• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I've got the blues

I've been trying to ignore this again, but it needs to be addressed. I tried looking into going back to Islam, but I'm troubled. There are no sects that will accept being gay or transgender and that's a big problem for me. I don't believe that God created LGBT people just for us to judge or hate them.

There is this group called Muslims for Progressive Values and I can get behind their stances, but they are a minority unlike more liberal Christians and Jews who actually have big accepting communities. This is making me feel alone and hurt again, and I'm just not sure if this is the right place for me after all. The connection to tradition is strong, but what good is that when the place you want to be doesn't even want you?

No hateful or anti-LGBT comments please. I'm not really in the mood to read comments like those right now.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I've been trying to ignore this again, but it needs to be addressed. I tried looking into going back to Islam, but I'm troubled. There are no sects that will accept being gay or transgender and that's a big problem for me. I don't believe that God created LGBT people just for us to judge or hate them.

There is this group called Muslims for Progressive Values and I can get behind their stances, but they are a minority unlike more liberal Christians and Jews who actually have big accepting communities. This is making me feel alone and hurt again, and I'm just not sure if this is the right place for me after all. The connection to tradition is strong, but what good is that when the place you want to be doesn't even want you?

No hateful or anti-LGBT comments please. I'm not really in the mood to read comments like those right now.

Find a non-religious way to connect to other folks?
Also there are secular Muslims: Secular Islam | Center for Inquiry

Kind of got me thinking though, without religion, how does one go about socializing with other people? I'm supposing you're looking for a support group. Do non-religious support groups exist?

CogentPhilosopher

Philosophy Student
@sovietchild i hope you know that statements like those are whst made me leave Islam the first time. :) I'm sure you make allah very proud when you act the way that you do.

D***..... Savage.

Well I can offer my two bits if you want to hear them.

1) Just because a movement is in the minority does not necessarily make it untrue.

2) The Qu'ran itself is anti-LGBT as indicated in these passages:

Qu'ran (7:80-84)
And (remember) Lout (Lot), when he said to his people: "Do you commit the worst sin such as none preceding you has committed in the 'Alamin (mankind and jinns)?
81. "Verily, you practise your lusts on men instead of women. Nay, but you are a people transgressing beyond bounds (by committing great sins)."
82. And the answer of his people was only that they said: "Drive them out of your town, these are indeed men who want to be pure (from sins)!"
83. Then We saved him and his family, except his wife; she was of those who remained behind (in the torment).
84. And We rained down on them a rain (of stones). Then see what was the end of the Mujrimun (criminals, polytheists, sinners, etc.).

Qu'ran (26:165-166)
"Go you in unto the males of the 'Alamin (mankind),
166. "And leave those whom Allah has created for you to be your wives? Nay, you are a trespassing people!"

These are relatively mild condemnations, but many of the hadiths and sira outright advocate execution.

But according to the Qu'ran you do not get to choose whether or not you will believe it.

Qu'ran (2:6-7)
Indeed, those who disbelieve - it is all the same for them whether you warn them or do not warn them - they will not believe.
7. Allah has set a seal upon their hearts and upon their hearing, and over their vision is a veil. And for them is a great punishment.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

I guess I don't understand why it's a question. Why not find a welcoming home that is in alignment with who you are and your values?

I guess I don't understand why it's a question. Why not find a welcoming home that is in alignment with who you are and your values?

I guess I just thought maybe there would be a way for Islam to be more inclusive. But, alas, those who are more inclusive seem to be within the very small minority, so it's a bit off-putting, especially with how mean and hostile some muslims can get if you come out as LGBT. Islam is where I come from originally, that's why I was looking to possibly go back.

Maybe it just wasn't meant to be, however, so I guess I'm still looking for my religious home. What a bummer. :(

Flame

Beware
Find a non-religious way to connect to other folks?
Also there are secular Muslims: Secular Islam | Center for Inquiry

Kind of got me thinking though, without religion, how does one go about socializing with other people? I'm supposing you're looking for a support group. Do non-religious support groups exist?

What? Really? o_O

As for socializing without religion, a gym, a club, the park, a bar and a multiple other places that religion doesn't come into play.

For non-religious/secular support groups.

https://www.facebook.com/faithfreegriefsupport

Recovering From Religion - Secular Therapist Project

Apostasy Project | New Humanist

Welcome

The Institute for Welcoming Resources - Local and State LGBT Organization Links

Just handful I found.

sovietchild

I have no idea why everyone on here seems to think that I am a man. No, I am a female.

And it's the way that you phrased your question. It came off as very rude.

That was not my question. Was your born as a woman or a man? If you were born as a woman, then my suggestion to you is to go out and look for a family of your own because thats what your nature is.

That was not my question. Was your born as a woman or a man? If you were born as a woman, then my suggestion to you is to go out and look for a family of your own because thats what your nature is.

Thanks for the suggestion, but no thanks. I'm too busy trying to get myself an education and career right now.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
***Mod Post***

Please refrain from derailing the thread or debating in this forum section. Posts that commit either or both of these violations may be moderated per RF rules.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
To find an Abrahamic Religion that accepts gays and other queer folk will be difficult, esp. if you're looking for one that allows gay marriage etc. because most Abrahamic Scriptures are clear that being gay is not acceptable. Or rather, oftentimes one can be gay but not participate in gay sex according to these Faiths. Abrahamic Religions are socially rightwing as a matter of course, so you are essentially looking for something that doesn't (and can't) exist.

Shem Ben Noah

INACTIVE
:facepalm: Why do I even bother sometimes?

Ma'am, you have no idea what my genitals or chromosomes look like, because if you saw me in real life at this very moment, you would see that I am, indeed, 100% female both in body and mind.

And yes, I have no idea why. I never once said anything on this forum to indicate that I am a male. If we're looking at what I just typed above, however, maybe it could be misconstrued that way. No, I'm not transgender. I'm just not straight, oops.

I find that almost always, people online guess the wrong gender for me. I make a point of never declaring my gender because it doesn't truly matter online.

I know little about Islam's stand on LGBT and don't actually care about the stand of Xianity.

All I know is that the Torah only mentions same-sex acts of men and is silent on women's same sex acts.

Any prohibition in Judaism on female-female sex acts is Rabbinic in nature, and therefore a man-made law.

SabahTheLoner

Master of the Art of Couch Potato Cuddles

As someone who respects those who follow Islam and supports LGBT rights, I would like to present you with an excellent talk that I hope will inspire you.

I don't have much advice except to let your heart, not your mind, make your choice. There are a lot of us who are minorities and happy to be that way.

Islington

There is this group called Muslims for Progressive Values and I can get behind their stances, but they are a minority unlike more liberal Christians and Jews who actually have big accepting communities.

Oh, I am sure those of the Christians and Jews started small as well. It takes years or even centuries to grow big, be it a religion, a social right, a tree, this forum. But they last.

Maybe you could find comfort in this small group. You could even help it grow by your simple presence, maybe help to make a change.