• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I've Sacrificed my belief in Evolution for Religion

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Except that this quote has been attributed to a number of people and there is no evidence Einstein ever said it. More here: Einstein on misattribution: 'I probably didn't say that.' - Becker's Online Journal
I like the last line:" It’s not surprising that it has been attributed to Einstein, since everything but the Book of Genesis has been attributed to him at some point." :D

Eh. I dont look into all that. There are a lot of buddha's quotes. Many are nice but by how its written, its not from The Buddha. Shrugs.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Thank you. I just read it here on RF. I mostly check quotes, not this time. I still like the quote and seems valuable to me also in the context of this post [going against your own conscience and expecting it to feel good]. So I will take A.Einstein reference out [thanks for reminding me in time]

But it's also a good definition of perseverance too.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Eh. I dont look into all that. There are a lot of buddha's quotes. Many are nice but by how its written, its not from The Buddha. Shrugs.
Maybe you should. People try to ascribe a false authority to such things by attributing them to highly respected people.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I was just digging up vague memories of an interview with some professor from Brigham Young done some years ago. He impressed me as wise to compartmentalize his views because he said he could not reconcile them, if I now recall correctly.
Fair enough. That's just not the impression I got from this statement:
Monday through Friday, while doing their jobs, they believe in evolution. Sunday, they go to church and don't believe in evolution.
I don't think they stop believing on Sunday what they believe the rest of the week or teach something to their students that they believe is hogwash. I think that they just have a less literal interpretation of the Bible than other, more conservative believers do.

I compartmentalize some views myself when I know two things are both true yet I have as yet no way of reconciling the two.
Okay, I guess I can understand that... sort of. For instance, I see most of the Old Testament stories as being somewhat allegorical, and I definitely see the creation story that way. But that doesn't stop me from believing in God. Where you say you "compartmentalize" perceptions you see as irreconcilable, I would probably say that I just chalk the whole thing up to the fact that there's still a lot that science doesn't know, and -- if I'm right about there being a God -- there's a lot human beings don't know about what He's capable of. A prominent LDS scholar, Hugh Nibley, once stated, "You are never playing with a full deck. You never know how much evidence you may be missing, what it is, or where it is hiding." When I keep that in mind, I can allow a little more free-flowing movement between compartments.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Maybe you should. People try to ascribe a false authority to such things by attributing them to highly respected people.

I understand that. It doesnt devalue the quote. Like Micheal Jackson (case in point)...people stoped listening to his music because of his personal life.

The quote is nice. How does it change based on who wrote it moreso than how its written?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results”
But it's also a good definition of perseverance too.

I totally agree. I wanted to hear God's voice. Got rootcanal trouble and decided to surrender to God. After 6years I heard the universe/God say "Goto the dentist".
[No joke, I really did this and I heard the voice and I got a vision. Thanks for calling this "perseverence";)]
[Was not stupid. Toothache reflects intestines. Crohnpain was worse than rootcanal. Toothache was a direct indication if I ate right, resulting in no intestinal pain]

Last edited:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I understand that. It doesnt devalue the quote. Like Micheal Jackson (case in point)...people stoped listening to his music because of his personal life.

The quote is nice. How does it change based on who wrote it moreso than how its written?

Not sure that is true about Jackson - a few of his best are on my playlist - and I suspect he retained more fans than some others.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I totally agree. I wanted to hear God's voice. Got rootcanal trouble and decided to surrender to God. After 6years I heard the universe/God say "Goto the dentist".
[No joke, I really did this and I heard the voice and got a vision. Thanks for calling this "perseverence";)]

:D I think it all depends upon the situation - insanity/perseverance - could be either and especially the last if one is eventually successful.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
[No joke, I really did this and I heard the voice and got a vision. Thanks for calling this "perseverence";)]

Hmm. My laptop was stolen from my apartment.

I was calm. Went to get another one and a stranger stoped started talking (flirting), and gave me $50. (He was going to give me $100)

Then I went to social security (gov. pays my rent etc) and the lady that worked with me gave me $5.00 for lunch probably because I owed thr government and was shakin in my chair.

Couple other things happen within the same two weeks!

...then I got this feeling my aunt was going to die after christmas last year.
She died this jan 28, 2018. Her birthday was yesterday.

God? Christian would say absolutely yes!

Matter of perspective, I guess....

I wouldnt doubt you heard god. Makes me wonder....

I hate the dentist.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Not sure that is true about Jackson - a few of his best are on my playlist - and I suspect he retained more fans than some others.

Yeah. They literally (I ride the bus and hear all update news) just down him and, like the pope to former catholics, dropped MJ. Maybe they kept Jackson 5...but even his interviews, interviewers kept hinting around his alligations and personal life. Its sad.

stvdv

God? Christian would say absolutely yes!
Matter of perspective....I hate the dentist

I have to admit. Dentist never was my favourite. Rather had God take care of it. God gave first dentist to teach trust. Went 10 times to get all fixed and felt no pain, felt really comfortable. After he was finished with me, he left:mad:. God gives and God takes they say. My next dentist was horror. First time I screamed my lungs out from pain; really no exaggaration; afterwards I went to his assistent and said to her "Is this dentist a sadist". Worked miracles, I think the assistent told him this. He was so nice afterwards;). Being pleaser, God provided second dentist to make me say STOP sadist.
[Of course atheist would say "all coincidence". That's fine to me. I just enjoy to see divinity=consciousness in these little miracles]

Last edited:

sealchan

I've recently committed to rejoining my family's religion (the Jehovah's Witnesses). In doing so I'm obligated to give up my belief in evolution. This is hard for me because I find evolution so logical.

To combat my resistance to rejecting evolution, I've been researching all the objections to evolution and studying all the arguments for creation. It's not working. I can't seem to give up my belief in evolution, despite the fact that it goes against Jehovah's Witness theology.

What should i do?

How do I manipulate my logical facilities so that I can genuinely reject evolution and genuinely accept creation?

I think you are going to have to make a separation in your own mind between the authority of science and the authority of JW. You are going to have to hold to the position that JW is imperfect in certain areas. You can accept those truths which JW provides you where they work. If they don't then you should take personal responsibility for not propagating what you personally know/believe to be false. You can distinguish between different teachings within the JW tradition. Otherwise you are facilitating your own brainwashing.

You will be committing what I consider to be the highest cardinal sin of relegating your whole heart and mind to an authority which does not engage in a process of change and updating regarding their knowledge of the world. Any human epistemology (including science, including JW) which does not allow for change is one doomed for death and is, IMO, ungodly. But one problem or failure does not invalidate the whole so do not wholly discard JW for one flaw.

Just like Jesus suffered on the cross your cross to bear is an appreciation of science on the one hand and your faith (JW) on the other. If those two threaten to pull you in separate directions do not let go but suffer that "crucifixion". Do not give in to one side or the other.

This is the work of a true Christian in this day and age. You are on the path. Do not slip!

Audie

Veteran Member

Coz it would be weird, coming from Einstein.

Or else intended as irony.

stvdv

Coz it would be weird, coming from Einstein.
Or else intended as irony.
True. I read a lot of quotes that make me laugh at who "said" it. I shrug my shoulders

Some say Insanity and Genius are very close together
Considering this, Einstein might as well have said this
Why Are Genius and Madness Connected?
[Many normal people smoke,drink, indulge in eating.... knowing it's bad]
[The same experiment...too addicted to use common sense and stop it]
[Those people I don't expect to come up with such a smart line, instead]
[Einstein I expect to use common sense and quote this next to e=m.c.c]

Last edited:

1robin

Christian/Baptist
I've recently committed to rejoining my family's religion (the Jehovah's Witnesses). In doing so I'm obligated to give up my belief in evolution. This is hard for me because I find evolution so logical.

To combat my resistance to rejecting evolution, I've been researching all the objections to evolution and studying all the arguments for creation. It's not working. I can't seem to give up my belief in evolution, despite the fact that it goes against Jehovah's Witness theology.

What should i do?

How do I manipulate my logical facilities so that I can genuinely reject evolution and genuinely accept creation?

1. Do not fret or worry one bit about losing your faith in evolution. The truth or falsehood of the theory of evolution does nothing to add to or take away any thing meaningful significant in anyone's life. Completely ignoring or dismiss the theory will not cost you anything of any importance.

2. However that does not mean that the theory of evolution is devoid of truth. While no one has and no one ever will witness one species evolve into another species (referred to as "macroevolution") but it is an undeniable fact that that change within a species (referred to as microevolution) does occur.

3. I have not researched it in depth but you seem to suggest that the doctrine of the Jehovah's Witnesses do not allow for the theory of evolution. Now this is a problem. No one should believe in a faith which contradicts reality. The principle of non-contradiction states that if two claims to truth contradict each other, both of them can't be true. So it follows that either the claims of Jehovah Witnesses or microevolution are true or neither are. Since microevolution exist it stands to reason that the claims of Jehovah's Witnesses must be false in this context. So you need a faith that does not contradict biological facts. The claims of biblical Christianity are consistent with microevolution. The bible states that things (biological creatures) change within their kind (creatures that can breed with each other). So with all due respect I advise you to trade the doctrines of Jehovah's Witnesses for a faith that does not contradict reality.