• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I've Sacrificed my belief in Evolution for Religion

Kapalika

Premium Member
I've recently committed to rejoining my family's religion (the Jehovah's Witnesses). In doing so I'm obligated to give up my belief in evolution. This is hard for me because I find evolution so logical.

To combat my resistance to rejecting evolution, I've been researching all the objections to evolution and studying all the arguments for creation. It's not working. I can't seem to give up my belief in evolution, despite the fact that it goes against Jehovah's Witness theology.

What should i do?

How do I manipulate my logical facilities so that I can genuinely reject evolution and genuinely accept creation?

My condolences on your situation. Often, we change ourselves because we want to be loved or accepted. To a degree that is normal and healthy, but like they say, "all things in moderation".

I'd make sure this is really, really what you want to do. It's totally possible to make you think it's true, through magical means. I wouldn't help you with that as I would find it unethical, but there is a way but you won't find it through logic or reason. My point in mentioning that is to illustrate that you have to really do something underhanded knowingly or not to convince someone even yourself to believe in YEC when you know that the evidence just isn't there.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
You know, if he were a good example, he would not be the only example
but of course, it is not about veering from "the herd mentality" anyway.

IF you had a case to present, you'd not have to misrepresent anything, would you?

Anyone who, btw, "abandoned a belief" when he retired, had no intellecual
integrity in the first place, and whatever they think or dont think now
is of no interest.
Also Steinberg is not a very good example to cherry pick. He still accepts the fact that life evolved, he only believes that "God did it". But as you know he was caught pushing a paper into a publication without going through proper peer review. A paper that was easily refuted and probably would not have made it through peer review without his help. He was not even fired from that position as creationists like to claim since he published it in what was already planned to be the last issue that he worked on:

Richard M. Sternberg - The Skeptic's Dictionary - Skepdic.com

Granted he probably would have been fired for that bit of malfeasance but there was no need. It was a rather cowardly way to end his tenure there.

It's totally possible to make you think it's true, through magical means. I wouldn't help you with that as I would find it unethical, but there is a way but you won't find it through logic or reason

Do you mean hypnotism? I've given up on trying to use imagination or logic. I need magic.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
I've recently committed to rejoining my family's religion (the Jehovah's Witnesses). In doing so I'm obligated to give up my belief in evolution. This is hard for me because I find evolution so logical.

To combat my resistance to rejecting evolution, I've been researching all the objections to evolution and studying all the arguments for creation. It's not working. I can't seem to give up my belief in evolution, despite the fact that it goes against Jehovah's Witness theology.

What should i do?

How do I manipulate my logical facilities so that I can genuinely reject evolution and genuinely accept creation?

This sounds like a bad idea that could very easily cause you perfectly avoidable mental health issues further down the line.

Kapalika

Premium Member
Do you mean hypnotism? I've given up on trying to use imagination or logic. I need magic.

Ya, hypnotism is one of the main components of magical work. However I would advise against you doing anything without knowing the potential pitfalls as for the more suggestible it can make' you a lil crazy if you don't segregate what's "in" and what's "out" of the hypnotism and do it too much.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I understand that. It doesnt devalue the quote. Like Micheal Jackson (case in point)...people stoped listening to his music because of his personal life.

The quote is nice. How does it change based on who wrote it moreso than how its written?
Well, I don't want to make too big a deal of this, but I suggest to you that if someone says "As Einstein said......", you are less inclined to think to yourself "Hang on a minute, is this really as true and wise as it sounds?" and more inclined to swallow it uncritically.

In fact, this particular saying is by no means always true. For many years I used to row, and I still sing in a couple of choirs. In both disciplines, one repeats the same thing over and over again, because one does get different results - one gets better (better rhythm and balance,faster, fewer errors, better phrasing, etc.) each time.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Well, I don't want to make too big a deal of this, but I suggest to you that if someone says "As Einstein said......", you are less inclined to think to yourself "Hang on a minute, is this really as true and wise as it sounds?" and more inclined to swallow it uncritically.

In fact, this particular saying is by no means always true. For many years I used to row, and I still sing in a couple of choirs. In both disciplines, one repeats the same thing over and over again, because one does get different results - one gets better (better rhythm and balance,faster, fewer errors, better phrasing, etc.) each time.

I honestly didnt know it was contributed to einstein until I found it couple days ago. The first time I saw it years ago, it had no author. After awhile, I stopped being picky. Some dont like abridged books, others do. Some like remakes, others dont. Some like ghost writers, others arent a fan. Some like movies with their books, others do not.

Some things are superficial to the actual context and beauty of its message.

Audie

Veteran Member
Also Steinberg is not a very good example to cherry pick. He still accepts the fact that life evolved, he only believes that "God did it". But as you know he was caught pushing a paper into a publication without going through proper peer review. A paper that was easily refuted and probably would not have made it through peer review without his help. He was not even fired from that position as creationists like to claim since he published it in what was already planned to be the last issue that he worked on:

Richard M. Sternberg - The Skeptic's Dictionary - Skepdic.com

Granted he probably would have been fired for that bit of malfeasance but there was no need. It was a rather cowardly way to end his tenure there.

OT of course

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
...How do I manipulate my logical facilities so that I can genuinely reject evolution and genuinely accept creation?
...in order to rejoin the JW's? You start with the assumption that Satan has deceived you, that you have not been living right and need to live in a godly way. Its pretty obvious to me.

Furchizedek

What should i do?

You have to give up the Witnesses.

shmogie

What should i do?

I would suggest you aren´t looking in the right places Macro evolution can be refuted. I find it interesting that the evolutionists sound like the most radical JWś when admonishing you to not leave ¨the truth¨. As an atheist/evolutionist who actually left their truth to find The Truth, it is possible, reasonable, and logical.

In your search to find the truth about macro evolution, you must be objective, and as far as possible ignore your previous indoctrination. I will message you with some information.

I am concerned with your reasoning as to why you are returning to ,Christianity, and your familyś organization. I understand those family pressures that may be responsible for this.

If you aren´t sincerely convinced, if you don´t have faith then you are being insincere with yourself.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I would suggest you aren´t looking in the right places Macro evolution can be refuted. I find it interesting that the evolutionists sound like the most radical JWś when admonishing you to not leave ¨the truth¨. As an atheist/evolutionist who actually left their truth to find The Truth, it is possible, reasonable, and logical.

In your search to find the truth about macro evolution, you must be objective, and as far as possible ignore your previous indoctrination. I will message you with some information.

I am concerned with your reasoning as to why you are returning to ,Christianity, and your familyś organization. I understand those family pressures that may be responsible for this.

If you aren´t sincerely convinced, if you don´t have faith then you are being insincere with yourself.

if that is the case then why do creationists lose almost every debate? Why don't you debate any longer? Most creationists start with a false view of evolution and lose by default. Would you care to join me on one of the threads on this topic? You could put your money where your mouth is so to speak.

shmogie

if that is the case then why do creationists lose almost every debate? Why don't you debate any longer? Most creationists start with a false view of evolution and lose by default. Would you care to join me on one of the threads on this topic? You could put your money where your mouth is so to speak.
I have debated evolutionists and atheists for years, most to a draw. When I, me, decides to re engage, I will. No more responses to, as is my rule, you become hysterical.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I have debated evolutionists and atheists for years, most to a draw. When I, me, decides to re engage, I will. No more responses to, as is my rule, you become hysterical.
No,just because you did not change your mind does not mean it was a "draw". And you are rather too quick to make a personal attack. When you are ready to learn I am ready to help you.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
What happened to Richard Sternberg that you find so objectionable?

From RichardSternberg.org | Smithsonian Controversy:
"In 2004, in my capacity as editor of The Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington, I authorized “The Origin of Biological Information and the Higher Taxonomic Categories” by Dr. Stephen Meyer to be published in the journal after passing peer-review. Because Dr. Meyer’s article presented scientific evidence for intelligent design in biology, I faced retaliation, defamation, harassment, and a hostile work environment at the Smithsonian’s National Museum of Natural History that was designed to force me out as a Research Associate there. These actions were taken by federal government employees acting in concert with an outside advocacy group, the National Center for Science Education. Efforts were also made to get me fired from my job as a staff scientist at the National Center for Biotechnology Information. Subsequently, there were two federal investigations of my mistreatment, one by the U.S. Office of Special Counsel in 2005 , and the other by subcommittee staff of the U.S. House Committee on Government Reform in 2006. Both investigations unearthed clear evidence that my rights had been repeatedly violated. Because there has been so much misinformation spread about what actually happened to me, I have decided to make available the relevant documents here for those who would like to know the truth."

RichardSternberg.org | Smithsonian Controversy

U.S. House of Representatives Staff Report (2006):
http://www.discovery.org/scripts/viewDB/filesDB-download.php?command=download&id=1489

U.S. House of Representatives Staff Report Appendix (2006):
http://www.discovery.org/scripts/viewDB/filesDB-download.php?command=download&id=1490

Sapiens

Polymathematician

What should i do?

Learn to lie to yourself (and others) and to live in a miasma of cognitive dissonance.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
From RichardSternberg.org | Smithsonian Controversy:
"In 2004, in my capacity as editor of The Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington, I authorized “The Origin of Biological Information and the Higher Taxonomic Categories” by Dr. Stephen Meyer to be published in the journal after passing peer-review. Because Dr. Meyer’s article presented scientific evidence for intelligent design in biology, I faced retaliation, defamation, harassment, and a hostile work environment at the Smithsonian’s National Museum of Natural History that was designed to force me out as a Research Associate there. These actions were taken by federal government employees acting in concert with an outside advocacy group, the National Center for Science Education. Efforts were also made to get me fired from my job as a staff scientist at the National Center for Biotechnology Information. Subsequently, there were two federal investigations of my mistreatment, one by the U.S. Office of Special Counsel in 2005 , and the other by subcommittee staff of the U.S. House Committee on Government Reform in 2006. Both investigations unearthed clear evidence that my rights had been repeatedly violated. Because there has been so much misinformation spread about what actually happened to me, I have decided to make available the relevant documents here for those who would like to know the truth."

RichardSternberg.org | Smithsonian Controversy

U.S. House of Representatives Staff Report (2006):
http://www.discovery.org/scripts/viewDB/filesDB-download.php?command=download&id=1489

U.S. House of Representatives Staff Report Appendix (2006):
http://www.discovery.org/scripts/viewDB/filesDB-download.php?command=download&id=1490
Why do you keep bringing up this incredibly dishonest man? Do you think you are doing your side any good when you reference a man that accepted evolution, but dishonestly published an article about intelligent design. And then to make matters worse either let others lie for him or lied himself for the movie "Expelled". His actions make ID supporters all look dishonest.

If one can't support one's beliefs honestly they are very probably wrong.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
"If the tenets of young earth creationism were true .......

This actually has no bearing on the subject. Nathantheprophet is studying the Bible with Jehovah's Witnesses..... We are not YEC's. In discerning all that happened on Day 6, and tying it in with Paul's words @ Hebrews 4, we have discovered that the Creative Days were not literal days.

Segev Moran

It indeed hard to give up things that seem logical in favor of things that are more enigmatic.
This is a very healthy way of approaching things. But instead i would suggest the other way around. Don't try and find why evolution is wrong, rather check why evolution makes sense and is probably the correct theory to describe life on earth.
What should i do?
I would start with changing the way you look at evolution as a belief.
Evolution is not a thing to believe or not. It is a theory that is tested, verified and presents accurate and correct predictions in so many purviews.
Evolution helped advance our scientific understanding of life in so many ways that most of them you might accept as trivial but they were not possible if we hadn't have a deep understanding of the evolution process.
So first step will be to separate the idea of evolution (that is a scientific theory) from something that is based on faith and assumptions based on unproven concepts.
It will be the same as saying you need to stop believing the moon exists because your religion says otherwise.

Can I ask what is the Jehovah witness approach towards evolution?

Segev Moran

What should i do?

Also, BTW, creation is not contradicting evolution. assuming we talk about the Jewish creation (genesis), it is still debatable today if the bible contradicts evolution or not.