where there is no fire and three people get trampled, the kid doesn't get off the hook if they happened to also shout "please don't trample anyone". This is a very, VERY basic moral standard. If you don't understand it, then you are in no position to make any moral determinations about anything.

Hell, what Trump did was even WORSE, because he went the further step of NOT STOPPING THE VIOLENCE AFTER IT STARTED EVEN THOUGH HE EASILY COULD HAVE. He deliberately waited and did nothing LONG AFTER the violence started and he was told of it. When told that the crowd was calling for the death of Mike Pence, he said "Maybe he deserves it".

Continue to deny reality and spread lies. History will only remember people like you with shame.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I came to a different conclusion, which demonstrates the falsity of your claim that "anyone that watched Trump's speech on January 6 [...] knows that he incited a riot." Do you accept the falsity of your claim?

That was hyperbole. Everybody knows that.

Nancy was there; she was the Speaker of the House; she made statements on video about the National Guard; they should've asked her questions

Because you say so? This is just a deflection from the insurrection investigation, which was orchestrated by Trump, his orbit of consiglieres, and his soldiers - not Nancy Pelosi.

It suffices that you agree that they were obviously biased.

Being biased against insurrection is rational and consistent with the law that prosecutes people for doing that. Only irrational biases are a problem. I have thousands of rational biases. Accumulating them is synonymous with learning how reality works and how to navigate it to achieve desired results. I like some kinds of cuisine and not others, and so I have biases about which kinds of restaurants I'd like to patronize in order to optimize my chance of having a preferred dining experience. I'm very biased in favor of looking both ways before crossing. I also have biases against drunk driving. But these are all rational, like wanting to detail the anatomy of an insurrection and suspecting that Trump was the principal culprit based in the information available when it was decided to investigate.

I didn't make a claim that someone, if anyone, orchestrated an "attack on America".

I did. So did the J6 committee.

Nancy, Adam, and Liz are fair and balanced people because they voted to impeach Trump

They're all people who consider the threat to democracy witnessed on J6 to be a problem needing investigation and deserving of a congressional report. And they all knew that Trump and many others would be shown to be guilty by the committee after hearing the case for impeachment. You seem to have a problem with that. You seem to think that if they had an opinion before the committee convened, that it could not generate a fair and accurate report. That's simply untrue. The committee questioned witnesses and summarized their findings, then referred them for criminal investigation. We heard the witnesses on TV during the series of J6 committee public presentations. Guilty. It's not a difficult judgment to make. It may be difficult to prosecute for any number of reasons including jury nullification, but if Trump walks, it will be a failure of American justice.

This is further confirmation of my point that the committee already decided beforehand.

Before what? It was clear to me and millions of others that Trump had orchestrated an attempted coup using insurrectionists. What remained was to suss out just who was involved, when, and how.

it would be double jeopardy, by definition, for the Senate to acquit a person and then he faces charges again for the same crimes.

The purpose of impeachment is to remove a rogue president. There is no criminal liability with that process.

if a President is acquitted of impeachment charges in the Senate, I don't think he should be charged again for the same crimes in another court.

I do. Even if Trump had been convicted by the Senate, he should also be brought to a criminal court to stand trial. There likely will be civil litigation as well from people harmed that day. Giuliani was disbarred in two jurisdictions, I believe. He's still going to be indicted, and that's not double jeopardy, either.

I'm afraid that if you're telling the truth that you believe Trump was treated unfairly by the committee, you'll just have to live with that. I find it extremely difficult to believe that anybody more sophisticated than the low-information, red-capped MAGA crowd actually believe that Trump was railroaded. They're sure that Trump had the election stolen from him, and that Trump is being treated unfairly now. But you? I think it's more likely that you just don't care about what I and millions of others care about. We don't have the same values. Maybe you are being sincere, but your lack of interest in what happened except what Nancy Pelosi had to say tells me otherwise. Even OJ referred to finding "the real killer."

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Yes, the purpose of the Jan 6 committee was, ostensibly, to investigate the events of Jan 6.

Nancy was there; she was the Speaker of the House; she made statements on video about the National Guard; they should've asked her questions; they didn't. Were you present on Jan 6? Did the Sergeant-at-arms report to you?

It suffices that you agree that they were obviously biased. I didn't make a claim that someone, if anyone, orchestrated an "attack on America".

Your response confirms my point about the predisposition of the committee.

Nancy, Adam, and Liz are fair and balanced people because they voted to impeach Trump and Republican choices were not fair and balanced because they voted not to impeach Trump. This is obviously biased.

I did reveal evidence of unfairness. For example, it has been established that the committee didn't get testimony from Nancy.

Your responses confirm my point that the committee was biased.

The evidence failed to convince enough Republicans. Therefore, you say the Republicans are complicit instead of acknowledging that the evidence was not compelling.

The process by which the outcome is achieved doesn't seem to be that important to you.

It's not my argument, but... it would be double jeopardy, by definition, for the Senate to acquit a person and then he faces charges again for the same crimes. The Constitution allows this double jeopardy if the President is convicted in the Senate (because the punishment of the impeachment trial doesn't extend further than removal from office). Trump was acquitted, yet the House committee sought to have Trump charged a second time.

It's a loaded question and a hypothetical, but now that I've thought about it if a President is acquitted of impeachment charges in the Senate, I don't think he should be charged again for the same crimes in another court. If the intention behind the Constitution was that double jeopardy applies on acquittal, then I think it would've been written so.

You're hedging on the question of whether or not the Sergeant-at-arms reports to the Speaker. The correct answer is: the Sergeant-at-arms reports to the Speaker. This is a sufficient reason to have questioned Nancy.

I don't believe that you speak for Nancy Pelosi. Your answers to the questions, regardless of how obvious you believe they are, are not Nancy's answers.

I think that you have a story that you believe about Nancy and this is why you think that you can answer questions on her behalf.

Feel free to link me to the part where the committee got Nancy's testimony.

Your link to the footage was less than cooperative, but I took the liberty of seeking out footage of Nancy Pelosi on Jan 6 because of your insistence on its importance. As you already pointed out, Nancy Pelosi asked about the National Guard in the video footage. Additionally, Nancy Pelosi spoke about the Sergeant-at-arms in video on Jan 6. Even so, the committee, who's purpose it was to investigate the events of Jan 6, did not question Nancy. The video footage supports my assertion that the committee failed to perform its function.

It seems to me that you see what you want to see instead of presenting compelling content. Literally your "content" was to say that you "have eyes and ears".

Here you go:
Pelosi in the House | Watch the Documentary on HBO | HBO.com

The part I mentioned is towards the end.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
You don't have to explicitly tell people to do something illegal in order to be guilty of inciting them to do something illegal. It can also simply be a consequence of your actions when you are reckless, ignorant, stupid and don't care about truth.

For example, if I were convinced that you were a child abuser (for the sake of argument, we'll say that this is a sincere belief I held, despite it being provably untrue) and I kept saying that you were a child abuser despite multiple court cases both demonstrating your innocence and exposing that my claim was without any valid evidence, but then I gathered a whole bunch of people who I had a great deal of influence over and told them to march on your house because you abuse children, but then I said "Oh, but please don't do anything illegal", and then that crowd marched on your house, smashed your windows and hurt you and your family, am I still responsible for inciting that crowd even if I told them not to do anything illegal?

Yes. I told them a lie. I convinced them of the lie. I told them to go to your house incensed by the lie. They were there because I lied to them, and I am the reason that happened to your family. This is basic responsibility. If a kid yells "fire" in a crowded theatre where there is no fire and three people get trampled, the kid doesn't get off the hook if they happened to also shout "please don't trample anyone". This is a very, VERY basic moral standard. If you don't understand it, then you are in no position to make any moral determinations about anything.

Hell, what Trump did was even WORSE, because he went the further step of NOT STOPPING THE VIOLENCE AFTER IT STARTED EVEN THOUGH HE EASILY COULD HAVE. He deliberately waited and did nothing LONG AFTER the violence started and he was told of it. When told that the crowd was calling for the death of Mike Pence, he said "Maybe he deserves it".

Continue to deny reality and spread lies. History will only remember people like you with shame.
And, he collected all those people there, at that rally, in the first place.

Ponder This

Encourgaging someone to commit a crime is literally the definition of incitement.

That was hyperbole. Everybody knows that.

Then it should have been no trouble for him to amend his claim.

Because you say so? This is just a deflection from the insurrection investigation, which was orchestrated by Trump, his orbit of consiglieres, and his soldiers - not Nancy Pelosi.

Because it was the purported intent of the committee to investigate the events of Jan 6 at the capitol.

Being biased against insurrection is rational and consistent with the law that prosecutes people for doing that. Only irrational biases are a problem. I have thousands of rational biases. Accumulating them is synonymous with learning how reality works and how to navigate it to achieve desired results. I like some kinds of cuisine and not others, and so I have biases about which kinds of restaurants I'd like to patronize in order to optimize my chance of having a preferred dining experience. I'm very biased in favor of looking both ways before crossing. I also have biases against drunk driving. But these are all rational, like wanting to detail the anatomy of an insurrection and suspecting that Trump was the principal culprit based in the information available when it was decided to investigate.

You claimed it was incitement before investigation.

I did. So did the J6 committee.

You are aware of my objection.

They're all people who consider the threat to democracy witnessed on J6 to be a problem needing investigation and deserving of a congressional report. And they all knew that Trump and many others would be shown to be guilty by the committee after hearing the case for impeachment. You seem to have a problem with that. You seem to think that if they had an opinion before the committee convened, that it could not generate a fair and accurate report. That's simply untrue. The committee questioned witnesses and summarized their findings, then referred them for criminal investigation. We heard the witnesses on TV during the series of J6 committee public presentations. Guilty. It's not a difficult judgment to make. It may be difficult to prosecute for any number of reasons including jury nullification, but if Trump walks, it will be a failure of American justice.

My position is that the committee was biased in a way that was not representative of the House (and, by extension, of the people).

Before what? It was clear to me and millions of others that Trump had orchestrated an attempted coup using insurrectionists. What remained was to suss out just who was involved, when, and how.

You've made your opinion clear. Hopefully, you remain aware that there are many people who do not share your opinion. Just because you believe a thing does not mean that everyone else does.

I'm afraid that if you're telling the truth that you believe Trump was treated unfairly by the committee, you'll just have to live with that.

That's fine. It seems to me that the committee's recommendations with regards to Trump are of passing significance.

Here you go:
Pelosi in the House | Watch the Documentary on HBO | HBO.com

The part I mentioned is towards the end.

I'm not sure what I was supposed to get from watching a trailer about a video behind a paywall. Is there something relevant to the Jan 6 committee's failure to question Nancy about the National Guard? Also, the committee's failure to perform its duties in a nonpartisan way is not a reflection of my opinion of Nancy. I have a high opinion of Nancy. She was an excellent Speaker of the House and served the interests of Democratic Party exceptionally well. I'm sad that she stepped down as Party leader.

It seems that there are no new arguments coming forth, only repetition of existing arguments. I leave the final word to you all.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Encourgaging someone to commit a crime is literally the definition of incitement.
Correct. It's not "literally telling someone to do something unlawful". Trump did that. He told people to march on the capitol building, spurred them by insisting (that is, lying) about the election being rigged, and when violence broke out he refused to speak out against it.

He encouraged people, enflamed by his lies about the election, to take violent action against the lawmakers ratifying the election. He is responsible.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member

Then it should have been no trouble for him to amend his claim.

Because it was the purported intent of the committee to investigate the events of Jan 6 at the capitol.

You claimed it was incitement before investigation.

You are aware of my objection.

My position is that the committee was biased in a way that was not representative of the House (and, by extension, of the people).

You've made your opinion clear. Hopefully, you remain aware that there are many people who do not share your opinion. Just because you believe a thing does not mean that everyone else does.

That's fine. It seems to me that the committee's recommendations with regards to Trump are of passing significance.

I'm not sure what I was supposed to get from watching a trailer about a video behind a paywall. Is there something relevant to the Jan 6 committee's failure to question Nancy about the National Guard? Also, the committee's failure to perform its duties in a nonpartisan way is not a reflection of my opinion of Nancy. I have a high opinion of Nancy. She was an excellent Speaker of the House and served the interests of Democratic Party exceptionally well. I'm sad that she stepped down as Party leader.

It seems that there are no new arguments coming forth, only repetition of existing arguments. I leave the final word to you all.
As I said in the post you were responding to, the part I'm talking about takes places in about the last 20 minutes of the documentary.

I wasn't suggesting you should watch the trailer. I was suggesting you should watch the part of the documentary I am talking about. That link was for a reference, so you'd know exactly what documentary I'm talking about. You probably have to subscribe to HBO to watch it, as I do. Or just complain.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Correct. It's not "literally telling someone to do something unlawful". Trump did that. He told people to march on the capitol building, spurred them by insisting (that is, lying) about the election being rigged, and when violence broke out he refused to speak out against it.

He encouraged people, enflamed by his lies about the election, to take violent action against the lawmakers ratifying the election. He is responsible.
He even said he'd march with them, and apparently intended to, until he was stopped from doing so.